JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My first gun.
Got it from my Grandfather when I was around 8 or so.
A 20 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster from 1962.
28 inch barrel and a fixed Modified choke.
Still have it...still hunt and shoot with it.
Not sure who it will go , when I get too old to hunt or shoot.
Andy
Maybe it's just me but I think the old 870's just look nicer.

My first gun.
Got it from my Grandfather when I was around 8 or so.
A 20 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster from 1962.
28 inch barrel and a fixed Modified choke.
Still have it...still hunt and shoot with it.
Not sure who it will go , when I get too old to hunt or shoot.
Andy
Weren't you looking for a 20 gauge last year? Why, when you've got that beauty? Due to the fixed choke?

Sigh. I come from an anti-gun family, so nothing passed down. My grandmother traded my grandfather's M1 Garand for a pair of movie tickets back in the mid-80s. She was so proud when she handed them to me that I didn't have the heart to tell her how I really felt. My wife is a little luckier. No one in her family is interested, so she'll likely get the original US Navy marked 1911 (NOT an a1) that was her grandfather's. We don't have any kids or close family, so every thing will likely go to the various new-shooter programs we run.

I've got a few. Some I have pictures of.
Dad's No4MK1T It was Dad's hunting rifle from before I was born until I bought him a new 30-06 in the late 90's.
MK1 T right.jpg
The 03-A3 Dad got from the CMP in the early 60s. I have the certificates, too.
IMG_20190414_112212276.jpg
The 1894 SRC Grandpa got from the neighbor in exchange for bail money, who knows when. First centerfire I ever shot/hunted with.
20200420_175923.jpg
Marlin 81DL Grandpa bought new that Dad used when he was the fire lookout in the late 40's. First firearm I ever shot. Accurate as can be.
81DL d.JPG
The Henry 22 I bought for Mom's 72nd birthday because she had never shot a gun. The only gun she ever shot and the first gun my grandson ever shot. Any guesses who get this one? :cool:
Henry a.jpg
Grandpa's Spenser 12 gauge. This one has already been passed down to a nephew. Both he and Grandpa are/were left handed.
Grandpa's Spenser.jpg
Grandpa's Ruger Standard. First handgun I ever shot and the reason I've not had many other 22 handguns. It's a fantastic shooter. I learned how to strip it AND put it back together correctly by the time I was 10 or so. Still can't understand why so many people have trouble putting these back together...
Standard.jpg

Last Edited:
Sigh. I come from an anti-gun family, so nothing passed down. My grandmother traded my grandfather's M1 Garand for a pair of movie tickets back in the mid-80s. She was so proud when she handed them to me that I didn't have the heart to tell her how I really felt. My wife is a little luckier. No one in her family is interested, so she'll likely get the original US Navy marked 1911 (NOT an a1) that was her grandfather's. We don't have any kids or close family, so every thing will likely go to the various new-shooter programs we run.
A firearm from a close family friend or mentor or someone that is respected by the recipient will be just as cherished.
For me it's about the history and memory of the person that passed it along. Every nick and scratch tell a story. Like on the bottom of a receiver of a rifle where the blueing is worn off from a long ago hand that carried it for many hunts.

s&w m28 jv.JPG

I bought this Smith & Wesson Model 28 .357 new in the 1980's. My friend John liked and wanted it. So I sold it to him. He packed it around in his shoulder bag for years. After he died, his partner Edward gave it back to me. In the original box with the original stocks. I don't use it very often, but when I do, I think of both of these departed friends.

Weren't you looking for a 20 gauge last year? Why, when you've got that beauty? Due to the fixed choke?
I love my 870 ...I shoot well with it and it looks good.
But ...
I would like something that is steel shot compatible if I hunt in a area that requires it.
Remington has changed their answers over the years on steel shot and older shotguns...
The last time I asked...their answer was no to steel shot if the gun was from 1965 or earlier.

I know that many folks have shot steel shot without issues in older Wingmasters....
However , I don't want to chance it with this particular gun.
Andy

Last Edited:
Like I mentioned I'm first generation gun hoarder but have been fortunate to have some historical weapons sent my way, WWII & Nam captures, & other C&R stuff with cool stories in beautiful condition. PAX

I love my 870 ...I shoot well with it and it looks good.
But ...
I would like something that is steel shot compatible if I hunt in a area that requires it.
Remington has changed their answers over the years on steel shot and older shotguns...
The last time I asked...their answer was no to steel shot if the gun was from 1965 or earlier.

