JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I last moved a few years ago, I had to rent the 26 foot U-Haul. We didn't stack it with boxes ceiling high, it's rough on the boxes on the bottom with all that weight, even putting lighter stuff on top, of which there are limited boxes. So we stacked maybe 2 or 3 boxes high, and put loose/bulky stuff that doesn't fit in boxes on top, such as chairs, garbage bins, tables, etc.

When I moved into my house, the house was so filled with boxes and furniture that you couldn't go anywhere. We had to make a path to get to the bathroom.

After 3 years of downsizing, everything I want to move fits into two bedrooms with room to spare. I'm not moving the little furniture I have left. When looking at the house now, my estimates that I downsized by 85% seem accurate. My living room, dinning room, kitchen, etc. are empty. But yet somehow when I look at what I have left, it seems that a 15 foot moving truck would be a tight fit. We measured one room and it's about the size of a 15 foot moving truck, but it seems tight, like we might run out of room. So we are leaning toward a 20 foot truck.

But what I don't understand is, how can I have gotten rid of 85% of my stuff, to the point where the house is almost empty, and still need a 20 foot truck, down from 26 feet when I last moved? Half of that truck was filled with furniture and bulky items that we could not stack, so they took up half the truck. I don't have that stuff anymore and am not moving ANY furniture this time, so how is this possible? We are confident we get rid of 85% of belongings, it makes no sense that we'd need a 20 foot truck, only 6 feet shorter than the original truck we last moved with.

Is a 15 foot truck likely to work for me or do I need something larger?

You got rid of 85% of the stuff but you still haven't gotten rid of 85% of the volume ?
Read my post again, I did get rid of the volume. I noted that my house is now empty, vs when I moved in we had boxes stacked everywhere above our heads, to the point where we had to make a path to get to the bathroom, and that largely involved climbing over stuff as there was no room to move boxes anywhere. Trust me I got rid of most everything. But for some reason my buddy thinks it's still too much for a 15 foot U-haul. It looks like it might be TIGHT, but even the 26 foot had room to spare and once halfway full was just furniture, BBQ, lawncare tools, other loose items. None of that will move with me this time. Selling it all to start a new life elsewhere....

When I last moved a few years ago, I had to rent the 26 foot U-Haul. We didn't stack it with boxes ceiling high, it's rough on the boxes on the bottom with all that weight, even putting lighter stuff on top, of which there are limited boxes. So we stacked maybe 2 or 3 boxes high, and put loose/bulky stuff that doesn't fit in boxes on top, such as chairs, garbage bins, tables, etc.

When I moved into my house, the house was so filled with boxes and furniture that you couldn't go anywhere. We had to make a path to get to the bathroom.

After 3 years of downsizing, everything I want to move fits into two bedrooms with room to spare. I'm not moving the little furniture I have left. When looking at the house now, my estimates that I downsized by 85% seem accurate. My living room, dinning room, kitchen, etc. are empty. But yet somehow when I look at what I have left, it seems that a 15 foot moving truck would be a tight fit. We measured one room and it's about the size of a 15 foot moving truck, but it seems tight, like we might run out of room. So we are leaning toward a 20 foot truck.

But what I don't understand is, how can I have gotten rid of 85% of my stuff, to the point where the house is almost empty, and still need a 20 foot truck, down from 26 feet when I last moved? Half of that truck was filled with furniture and bulky items that we could not stack, so they took up half the truck. I don't have that stuff anymore and am not moving ANY furniture this time, so how is this possible? We are confident we get rid of 85% of belongings, it makes no sense that we'd need a 20 foot truck, only 6 feet shorter than the original truck we last moved with.

Is a 15 foot truck likely to work for me or do I need something larger?
Shrinkflation, maybe the trucks hold less than they used to per foot. :D

Last Edited:
Ever hear some tell people asking about a safe, buy bigger you will need it? Moving is the same. Unless there is a VERY large savings to going down? Rent bigger. You are paying mileage I assume? If you save a little on size but then can't get it all in one load? There goes the savings.

