JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So A LOT and I mean A LOT!! of people watch Walking Dead, and rightfully so, it's a great show. I recently started watching Falling Skies as I've heard some good things from friends about it. I noticed that there is absolutely no muzzle awareness on the shows. It's almost laughable how bad it is.

My ask or topic of discussion is whether or not any of you watch these type of SHTF shows and can actually take anything useful from them?

Personally, I have mixed thoughts. There are some things that would/could make sense in a time like that but the other 90% of the time, I'm like this is dumb and would only work because its TV.

Thoughts?

I feel an actual long term SHTF situation would be a lot of monotonous foraging, guarding, surviving type stuff interrupted occasionally by some bad scary interactions with strangers.

Big City = more interactions
Country = less interactions, maybe even some neighborly teamwork?

I completely agree. I'm on the fence of what I would prefer. Ideally I would be somewhere country-ish but be able to get to a suburban/city like place to forage for food/supplies/fuel.

I feel an actual long term SHTF situation would be a lot of monotonous foraging, guarding, surviving type stuff interrupted occasionally by some bad scary interactions with strangers.

Big City = more interactions
Country = less interactions, maybe even some neighborly teamwork?

As far from any urban area as possible and permanent residency in Ghillies.
And in the ugliest most evil terrain that you can find. No one else will want to deal with it, just make sure it has water in easy reach.

Last Edited:
In a real collapse, in fact- one of the signs of a real collapse, will be that there are no "authorities" ...at all, and the former police have either gone, or become gangsters themselves.

The idea that SHTF and the governmental structure somehow remains intact has proven historically to be a fantasy. A key survival skill is to be able to recognize when the old ways have passed and the new ones have begun.

Those who are too slow to figure it out will have a rough week.

More than any particular plot line, TWD demonstrates that those who adapt, and who do so in a group, have the best chance of success; much more than any individual or those who try to play a new game using obsolete rules.

I watch TWD for plot of how lame "Holy"wood thinks they can adapt a cartoon into a realistic show.

It is television.

Mostly crap - but especially any kind of "reality" show.

"Walking Dead" started off with a huge flaw.

The setting - the deep south - gun country.

There are a LOT of dead people.

The living have trouble finding guns and ammo??? :rolleyes:

I am not sure if this is a plot device, or if it is because the writers are from California and think that the rest of the country is like their home state and guns are severely restricted. Even in California though, guns and ammo would not be hard to find if almost everybody was dead - there would be plenty to go around.

TV is just entertainment, not much reality there. We all have our own ideas about what a real SHTF would be like but I have never met anyone who has been through one.

As unprepared city dwellers are forced to migrate away from the cold, darkened, violent, under nourished, gang controlled, population centers, they will strip any forage bare within a few days and will be running out of rats in 2 weeks. The bigger the metropolitan area the bigger the "dead zone" around it that they'll create. If you have a prepared location to go to, get there fast, don't waste time foraging in town. if you're under 20 miles outside of a city you're actually in town, just closer to the exit.
The city folk that remain in town will probably see 1)localized unorganized looting and use of weapons to defend their stuff. 2)shootings cause authorities to "confiscate weapons 3) gangs become more organized and now are pretty much the only ones armed 4) civilians are moved to "safe" places by authorities and the cops that took your guns now take your food and supplies for use in the Centers.

BUT

If 95% of the population died and turned into Zombies within a few days.....THAT would be a piece of cake...zombies don't use gas, canned goods, weapons/ammo, first aid stuff, or drink whiskey, the stores would be fairly well stocked.:)

And the cops turn into ZOMBIES TOO..As do the keepers of the camps..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top