JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Besides revolvers my home guns are "Condition 3" (magazine inserted no round in chamber) when I am home. My carry gun is Condition 1 when I leave the house.

One thing that was instilled early on by an old Marine Master Sergeant was "if the weapon isn't within arms reach you aren't in control". So anything that isn't in the room with me goes into the safe. This is a good rule for child safety too.

I believe it was the Portland Mall shooter that stole a rifle out of a friend's closet. That would be devastating to any of us (with the caveat being it's also important to not invite unstable people into your home)

So if the firearm is in use (i.e. in the room with you) then the gun should be loaded. Otherwise I believe it should be unloaded and locked up.

If there are other angles I haven't considered I'd love to hear some different perspectives and feedback.

Safe shooting!

I had the same instructions from a USMC officer. I call him Sir or Pop. I interpreted that as "keep your weapon on you at all times and in a state of readiness" so I do.

Having little ones I've found that I sacrifice speed for the assurance that my firearms are not accessible by them and it's a give and take I am more than happy to live with,
I agree 100% and feel I found a good balance between speed and security with the hornady rapid response pistol safe on my nightstand. Yes, a crackhead could pack the whole thing off but at least he couldn't shoot me with my own gun when the garage door alerts him to my return.

Basically the same discussion: Carry one in the chamber

I always <rolleyes> :rolleyes: when "Officer Friendly" comes on the Justice Channel on TV and informs us dodoheads and scares all the wimen while advising that our firearms are to be kept locked up unloaded and the ammo is to be kept locked up in a different location... OK, what am I supposed to use for self-defense, harsh language?

Having little ones I've found that I sacrifice speed for the assurance that my firearms are not accessible by them and it's a give and take I am more than happy to live with,
Too many stories and situations with kids having access to firearms and ending so many lives in just one moment.
But every situation is different.
My firearms loaded status is one I hope no one ever has to find out.

That is just so easy to fix with a handgun vault and still have your firearm ready to go!!!

Besides revolvers my home guns are "Condition 3" (magazine inserted no round in chamber) when I am home. My carry gun is Condition 1 when I leave the house.

One thing that was instilled early on by an old Marine Master Sergeant was "if the weapon isn't within arms reach you aren't in control". So anything that isn't in the room with me goes into the safe. This is a good rule for child safety too.

I believe it was the Portland Mall shooter that stole a rifle out of a friend's closet. That would be devastating to any of us (with the caveat being it's also important to not invite unstable people into your home)

So if the firearm is in use (i.e. in the room with you) then the gun should be loaded. Otherwise I believe it should be unloaded and locked up.

If there are other angles I haven't considered I'd love to hear some different perspectives and feedback.

Safe shooting!

You are entitled to your beliefs as they pertain to your own household. I personally believe that people should keep "should" out of their vocabulary when discussing much of other peoples beliefs. ;) Judicious use might be best, as in the use of "never", and "always".

Looks like you are going to have your way this year and I will have it crammed down my throat when the "safe storage" law passes. For the record, yet again, I am no more responsible for what a deranged thief does with my stolen firearm than what a drunken or stoned thief might do with my stolen car, or with my stolen knives. I am going to be really unhappy to have do-gooders take that decision away from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too many stories and situations with kids having access to firearms and ending so many lives in just one moment.
But every situation is different.
My firearms loaded status is one I hope no one ever has to find out.
When we had kids at home we had several gun boxes. Still have a couple of the boxes mounted but no longer use them. It's pretty simple to have a weapon ready and not make them easy on kids. Almost every story I have ever read of some kid with a gun disaster started with a gun left out where kids could just pick it up.

Looks like you are going to have your way this year and I will have it crammed down my throat when the "safe storage" law passes. For the record, yet again, I am no more responsible for what a deranged thief does with my stolen firearm than what a drunken or stoned thief might do with my stolen car, or with my stolen knives.

I don't believe in the safe storage laws. You are correct in stating that a gun owner shouldn't be responsible for a stolen firearm just like a car owner shouldn't be responsible for a stolen car.

Not all crimes can be avoided and the victim shouldn't be punished. With that being said I make it as hard as possible for a criminal to take my property (especially my firearms). Break-ins happen and I can't be home all day. So instead of leaving the shotgun under the bed it goes into a safe. A small price to pay for piece of mind.

I was also a curious child and used to rummage through my parent's closet when they weren't home (yes, a bad idea but tell that to a 7 year old). I used to always find loaded weapons in the closet...however my parents were strict on firearm safety (and the Eddie Eagle videos) so I never messed around with the guns. Not all kids have such sense at a young age and I won't risk a child injuring/killing themselves or others with an unsecured firearm.

I won't ever tell anyone how to live their life or run their home.

But I will say, with confidence, it is wise to keep the firearms you have at hand loaded and if you aren't using them they should be locked up.

Safe shooting.

You said you won't tell others what to do, but you used "you" and "should" in the same sentence. I'm not seeing a big difference there.

I understand your point, so I'll be clear that I don't believe anyone should be forced to do anything.

There is a difference between "should" and what someone is trying to force you to do.

You should eat your vegetables.

I don't care if you eat your vegetables or not...but its a good idea.

And you should lock up your firearms when not in use. But it's not my business to force one way or the other.

I understand your point, so I'll be clear that I don't believe anyone should be forced to do anything.

There is a difference between "should" and what someone is trying to force you to do.

You should eat your vegetables.

I don't care if you eat your vegetables or not...but its a good idea.

And you should lock up your firearms when not in use. But it's not my business to force one way or the other.

Correct, it is not your business in any way, shape or form... so why mention it at all? Do you enjoy lecturing?

The weapon I use for home defense IS "in use."

Sometimes you might have enough time to load a gun to protect yourself in a home invasion. Sometimes you don't. I've experienced one of each.

If I had children in the home I'd put the loaded gun in a rapid-access safe within reach of the bed when it was not actually on my person.

My carry weapon is loaded and on my person at all times, excluding showering and sleeping of course. I usually carry AIWB when I'm out and about, and switch to a more comfortable shoulder or OWB holster when I'm relaxing at home. This may be a bit paranoid, but my home defense rifle is loaded and within reach when I'm home as well, but it's unloaded and locked in the safe when I leave the house.

:confused: I wonder ... are armed intruders, muggers and such, having this same discussion?

Leon - "Hey Mugsy! Do you rack a round before, or after, you confront a victim in their home?"
Mugsy - "Always chambered,safety off, just always remember to keep your finger off the trigger when pistol-whipping their kids though, oh, and you should try to keep the barrel pointed away from yourself!"

upload_2019-3-6_8-53-28.png

Last Edited:
I was watching a video a few minutes ago and saw the the ten commandments of firearm safety by Remington. The 2nd commandment reads, "Firearms should be unloaded when not actually in use." Maybe this commandment doesn't apply if you have it as a dedicated home defense weapon, then keeping it loaded means it has an ongoing potential use. I don't have children at home or I might think differently about whether I keep my gun loaded or unloaded. If I wake up hearing a noise and it's a prowler who has broken into my home, it seems too late to scramble to find the ammo for my gun. Why have a home defense weapon if it remains unloaded? I am open to everyone's thinking, and I did a search but found nothing on here to answer my question.

Firearms intended for HD are "in actual use".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top