I know that many folks have shot steel shot without issues in older Wingmasters....
However , I don't want to chance it with this particular gun.
Andy
I have a similar gun. It came from one of Dad's long time friends, a guy who I idolized. My sister is having a house built in the boonies and said she wants a gun that she can keep handy, just in case. I know it might be sacrilege, but I had Velzey shorten the barrel to 18" and put the bead back on. When my sister moves in, it will be her house warming present. She hasn't shot for ages, but for a short time was a Portland cop and a pump shotgun is one she used while on the force.

Here's one my wife gets to decide the fate of. It was her grandfather's when he was a conductor for the railroad back in the 40's, 50's n 60's.
I believe it was built in 1931, the same year Dad was born.

Grandpas Colt.jpg

I have a similar gun. It came from one of Dad's long time friends, a guy who I idolized. My sister is having a house built in the boonies and said she wants a gun that she can keep handy, just in case. I know it might be sacrilege, but I had Velzey shorten the barrel to 18" and put the bead back on. When my sister moves in, it will be her house warming present. She hasn't shot for ages, but for a short time was a Portland cop and a pump shotgun is one she used while on the force.
Just my thoughts on this...
If you have a gun...it is good to make it yours.
As in making it so it works well for what you want or need it to do.
Firearms were designed to be used.

With that said...
It would be wise to be picky and choosy about what firearms you make permanent alterations to.
Taking an unaltered and / or undamaged Mauser 98 military rifle and turning it into a sporter nowadays...
Makes no sense.
Andy

My great grandfather was a WW1 vet, Royal Irish Constabulary ( Black and Tan devil ) , L.A. County Sherriff's Deputy old school guy who'd put a bullet in you for any half good reason. Lived to 96. Knew him well.

He bought this Colt in a hardware store in Los Angeles in 1939 just before my dad was born. Ive been resisting the constant urge to make it integrally suppressed. Im starting to break down though.

Those grips have been on the gun since probably the 50's. Amazingly enough I have the original wood grips.

IMG_2489.jpg

Last Edited:
My great grandfather was a WW1 vet, Royal Irish Constabulary ( Black and Tan devil ) , L.A. County Sherriff's Deputy old school guy who'd put a bullet in you for any half good reason. Lived to 96. Knew him well.

He bought this Colt in a hardware store in Los Angeles in 1939 just before my dad was born. Ive been resisting the constant urge to make it integrally suppressed. Im starting to break down though.

Those grips have been on the gun since probably the 50's. Amazingly enough I have the original wood grips.

View attachment 1799765
Don't do it to that one! Buy another to chop up.
If I ever want to do something like that, I have a second Ruger Standard I can abuse without touching Grandpa's. The only thing I changed on Grandpa's was the grip panels, and like you, @wired , I have the originals.

Don't do it to that one! Buy another to chop up.
If I ever want to do something like that, I have a second Ruger Standard I can abuse without touching Grandpa's. The only thing I changed on Grandpa's was the grip panels, and like you, @wired , I have the originals.
I dont know. Thats what I do and I do them very well. I think is this what he would have wanted done. This is a guy who has a contraband schnellfeuer Mauser broomhandle machinegun he had "confiscated" sometime during his deputy career that was the first machinegun I ever fired in the hills around L.A. . I think he would have wanted it that way. Still kicking it around.

I dont know. Thats what I do and I do them very well. I think is this what he would have wanted done. This is a guy who has a contraband schnellfeuer Mauser broomhandle machinegun he had "confiscated" sometime during his deputy career that was the first machinegun I ever fired in the hills around L.A. . I think he would have wanted it that way. Still kicking it around.
Two things;
It is your gun, not mine.
You knew the man and his likes/tastes, so only you would know that.

However after doing things that couldn't be undone and I later regretted, I'm always very cautious when it comes to subjects like this.

Two things;
It is your gun, not mine.
You knew the man and his likes/tastes, so only you would know that.

However after doing things that couldn't be undone and I later regretted, I'm always very cautious when it comes to subjects like this.
Oh anything can be undone. If I do it I'll just make a barrel for it out of a Ruger barrel and keep the original. Something like this but as a colt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews