JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard Tung Oil is not the best for outdoor use.
Doesn't stand up to weather well and needs constant attention.
Might've been better using some kind of poly on there.
Nice looking gun, though. I like it.

Dean

I'm not likely to carry this out into the jungle, thankfully. Also, the finish is a water sealant normally used for countertops and such, so I think it'll be okay for light duty handling. A coating of poly or shellac might be in order, but I didn't want to mess with the gloss after getting it just right!

I have quite a few but this is my favorite....1978 marlin original golden 39

20200112_173838.jpg

I'm not likely to carry this out into the jungle, thankfully. Also, the finish is a water sealant normally used for countertops and such, so I think it'll be okay for light duty handling. A coating of poly or shellac might be in order, but I didn't want to mess with the gloss after getting it just right!
Just saying, there are modern finishes that will work better against the weather than Tung or Linseed oils.
However, it is your gun. If you're happy with what you have, then that's all that counts.
...and it is a good lookin' rifle. Enjoy.
Peace.

Just picked up this 1947 Remington 521-t junior special .Just need a Lyman 57rs peep sight

Attachments

• 20200519_144257.jpg
    20200519_144257.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200519_144317.jpg
    20200519_144317.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200519_144413.jpg
    20200519_144413.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 130
I completely realize this post is useless without pictures which I will get this weekend, but just finished up putting together a Tikka T1x in 17hmr. Decided to build something much simpler than my 22LR this time around. Went with a B&C Sporter stock in Olive Drab, Sterk bolt handle, Mountain Tactical 20moa, Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x optic and a carbon fiber Death Grip tripod for sage rat hunting. Can't wait to get this out on Saturday and push it out to 300y.

[QUOTE="bogeycentral, post: 2578787, member: 6821"]I completely realize this post is useless without pictures which I will get this weekend, but just finished up putting together a Tikka T1x in 17hmr. Decided to build something much simpler than my 22LR this time around. Went with a B&C Sporter stock in Olive Drab, Sterk bolt handle, Mountain Tactical 20moa, Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x optic and a carbon fiber Death Grip tripod for sage rat hunting. Can't wait to get this out on Saturday and push it out to 300y.
[/QUOTE]

Well, YOU said it.

Here's one you don't see every day. Marlin Model 56 Levermatic. .22 LR. My cousin gave this one to me some time ago, it was the first gun he ever bought. He told me, "It don't look like much now, but back when it was new, the Levermatic action was pretty hot stuff." These have a very short throw lever action. And right after that, the semi-autos started saturating the market. This thing has an all steel receiver, I think a bit later they were die cast or aluminum. This one also has a serial number. Which was a mistake and Marlin quit numbering these shortly thereafter. Someone remembered that .22's didn't require a serial number by law. The serial number is three digit and starts with an M, I think that is year 1955. How time flies, I've had this gun for almost 20 years.

IM000151.JPG SANY2684.JPG SANY2685.JPG

Last Edited:
Here's one you don't see every day. Marlin Model 56 Levermatic. .22 LR. My cousin gave this one to me some time ago, it was the first gun he ever bought. He told me, "It don't look like much now, but back when it was new, the Levermatic action was pretty hot stuff." These have a very short throw lever action. And right after that, the semi-autos started saturating the market. This thing has an all steel receiver, I think a bit later they were die cast or aluminum. This one also has a serial number. Which was a mistake and Marlin quit numbering these shortly thereafter. Someone remembered that .22's didn't require a serial number by law. The serial number is three digit and starts with an M, I think that is year 1955. How time flies, I've had this gun for almost 20 years.

View attachment 703684 View attachment 703685 View attachment 703686
Serial Numbers were not "Required by Law" until the '68CGA.