JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Sacrifice the guns for consistently good sleep?

• Sell the guns and get the bed ASAP.

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Sell other stuff and hope you can afford the bed.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Keep your stuff, save up and wait for the bed.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Spend the money on booze and sleep in the bathtub.

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters
Reactions
Not all of them, but I don't have a ton.

My wife and I are in serious need of a new bed. I have some back issues and nerve damage from the military, she has neck issues and constant tension headaches from a car accident when she was a teenager. Our current bed has no support and it's sagging where we sleep. Last summer we decided that we were going to buy a new bed and did tons of research and tried several out. We put a Sleep Number bed on layaway but we've only paid a couple hundred bucks so far.

The last few weeks we've been sleeping horrible, tossing all night, getting only a couple hours of decent sleep. We wake up with headaches and I can't even sit up, I have to roll out of bed. I'm in less pain after sleeping on our couch. We're going to use our tax return toward the bed but it's a small return, paying for about a third of what we owe.

I don't have a job currently, so saving for it would put the bed probably 6 months out. If I sell a few guns, we'll be able to buy the bed, mattress protector, sheets, and comforter (we're upgrading from a queen to a king). There is the obvious downside. While the bed is a huge priority to my wife, guns are not. If I sell the guns, I don't foresee replacing them any time soon (probably a couple years). I'm already trying to sell some other stuff but I don't think I can nickel and dime my way to the new bed very quickly.

If there are truly no other options sell the guns, your wifes well being is more important and harder to replace.

Maybe a sheet of plywood between the box springs and mattress? A used bed from Craigslist, Goodwill? Compromise on a less expensive queen size.

Good luck, I know what a bad bed can do to you.

If there are truly no other options sell the guns, your wifes well being is more important and harder to replace.

Maybe a sheet of plywood between the box springs and mattress? A used bed from Craigslist, Goodwill? Compromise on a less expensive queen size.

Good luck, I know what a bad bed can do to you.

I have thought about compromising on a smaller or less expensive bed, but that's how we ended up with our current bed. We decided we'd get the bed that was the most comfortable for us and would last us. I'd rather spend a few hundred more now than be in the same predicament in a few years.

We thought we were going to need a new mattress but decided to try a Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Mattress Topper (from Costco) first. It solved our sleep problems (aches, pains, etc.).

We thought we were going to need a new mattress but decided to try a Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Mattress Topper (from Costco) first. It solved our sleep problems (aches, pains, etc.).

We've used the memory foam mattress toppers. I sleep insanely hot so I slept worse, and my wife didn't really notice any benefit. Thanks for the tip though.

Sell the guns and get the wife happy.
Keep one for home defense, and one each for concealed carry, one for Skeet, one for plinking, an AR for competition, .40 for IPSC, and a .22 trainer for the kids.:s0114:

Seriously, sell them and get sleep. The funnest thing about guns is buying a new one anyway.

Sell the guns and get the wife happy.
Keep one for home defense, and one each for concealed carry, one for Skeet, one for plinking, an AR for competition, .40 for IPSC, and a .22 trainer for the kids.:s0114:

Seriously, sell them and get sleep. The funnest thing about guns is buying a new one anyway.

If I took your advise I'd be buying more guns than selling. I have my 10/22, my 15-.22, my son's Cricket .22, my Beretta 92 (that my wife prefers), my Glock 23, and my Colt that I plan on selling. Of all these guns, the Colt and the 15-.22 are the only ones that I don't have an emotional connection to. The Beretta would be next on my list to sell, but my wife doesn't want me to sell that one.

Sell the wife and buy more guns!

Jk. I put a memory foam topper on mine and it made all the difference. Putting some cheaper foam between the mattress and the box spring in the area where the mattress sinks in helps too. Or a combination of both would help until you got a new bed.

If I took your advise I'd be buying more guns than selling. I have my 10/22, my 15-.22, my son's Cricket .22, my Beretta 92 (that my wife prefers), my Glock 23, and my Colt that I plan on selling. Of all these guns, the Colt and the 15-.22 are the only ones that I don't have an emotional connection to. The Beretta would be next on my list to sell, but my wife doesn't want me to sell that one.
Keep the Cricket and the Beretta.
All else can go for the good of the family.

I'd keep the Cricket for the son and the Beretta for you and the wife. While you may like the Glock better than the Beretta, there's nothing the Glock will really "do" that the Beretta won't. Plus the wife likes it. That's a big plus. You didn't say what kind of Colt you have, but that may pay for a big chunk all by itself.

The mattress that keeps you out of pain and sleeping well is something you MUST have.

The kid's gun should never be for sale until he outgrows it and you are buying him a bigger, better fitting one.

The Cricket was a gift from my wife for my first Father's Day, so it stays. The 10/22 is the first gun I ever bought, so while I don't really care for it, it stays. The Glock is my carry gun and what I will use on duty if I start back into security. The Beretta is not the same gun, but it is the same model of the first pistol I ever shot. The S&W 15-.22 is just a ton of fun and really cheap to shoot. The Colt is a 1917 New Service .45ACP and I will let that one go if need be.

I feel your pain. My wife has been after me for a new bed for months. Heartbreaking to know that your not living life to the fullest over something as simple as a bed. Dang they are expensive. We ended up with the $479 Costco had on sale this week.

Good luck man

I agree with most here, get a new bed. I am dealing with the same sort of issues, I end up sleeping in my reclining sofa because I can sleep there. My bed just sucks. I am not married, but I have heard that, "A happy wife means a happy life".

Yeah, try the couch trick. For some reason my bed became painfully unbearable for a while. I moved to the couch for a few weeks and everything got better...and no the wife wasn't hitting me for snoring too loud :s0114: .

Keith

Get the bed and make everyone happy. We just went through this and now that we have a new matress it is all good:s0155: It does stink that they cost so much. Just remember the guns can be replaced but you and your wifes comfort level are first priority right now.

I always sleep better with a few guns around? Maybe that just me.

In my experience a bed only does so much. My step dad and mom bought a 4k bed and it was supposed to be the best of the best bed. They returned it after 30 days.

I would say eat well, get some exercise(it really does help) have a beer or glass of wine (not 10) and get a full 8 hours. Working out before bed helps too. Not right before. But within a couple hours before.

I've had to sell guns because I needed the money, because I wanted other guns, and I've never got over it.

I cannot recommend the sleep number bed enough. I've been dealing with chronic back pain for ten years. Two years ago my wife and I cheaped out and blew $1800 on a good conventional mattress. It was better than the old one but it still killed my back. We tryed the tempurpedic at a resort and it was pretty good, but I slept really hot as the foam is a huge chunk of insulation. Last year I blew my tax return plus some on the Sleep Number and I. Will never go back. Its made a huge difference in my life. I would also highy recommend the adjustable base. It makes the best even better. Hope this helps

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top