JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Williams made a peep sight for them for years (still do!). The 3 that were in my family (all '70's era 94's) were all factory drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver for that mod.
Rifle scopes became a reality in the 80's, with the advent of "angle eject". Until then, pistol scopes were a popular option, as their long eye relief allowed them to be mounted on the barrel ahead of the receiver (my dad did that mod with his 94).
I think you guys might be looking at that scabbard upside down, but it does seem a bit wide for such a slim gun.

Dean

In the '60s Leupold offered a 2X EER scope designed for pistols and a mount that went in place of the rear sight and only required a single hole in the barrel band. It was QD and had a replacement rear sight as part of the mount. It worked well.

Upon further inspection, the scabbard appears to have wear from a scope. Possible it was used for multiple firearms, I guess.
Williams made a peep sight for them for years (still do!).
I love peeps. I'm on the hunt for a tang mounted peep at the moment for this carbine and possibly a nice leather sling ar some point.

I'm a total fiend for old west Americana.

Heyjoe,

Skinner Sight for your 94?

As for scope mounts and slings, I present...my father's rifle.....

Dads94_1.jpg

...according to Winchester, this gun was made in 1973.
IIRC, he bought it the next year (from JC Pennys in Bremerton! I was with him when he got it).
Don't know who made the sling, it came later. It is comfy and sticks to your shoulder like glue.
Its attached via snap swivels.
The scope mounts in place of the rear sight. Not sure if the mount is a Bushnell model, but the scope is a Bushnell Magnum Phantom 2.5X.
Dad told me its too powerful for woods work. Better to go with something a bit under 2X. Field of view is too narrow. Hard to judge what part of the woods you're looking at.
We both agreed that he probably would've been better off with 1.75X.

...detail of scope and mount on gun...

Dads94_2.jpg

Dean

Last Edited:
The 2X Leupold was just right in my opinion for a number of projects. Over the years I have used it on several other rifles and handguns. Leupold also offers a 4X and a 2.5-8X that I have used on different occasions. Dad had a .30-30 and I got a .32 Winchester Special when my Grandpa passed. Dad had stored his .30-30 in the case under the bed for a number of years and it required re-blueing.

@DeanMk , those are some nice looking sights! Though mine is not a collector, I still feel its be a shame poking new holes in the receiver. Hence the tang mount option. The receiver mounted ones look good and stout though. I'll just mull over the options for a while and most likely research the piss out them as I typically do with things of this nature.

Nice rifle, btw, things a peach!:)

@DeanMk , those are some nice looking sights! Though mine is not a collector, I still feel its be a shame poking new holes in the receiver. Hence the tang mount option. The receiver mounted ones look good and stout though. I'll just mull over the options for a while and most likely research the piss out them as I typically do with things of this nature.
Well in that case, may I present! --> Lyman No. 2 Winchester 94 Tang Sight Steel 3902094
There's also a non-folder from Marble @ Midway for $40 ( Marble's Improved Tang Peep Sight Short Range Upright - MPN: 990100 )
...leaving the rest up to you now. =)...

Heyjoe said:
Nice rifle, btw, things a peach!:)
Thank you! I think Winchester used some especially nice wood for the stocks back then.
Here's a pic of mine before I sold it. Looks like the same species, although I don't know what they used....

DSCN2195.JPG

Dean

I think Winchester used some especially nice wood for the stocks back then.
Dean
I don't think they used any Special wood. It's one of the reasons I like the older guns. Most all of them had exceltionly wood and really fine polishing and bluing. It's just the way it was back then.

Thank you! I think Winchester used some especially nice wood for the stocks back then.
Here's a pic of mine before I sold it. Looks like the same species, although I don't know what they used...
Walnut mainly, it's the woodworkers/carvers fantasy species. Soft grain that doesn't splinter, easy to sand and shape/chisel. Has a very sweet smell like alder or cherry.

It's everything oak and hickory are not.

Thank you for the recommendations!

You're welcome....if you think Walnut's easy to work with, you should try carving Teak some time. I could whittle that stuff with a plastic knife!
I looked up gunstock materials real quick and found Myrtle is also popular and I see a resemblance to the stocks on our guns.

Dean

Last Edited:
I wish one of the quality scope manufacturers would offer one of the 1X-4X (etc.) rifle scopes with pistol like eye relief. I have had decent luck with a Burris 2-7x pistol scope but I think the best magnification at the low end is 1-1.5x. All of my lever actions and many of my other rifles have scout scope mounts - I am a real believer in those, especially on this side of the Cascades.

...and now you know why my recent interest in a Marlin 336. ;)
The only problem I find is that most of the 1-4X's look like something that fell off of an M16.
I'd prefer a traditional rifle scope in that power range.

301B8306-6808-4626-A819-AF921311A4DF.jpeg 5406FD9A-7451-4610-AAA5-0CD0FA8ADD2E.jpeg Here are a couple of model 94.
The on the left is a 1941 and the one on right is around 1943.
Both are great shooters. The 1941 I bought from a good friend right before he past from lung cancer at 50 years old so that Winchester will never be sold

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top