JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gone to Texas ( Josey Wales ) by Forrest Carter...
This will be followed by The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales...also by Forrest Carter

The Book Gone to Texas is what the film The Outlaw Josey Wales was based on....much of the novel made it into the movie...including many of the same lines , often word for word...nice when that happens...:D
Andy

They are indeed ...I've read them before so this is more of a re-read...but well worth the re-visit.
Just looked up the first novel in hard cover...yes I am a book snob....9 grand was the cheapest that I found it....:eek:
Andy

I'm rather a book snob myself. A first edition hard cover would be a treasure, but at $9k?

Considering how well Eastwood did with Outlaw Josey Wales, it's really too bad the sequel movie adaptation of Vengeance Trail was such an abomination.

Interesting choice @BrandonQuixote. I'm so old that I was taught Latin in elementary school.
Notice that I said taught, not necessarily well learned or retained. ;)
I took 11 years of French and during the tail end of year eight we learned Latin. I remember enough to be enthralled by the lack of sentence structure rigor but daunted by the sheer number of consequential conjugations for EVERY WORD.
As for "The Pamphlet", it was a smooth, short read. Easier to digest but not as profound as Meditations by Marcus Aurelius- which is still my favorite despite the density and my lack of cognitive horsepower.

CJ Box, Vicious Circle
13 Hours
Just finished Off the Grid
still working on Hamilton and my 2nd go-round of Ulysses.
A 400 page service manual on 300-ton McQuay, air-cooled chillers.

Another 200 page operations manual on Daikin VRF systems.

Another manual on laser-alignment of motor shafts to pump shafts.

A book called, "Awesome Sheite My Drill Sergeant Said"
Ya, prolly going on 2,000+ pages of software manuals this year. Did you write that last book, "Awesome..."? Or is it just a few words ? :D

I'm rather a book snob myself. A first edition hard cover would be a treasure, but at $9k?

Considering how well Eastwood did with Outlaw Josey Wales, it's really too bad the sequel movie adaptation of Vengeance Trail was such an abomination.
Yeah that was my thought...
Be nice if a hard back re-print were to be made available....
And yes again , the sequel with Michael Parks was ....well those words which best describe it...I cannot utter here on site...:eek: :D
Andy

Just finished Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper for the 2nd time
and tonight I will start Outlander by Diana Gabaldon for probably the 5th time :)

Just finished Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper for the 2nd time
and tonight I will start Outlander by Diana Gabaldon for probably the 5th time :)

I remember coming home from work and not to gently pulling Outlander out of my wifes hands, so I could catch up to where she had read to, otherwise I wouldn't get dinner. The TV Series is good, but not as good as the books.

Last Edited:
The Enchiridion by Epictetus

One of my favorites. From time to time over the decades, I will take down our old copy of his works.

leib4-jpg.jpg

Gone to Texas ( Josey Wales ) by Forrest Carter...
This will be followed by The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales...also by Forrest Carter

That takes me back. I read Gone to Texas many moons ago whilst living in eastern Oregon. I don't believe I read the other book. Perhaps I will have to rectify that. :)

Expect to finish up Tolkein's Return of the King tonight....for the 1000th time. The trilogy was my into to the fantasy genre, and I get back to it ever year or two. Poetic writing, epic scope, and relaxing. Love it. Liked the movies, but the books are the best.

Downloadable audiobooks, free from the library, in the earbuds during all my projects or Bluetooth in the car and truck. Started listening at 1.25x speed about 200 books ago and never went back to 1:1.

reading 1.jpg

There are two houses in my area where they have "open library" boxes at the end of their driveway. Fantastic idea, and I occasionally drop off and take books.
I used to hoard books that I had read - several walls of them. Got rid of that habit and the books.

On my phone while waiting for Dr appointments, oil changes and what not Jack Londons White Fang, Next to my end of the couch Elmer Kieths Hell I was there. For winter reading the series Thunder Over the Ochoco by Gale Ontko

I just finished the first two "Sharpe's" novels by Bernard Cornwall. Pretty good British military fiction set around the Napoleanic War era.

If I remember correctly, this was a TV series adaptation many years ago. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

My current reading: American Colonies, The Settling of North America, by Alan Taylor. 2001.

I'm a reader. Other books I've read this Summer:

Engines of War, by Christian Wolmar. 2010. History and role of railroads in warfare.

The Berlin Wall - A World Divided, 1961-1989, by Frederick Taylor. 2006.

Funeral in Berlin, by Len Deighton. 1964. A re-read for fun.

The Last Defector, by Tony Cape. 1991. Fiction, just for fun like eating a roll of Necco wafers. And about as substantial.

Avenue of Spies
, by Alex Kershaw. 2015. Concerning the French resistance and American supporters in WW2

Arsenals of Folly, by Richard Rhodes. 2007. History of the Nuclear arms race. This is a follow-up book to the author's work, The Making of the Atomic Bomb.

Blood, Tears and Folly: An Objective View of World War Two, by Len Deighton. 1993. Third time around for reading this one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top