All I know is that I never want to be standing there, staring at a completely FULL moving truck...and still having more stuff to fit in. If it's a local move and you can do two trips, no biggie. But the thought of having to unload it all, go back and get a BIGGER truck, and then reload it all, is the stuff nightmares are made of. It's far better to have too big of a truck than too small.

Pro Tip: Ditching the cardboard boxes and spending a little money on decent storage containers is money well spent. And especially if you don't have that much stuff to move. They hold up way better than cardboard. The stuff is better protected. You can stack more on top. They're impervious to any water that gets in. And if you end up storing stuff for a bit...or long term...on the other end, your stuff is, again, way better protected. Spend the extra time needed to properly and clearly label your boxes too. That's worth your sanity on the other end when you're trying to find that critical "thing" and you don't have to tear through every stupid box to locate it.

Pro Tip: Ditching the cardboard boxes and spending a little money on decent storage containers is money well spent. And especially if you don't have that much stuff to move. They hold up way better than cardboard. The stuff is better protected. You can stack more on top. They're impervious to any water that gets in. And if you end up storing stuff for a bit...or long term...on the other end, your stuff is, again, way better protected. Spend the extra time needed to properly and clearly label your boxes too. That's worth your sanity on the other end when you're trying to find that critical "thing" and you don't have to tear through every stupid box to locate it.
Agreed about the totes.

@Bushman , may I suggest you look on FB Marketplace for storage totes like these?

Agreed about the totes.

@Bushman , may I suggest you look on FB Marketplace for storage totes like these?

I have already packed everything in storage totes. In fact I have too many, and the moving boxes I saved are now next to useless to me other than clothes, which fit better in the large boxes.

Rereading your post. It seems the issue is that the 26ft truck has 1,682 cubic feet, while the 15ft truck fits 762 cubic feet, and the 20ft truck fits 1,016 cubic feet.

So seems following from U haul site;

26 = 1,682 cubic feet

20 = 1,016 cubic feet, 666 cubic feet less than 26

15 = 762 cubic feet, only 252 cubic feet less than 20ft , but 920 cubic feet less than 26ft

So all these trucks obviously have very different heights and probably different widths with the 15 and 20 ft trucks being closer to each other than 20ft and 26ft trucks.

I'm sorry, but I guess I haven't been following this; but my first question would be, "Where to or how far are you moving?" That would be the biggest factor in what sized truck or trailer to rent / buy.

If you are talking long distance, you might consider buying a car hauler sized trailer and then you are not rushed at the other end to unload or have a house full of 'deer paths' to get around in. A friend did it that way and it made things SO much easier.

My last big move was cross country (2600 miles). fortunately we could do it in two trips with a smaller trailer and had a good sized garage to unload everything into. That way we could put stuff into the house as we wanted / needed.

Last Edited:
I'm sorry, but I guess I haven't been following this; but my first question would be, "Where to or how far are you moving?" That would be the biggest factor in what sized truck or trailer to rent / buy.

If you are talking long distance, you might consider buying a car hauler sized trailer and then you are not rushed at the other end to unload or have a house full of 'deer paths' to get around in. A friend did it that way and it made things SO much easier.

My last big move was cross country (2600 miles). fortunately we could do it in two trips with a smaller trailer and had a good sized garage to unload everything into. That way we could put stuff into the house as we wanted / needed.
Across country

Rereading your post. It seems the issue is that the 26ft truck has 1,682 cubic feet, while the 15ft truck fits 762 cubic feet, and the 20ft truck fits 1,016 cubic feet.

So seems following from U haul site;

26 = 1,682 cubic feet

20 = 1,016 cubic feet, 666 cubic feet less than 26

15 = 762 cubic feet, only 252 cubic feet less than 20ft , but 920 cubic feet less than 26ft

So all these trucks obviously have very different heights and probably different widths with the 15 and 20 ft trucks being closer to each other than 20ft and 26ft trucks.
Very good point, I think you identified the issue!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top