JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Swamprat Rodent 9 (factory photo below). Also have some Scrapyard models, an Ontario RAT, and a Fallkniven. But the Rodent 9 is the biggest chopper I've got.

rodent9_sm.jpg

Just looking at the economy version of the knife route:
Anyone used the CTD "rough use knifes"?
I have 3.
Two are in the trunk and the other is what I tote around with my job for what ever may arise. For $10 and with a decent sharpener I've managed to really get the job done a few times. Also thinking about the CTD machete package 5 for $20.
Now before the gear elitists chime in: if i can get the job done with a more than durable enough firearm and/or knife why wouldn't I?
I understand some metals used are far better in quality but if I'm going to be banging the heck out of it and if I want to stock up it doesn't make much sense to shell out $60-$200 for a knife that I could get for $10-20-50 that is going to do the same thing as the $200 one.
Just my .02
I'd rather spend the saved money on ammo anyhow. :)

Now before the gear elitists chime in: if i can get the job done with a more than durable enough firearm and/or knife why wouldn't I?

I'll chime in; I like really nice quality gear and buy it if I can afford it. When it comes to knives there is no doubt that many inexpensive knives can be made sharp. How long they hold that edge, and how much abuse they can take, is a function of the steel used and the manufacturing techniques. To me the Scrapyard or Swamprat knives are an excellent value; quite literally the last knives you may ever buy. I've owned a lot of inexpensive knives and they haven't lasted that long or been able to hold an edge well. So I'm happy with the investment in better quality knives.

That said, if you can find something that works for you and does the job, and is inexpensive, that sounds like a winning combination to me.

I have a fairly modest collection of knives. I would be hard pressed to figure out just one to take, and most likely I would end up taking at least 3 or 4 in a SHTF situation. I would also makes sure I had someone with me to take some others. Guns are great for protection, but for survival purposes nothing beats a knife. They are the most versatile tool ever created, and absolutely vital when your life is on the line.

Here is a list of some of the knives I would have on me:
Bark River Northstar (great all around woods/survival knife)
Spyderco Endura
Bark River Micro Canadian II (very small but awesome for those small tasks, and food prep)
Leatherman Juice S2

If I had a Bark River Candadian Special (which I hope to get some day soon) I would swap that with the North Star and make my wife carry the North Star instead :)

A Gerber <broken link removed> from back when they were still made in Oregon and a Gerber <broken link removed> equally old. (Their first locking model from, what, 1998? The linked one is the closest they make now, yes, I have the bit-driver set to go with it, although the sheath is getting a bit broken down.)

Why those? Because those are what I carry all the time. If you don't have it with you, it doesn't count. Yes, I have a nice machete (very good for chopping blackberries,) and good fixed-blade 'camping' knife, but those don't get carried with me. (Any more than my SKS gets carried with me. Yeah, an SKS with a 75-round drum magazine is a *GREAT* SHTF weapon, but if I'm not at home when whatever happens, it doesn't matter.)

Ive got my bob loaded up and take it almost everywhere. It has my swamp rat and a changeable blade knife skinner and saw combo and ive always got my letherman blast in a pocket...

When it comes to spending extra on a knife... well i got my swamp rat when i was 17 and it did anything i wanted. Built shelters, cut firewood chopped brush cleaned my gutters( might be a better tool for this but wwhatever.

Multiple knifes are a great idea.

And to you with the sks... start taking it with you... i take a couple ammo cans with riffle and pistol ammo and mags for my xd thats always on my hip and my ar thats sitting in the trunk 3 out of 4 times.

Would hatchets or tomahawks ect be included to this thread?

Cold Steel special forces shovel. Looks like a shovel, works like a tomahawk... :)

I bought it on a lark but decided to play around with it in the garden one day. It is almost as good as a hatchet for going through roots and hacking branches off of bushes and trees. I like my Gerber machete but I think the blows can be focused better with the Cold Steel shovel. Haven't tried throwing it yet but I have sharpened it and it is right at home in the Jeep for whatever I might need it for. Who knows, I might even dig a hole with it one of these days... :)

Cold-Steel-92SF-rw-7711-1110.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads