JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The first blade designed by James & Resin Bowie, a match pair were made by R Searles of Baton Rouge LA. Resin gave his to Col. Fowler, the commander of the Alamo, where it sits today. Ive held mine over the glass case to see how close it was. Jim Bowie's knife is in the Santa Anna Museum in Mexico City.

Dixie Gun Works had 1000 of them made, mine is 386. With a 1750s Heron war hawk, they made a deadly pair

bowie-knife-sheriff-jim-wilson.jpg

View attachment 429077 Here are my SHTF knives. In reality, I'd probably only grab one. Which one?

On the left is a custom slasher/skinner which I picked up at a show.
Next is my Damascus drop tip, bone handled hunter
Next is my Gerber Guardian II
And finally, my Damascus Kukri

If I could only take one, which one should it be?

Lets see if we are thinking alike :)

Love that Kukri

This one, my K-Bar & a slew of other cheaper knives that all have one or more specific tasks.
Expensive knives can break as easily as their cheaper cousins but are easily replaceable.

Like my AR'S, I'm not snobbish with my edged weapons, they are functional not fantasy objects. Zombies don't care about how much that piece of steel costs.:p 20170905_212839.jpg

212ebmu.png

Starting from the left:

#3 or #4 (Morakniv)
and
#5 or #6 (Prodigy or LMFII)
and the BG folder second from the right
and the British belt axe on the right
and not pictured, one of my Fallkniven F1s
and the multitool

Last Edited:
I picked up a couple of these for various bags and the cars, inexpensive, not a care to them getting lost, fairly freaking sharp, fairly durable from my torture tests.

upload_2018-11-19_19-5-37.jpeg

I picked up a couple of these for various bags and the cars, inexpensive, not a care to them getting lost, fairly freaking sharp, fairly durable from my torture tests.

View attachment 519833

On another forum some person complained about these being made of cheap chinese steel. I have a number of BG folders I picked up for about $15 each. I took one and batoned it and otherwise abused it beyond what anyone would do with a folder, and for the most part it held up. The lock got a little wiggly side to side, but it stayed locked. For $15 you can't ask anymore than that. They are light, rubbery grips/scales, sharp blade, good shape.

I remember someone here (or maybe elsewhere) talk about how polymer Glock frames turn brittle over time. I did a vid of where I pounded on a first gen Glock 21 frame that was about 25 years old with a sledge hammer against a concrete floor. It showed no sign of cracking or bending permanently.

I think people just like to repeat what they hear online that reinforces their biases without thinking about them, much less actually testing them out.

Had a Gerber mkII, snapped the tip off on a rib bone.
Sent it back, got another, gave it away.
One had many over the years. Still do.
That said the new ones I refuse to own.
Mid to late 80s is as new as I can go.with them.
Actually have an 83 year in route as we speak

The command and guardian 2 are a little harder to find these days.

Bought from a local on the trail someplace down the river from Kangjang, Nepal in 1980. Limbs trees as fast as a chainsaw. I'm going to rebuilf the handle this winter = the original was smallish for my hand and didn't hold up to the use I put it to.
upload_2018-11-19_21-27-15.png

This is my go to every thing went to hell knife! It's incredibly sharp, stays sharp and is balanced so well, you hardly know it's as big as it is! It chops, slashes, and splits as well as any! They don't get much better then this!
s-l1600.jpg

I have many, for many different purposes. However, I received a blank from my father in law that will be on my side permanently once finished.
IMG_20181127_083416112.jpg
440c, will temper it and add scales soon, then sharpening. I likely won't polish it, but who knows.

Bought from a local on the trail someplace down the river from Kangjang, Nepal in 1980. Limbs trees as fast as a chainsaw. I'm going to rebuilf the handle this winter = the original was smallish for my hand and didn't hold up to the use I put it to.
View attachment 519903
3mta3... interesting local khuk... What is the blade length, about a foot? I'll bet it has taken care of business from time to time as needed, and "The use (I) put it to" is what it was designed and built for... Im a khuk freak and am just drawn to them. Lotta good life left in that one. A new grip, some fine grit to restore the finish, and a trip to a fine grit sharpening belt.. be just like new!:D
Have you decided on what you will use as grip material? Many of the originals used shisham wood, a strain of Indian rosewood.. there are a lot of ways you could go with that. Even the right piece of elk antler... So many of the khuks ya see made for the local trade have incredibly small grips. Is that tang a rat tail or something longer/larger? I have trust issues with rat tail khuks but Ive never known one to break.
Good luck and may it live long and prosper:p.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top