JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got a 'lost' camera back today, with movies of a run last September over on our 45mm gauge 'run everything' track.....

The locomotive is a 1/19th scale version of one of four running over in North Wales, having been rescued from a defunct mining railroad in Natal Province RSA. The model is gas-fired with two burners and is fully radio-controlled. Running time is about 30 minutes, but it's a gas and water hog with a big load, since it's really two locos combined. I got the family's permission to name it after the gentleman who actually designed the model, Donald Pearse of Pearse Model Engineering, who died a while back. This was his magnum opus, and a very fit one for a much-loved and respected man.

Enjoy!

tac

17%20-%201%201_zps5qqrgaif.jpg

Here it is a few years back hauling 40+ cars...

...and here's one of my Shays at a charity run in nearby Barnwell...the Alms Houses, where the track has been set up, were built in 1603.

and a longer run on a friend's track...

Best to all here :D

tac

Here it is a few years back hauling 40+ cars...

...and here's one of my Shays at a charity run in nearby Barnwell...the Alms Houses, where the track has been set up, were built in 1603.

and a longer run on a friend's track...

Best to all here :D

tac

Amazing machinery! That's an interesting drive-train on that locomotive and it appears to have low gear ratio for "extra heavy" hauling. I'm assuming there's a driveline on each side with a piston/crank section in the middle, does each wheel have a bevel-type gearbox? If so, are they straight, spiral, or hypoid cut teeth?

I know, too many questions... but mechanical technology is sorta my thing, and it pays the bills very nicely for me. ;)

Stomper - the Shay locomotive, designed solely for tight curves and steep grades in the forest lumber business, only has the drive on one side of the loco - the other side is always referred to as the 'blind side'. Since the wheels are rigidly fixed to the axle, rotating one end also rotates the other one too. The engine that you see, a two or three-cylinder item, drives via the drive-shafts to a crown wheel and bevel on the end of each axle.

This movie shows the action in close-up detail -

The other two types of logging, or geared locomotives are the Climax and the Heisler - I have those, too, but don't want to hog the forum.

tac

Had this one about two weeks. 1970 Camaro. Gutted it and cut the sheet metal back past the front seat. Doing a 12 point cage , 4 link rear suspension and forming rails for it right now. I have a TH400 and 4.10 spooled Dana 60 to build yet to go with the 650 HP 496 in the car. My dad built the engine and its got maybe 400 miles on it . He likes to build big blocks but really isnt able to do the hard work any more . Just a street car. I will be changing the solid lifter cam over to a solid roller at some point but not right now. That and those L88 heads were state of the art in 1969 but a simple head change will pick up 100 HP with little effort so that is on the table. I expect to do all major chassis work and body work done this year. I may paint it this year if I can get it all done by late fall. Otherwise it will wait until next spring. I will be doing 100% of the work. I fully embrace OCD.

Am5JwI.jpg
oIAITd.jpg
q3IVuS.jpg

Should look about like this once completed...Bur hopefully with better panel alignment.

4we97q.jpg 88XRqc.jpg 7fSbVl.jpg

Last Edited:
Had this one about two weeks. 1970 Camaro. Gutted it and cut the sheet metal back past the front seat. Doing a 12 point cage , 4 link rear suspension and forming rails for it right now. I have a TH400 and 4.10 spooled Dana 60 to build yet to go with the 650 HP 496 in the car. My dad built the engine and its got maybe 400 miles on it . He likes to build big blocks but really isnt able to do the hard work any more . Just a street car. I will be changing the solid lifter cam over to a solid roller at some point but not right now. That and those L88 heads were state of the art in 1969 but a simple head change will pick up 100 HP with little effort so that is on the table. I expect to do all major chassis work and body work done this year. I may paint it this year if I can get it all done by late fall. Otherwise it will wait until next spring. I will be doing 100% of the work. I fully embrace OCD.

View attachment 342471
View attachment 342472

Should look about like this once completed...Bur hopefully with better panel alignment.

View attachment 342473

Very nice! I have been raised around hot/street rods my entire life. In that body, that year is the most desirable. Fun project.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews