JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should NWFA lift the profanity filter?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters
Status
Going along with my policy of periodically revisiting the way we operate various aspects of this site, this has been something I've been considering for a while now.

When I started NWFA I had a vision in my head of a family friendly site that parents would feel comfortable allowing their children to browse, thus, the profanity filter. This censorship has always bothered me a bit, but I felt it was a necessary measure. As the years have passed, it's bothered me more and more. It has occurred to me that this censorship is rare on the internet now days. We're mostly adults here, and I'm quite certain anyone under age using the internet has heard or read profane content elsewhere. The moderators would still be able to hand out warnings and infractions for content them deemed too offensive or profane.

I feel it's important to mention here that this is not a first amendment issue. I've heard this argument time and time again, and quite frankly, I want to mail a pocket constitution to people each time it's brought up. The constitution does not grant rights, it merely restricts the government from infringing on rights the founding fathers felt were inherent. If I walked into your home, started swearing, and you asked me to leave, you would not be violating my first amendment rights. The same applies here :)

I want a pocket constitution!

P.S.
I think light profanity is ok. I am ashamed when I let myself slip into a sailor rant, but I think words like "Damn" or "Butt" or "Asinine" and sometimes the occasional "Poo Poo" are ok.

I don't think F-Bombs are appropriate punctuation and likely would lead to more flames than freedom, but the mods could manage that I bet.

Good idea I think.

I curse a lot. As with anything there is a time and a place for it, and this is not it.

SW makes a GREAT point about keeping a professional appearance. I have been on lots of sites with no filters and I am not offended by it nor am I inclined to use it. It can also keep new posters coming on just to mess or to throw fits about something from making us look bad.

IIRC the filters here are a bit tight. I am not sure if there are levels that are easily adjusted but if not I would prefer it the way it is over not.

I was thinking the same thing SW!

Well... the thing I was thinking was about not bringing your Mom into it, except it wasn't here...

YO MAMMA!

I couldn't resist.. once I saw that sentence all I could do was try to think of a good Yo Mamma joke.. and even though this one wasn't a good one, at least I can move on with my day.

P.S.
I agree with all the above posts, and I think Bubblegum is a funny way to mask harsh words.

Bubblegum the bubblegumming bubblegummers!

Vulgarity has no place in the firearms world. It is a mature persuit, and we should post in a mature mannor respecting each other. When we use profanity, it shows a lack of care in what we are writing, and thus a lack of respect for our audience. Going along side safe and responsible firearm ownership and use, is genuine concern for how those in and outside the community percieve us. Vulgarity promotes a low veiw of us. We should live by higher standards then our detractors.

Rodney

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

GameMaster,

though you are a new member, and I can't recall ever reading one of your posts before....your comment above is awesome! I agree completely. Thank you...

I think the image presented by firearms enthusiasts is paramount in the fight to retain our 2nd amendment rights. Appearances do matter. I don't need F-bombs to make my point. I'd leave the filter intact.

As they say, one guy's opinion......B.B.S.

No, it's more fun trying to come up with a alternate word to express yourself. You might try changing out the "Bubblegum" to something else every month or so just for laughs.

Not for the general forum, but in a sub forum accessible only to a specific membership who have agreed that they want access, and not accessible to the general public, I say; OK. We're adults and sometimes those words have to be uttered if for no other reason than to vent!

No I enjoy it.
While I tend to get heated and use profanity it doesnt mean that those are the words I would or should have chose 2 days or two years from now. Often when I re-read a heated post I regret what might have been said.
Usually profanity is for crude humor or for the less intelligent to add words to their sentence structure.

Also, it would be easy for someone to misread something and take offense though the tone of the post might not have been intended to be read as crass.

Im in the "No" camp. I enjoy the bubblegum instead of profanity.
Those that have a foul mouth just want to complain because now they have to think of clever ways to make a point. :)

Joe,

I whole heartedly agree with what the others have stated here. Harsh language does't need to be seen to be understood.

I do think a "word of the month" to replace bubblegum would provide some much needed humor in those threads that tend to bring out the flames. You could even create a contest or poll to get suggestions and pick the new word. If it only had a sound effect to go with it....

Brian

I would vote no.. its not that I am a prude, in fact some of the things that come out of my mouth are tremendously offensive to anyone within ear shot. its refreshing to have a site where we have to be civil.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads