JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice!

I know a guy with a couple. :rolleyes:
Here's one.

94 Big Bore .375 Winchester.

View attachment 449182

No! Not for sale.
Don't ask. :D
Beautiful stock, but I prefer the Marlin style for comfortable shooting and the side ejection. I love the .375 Win, great brush gun.

I had a choice between the Marlin Big Bore .375 and the 336 30-30, same price on closeout for $169 in 1981 (should have bought both). I chose the Big Bore, shot it for a few years and then ammo became spotty and I became less financially able to pay the prices. This time around when Winchester made another run, I bought 10 boxes of 200 grain, 80 rounds of 255 grain Buffalo Bore 38-55, 100 pieces of Jamison brass, 50 Pieces of original Winchester brass and 1100 bullets, not to mention what I have scrounged over the years. It wasn't cheap, but better than GunBroker for $150 a box. It is too bad that they didn't make the 250 grain again. I've only got two left. This should keep me going for my lifetime and the Grandson.

And your story/experience with .375 Win?

made sure to get them with the side loading gate!
With regard to the side loading gate no debate with the longer rounds like 30-30 but it can be a problem with shorter, straight wall pistol rounds - and this is where tube feed shines. I can load my .357 Henry faster and with less hassle than my formerly owned Winchester .357 Trapper with the side gate. Side gate with short rounds can be a finger pincher and most who own a pistol caliber Henry find they prefer the tube over the side gate with pistol rounds.

That would be the "Volcanic" pistol...
I have never held one ...but a buddy of mine did get a pretty penny for a original box ( full ) of Volcanic cartridges....
Andy
You've caught the Brass ring. A friend of mine built a Volcanic in .32 S&W. Never got to fire it because ammo wasn't available at the time. It was cool.

Picked up this Puma 92 from Velzy, who slicked it up. Runs like a dream. With companion Anaconda... both 45 Colt.

20160925_193714.jpg

Is it just me or are scopes and stainless on a lever action just fundamentally "wrong"(?)... kinda like chocolate syrup over mouth watering barbecue ribs.... o_O:D

I do have one of the older style Long Tubed Scopes on one of the Marlin .32 H&R Magnums that I own. It makes the Rifle look like an old Civil War Henry that the South used as a Sniper Rifle. I think it just looks Right.:):):)

I'm just Not a Soulless Steel fan to begin with, so...

Is it just me or are scopes and stainless on a lever action just fundamentally "wrong"(?)... kinda like chocolate syrup over mouth watering barbecue ribs.... o_O:D

Completely in the eye of the beholder. I also think a traditional lever action should not have a scope. But, that being said, a Marlin 336 with a scope is a dandy hunting rifle.

A Savage 99, Ruger 96, Browning BLR, or a Winchester 88 are also more acceptable with a scope than a traditional Winchester.

And stainless? Depends if it's a tool, or if it's just to be period correct. I've carried Marlin lever guns in stainless, and they really are the cats meow. Remember too, many old nickel steel Winchesters have no bluing. So, cleaned up, they look smooth and shiny like stainless.

Last Edited:
I do have one of the older style Long Tubed Scopes on one of the Marlin .32 H&R Magnums that I own.

That's a completely different animal and respectable. I'll agree too that scopes aren't quite as much as a faux pas and agree with Wayno's remark.

I actually own a couple soulless steel handguns and 1 long bolt gun, but I can't seem to shake the "cringe/pucker" factor seeing it on a lever action. :)

Never one to argue with someone else's opinion, let me state... living on the perpetually wet coast I find stainless weapons much easier to care for than blued ones. We have a saying here, if you don't shoot in the rain you don't shoot at all.
Incidentally, I own three other classic, blued lever actions, that I prefer to keep in good condition. Stainless guns are made to be shot!
:)

I actually own a couple soulless steel handguns
(long breath drawn through open lips and closed teeth)
I 'fell' to the SS revolver after a lifetime of owning blue and have really learned to respect the ease of maintenance and less worry - but for now I have to maintain my position on blue with levers!

I think the term re scopes on a lever is, "its like kissin' yer sister, that just ain't right!" :confused:

I scoped my 88 mainly because the front sight was bent and I couldn't find a replacement on short notice. I just happened to have an old steel Weaver KV 2.5-5 that if anything would, kind of looked right on it. An early variable scope that's either set at 2.5 or 5, no in between. I might look around for a replacement sight because I don't hunt anymore and I prefer to plink with iron sights.

I wouldn't mind having a walnut stocked SS Marlin, I think they're purty!

wm_6594049.jpg

I have been going back and forth on putting a short scope on my Marlin 375 lever. My eyes aren't as sharp as they once were. I may try a receiver or tang mounted peep site first. I prefer iron sights on lever actions, but there are reasons to scope up. The .375 Winchester will never be a long range cartridge, but 100 yards seems farther every year.

I was also looking at scoping my Henry Goldenboy with a vintage long brass scope. They still make them and I think it would look good.

I have Scout Scope mounts on my other two lever actions (pics coming) and one for my BLR. I am a believer in long eye relief compact variable scopes mounted in the Scout position on almost any rifle. It just works. I 20/15 vision but still I cannot see half as far as when I was a kid. You can always take the Scout scope off and use the iron sights.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top