JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Sacrifice the guns for consistently good sleep?

• Sell the guns and get the bed ASAP.

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Sell other stuff and hope you can afford the bed.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Keep your stuff, save up and wait for the bed.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Spend the money on booze and sleep in the bathtub.

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters
I think you need to look at your own priorities. In fact, sorting them out is a very difficult thing for most of us, so we just bumble along till life ends at some point. For myself, I came to the conclusion that my life is a lot like a 3 legged stool. The 3 legs are Health, relationships and money. Those 3 are the foundations of importance. Without any one of those, I have imbalance. All the other parts of my life seem to fall under those major important headings so taking care of those 3 is critical for me. Yet when I really and truly consider it, health is the most important of the 3. Far and away the most. This is my own take, yours may be different. Without health, your ability to work (make $) and even your relationships get stressed and can go bad. A long time ago, I volunteered for years and later worked for $ up at the old VA hospital, rare was the person I saw in there that this was not true of as well. Health includes mental heath as well, and physical health can and will intrude up on your mental health, more so as time goes on and you have chronic pain. What's left when your mental health goes? Perhaps the only work you can do then is to be a politician? Who can say, but consider that.

As far as you both waking up with headaches at night, that almost seems like too much of a coincidence. On another thread, we were talking of Carbon Monoxide poisoning....have you looked at that? Maybe set up a tent in the back yard and go sleep in it some evening, and if you don't wake up with a headache consider some environmental issue. Certainly consider where the couch (that you sleep better on) is in relationship to your bedroom and also the heaters exhaust vis a vis fresh air infiltrating windows or doors. Hot damn, I finally got to use via a vis in a real sentence! Woot! I probably used it wrong:)

My kid had a job years back at one of those overpriced catalog stores (edited to add - it was the Sharper Image, I had brain fade) and we got an 80% discount on that well known brand of foam mattress setup. It was still shockingly over priced. But I sleep sooooo comfortable. I looked at it as in investment in health. Actually, my wife wanted it and told me we were getting it so I got the relationship thing covered with it's purchase too. I believe that many of the joint issues (leading to joint replacements of hips, knees etc etc) people have are from sleeping improperly. I know that for myself, I get excruciating back pain come onto me if I A)Sleep on my back B) Don't eat well and C) Have stress in my life. I can manage all 3 of those and with the chiropractors help, get back to normal. The pain was originally brought on from unloading a tractor trailer with 12,000# of 200 lb kegs of bolts by hand lifting when our forklift broke. I was young and strong...and stupid. When the pain comes, it's much worse than when I fell off the roof and landed face first onto a metal table. All that did was break my cheekbone so that the bone was sticking straight out of my face. I put a bandaid on it and climbed back up on the roof and got to work as it looked like it was going to rain. No, this back pain is much much more than that. It's hit so bad that I've dropped to my knees or right on the ground like a fish in the boat except I can't flop around, move or speak. I just lay there with teeth clenched in pain, I can't make a sound it hurts so bad. However, I could not ask others what to do, I had to figure it out over time what brought on this pain, and how to (mostly) avoid its re-occurrence.

So I can't give you any advice on this issue. It's taken me a long time to get myself figured out. I did click the "sell the guns and get a mattress" option though:) Figure you can always go by new guns later.

Good luck!

Yours and your wife's sleep is paramount....At the Price Smith's are selling for you could probably sell just the Smith 15 and the Colt for what you need on the bed. Check out Gunbrokers and you'll see what I'm talking about. Providing the two revolvers are in very good condition you would be well over the grand mark I am quite sure. Antway best of luck with whatever you do. I have been there and always found a way to get my firarms back and then some.

Sleep number beds are awful IMO. My wife and I about 4 months ago broke down and purchased a new mattress and box spring from one of those furniture stores that are always "liquidating".

Anyway. I think it was a great investment. Got a nicer hybrid mattress with pocket coils, and a thin layer of memory foam. Its nice to wake up without a sore neck. :)

Are you using old pillows too?

I have back/neck problems and I have to buy new pillows every 6 months or so because they just wear out and don't have the same support.

Just another thing to check into. Also there cheap.

Lots of advice here and I love the fact that I can get so much help from you guys on such a random thing.

Starting with pillows, we just purchased new, expensive pillows a few months ago. I got one that's firm around the edges and medium firm in the middle, the extra structure helps a lot. We also got pillow cases that help regulate temperature so I'm not constantly flipping the pillow to find a cool spot. They reduced the frequency of the headaches. When I sleep in other beds I still get a sore neck and back, but usually not the headache.

As far as carbon monoxide or other environmental causes, we do have carbon monoxide detectors and I sleep with my windows open year around. I don't think it's environmental because I still get the problems with poor sleep and pain in the morning when I sleep elsewhere, it's just not quite as bad. I've even set up our AeroBed in our bedroom. While it helped with the headache and neck pain, it does a number on my lower back because it's just not very stable.

We had an OLD inner spring mattress and it was just horrible. We replaced it about 3 years ago and went for one of the newer latex foam mattresses. It helped when it was new but we are sleeping in our grooves now and it's more like being in a cheap hammock than on a mattress. We have tried our guest bed but it's a full so we're constantly fighting for more room. It's a nice pocketed coil spring mattress with a pillow top and it's really firm. I like the firmness, she hates it. I still wake up with a sore neck and back. Her parents have one of the Classic Sleep Number beds that's over 10 years old. We slept in that for 3 nights in a row and those are the best nights sleep we've gotten in the last year.

So I think I've answer all the comments for the most part.

Lots of advice here and I love the fact that I can get so much help from you guys on such a random thing.

Starting with pillows, we just purchased new, expensive pillows a few months ago. I got one that's firm around the edges and medium firm in the middle, the extra structure helps a lot. We also got pillow cases that help regulate temperature so I'm not constantly flipping the pillow to find a cool spot. They reduced the frequency of the headaches. When I sleep in other beds I still get a sore neck and back, but usually not the headache.

As far as carbon monoxide or other environmental causes, we do have carbon monoxide detectors and I sleep with my windows open year around. I don't think it's environmental because I still get the problems with poor sleep and pain in the morning when I sleep elsewhere, it's just not quite as bad. I've even set up our AeroBed in our bedroom. While it helped with the headache and neck pain, it does a number on my lower back because it's just not very stable.

We had an OLD inner spring mattress and it was just horrible. We replaced it about 3 years ago and went for one of the newer latex foam mattresses. It helped when it was new but we are sleeping in our grooves now and it's more like being in a cheap hammock than on a mattress. We have tried our guest bed but it's a full so we're constantly fighting for more room. It's a nice pocketed coil spring mattress with a pillow top and it's really firm. I like the firmness, she hates it. I still wake up with a sore neck and back. Her parents have one of the Classic Sleep Number beds that's over 10 years old. We slept in that for 3 nights in a row and those are the best nights sleep we've gotten in the last year.

So I think I've answer all the comments for the most part.

Sounds like maybe you are in the market for a hybrid.. Pocket coils with thin foam outer. My wife liked the softness, but I was looking for more firm. This was a great compromise and fit both needs/wants. Has a "sitting edge" too, where the outer edges are more firm, so when you sit on it to like put your shoes on or whatever, the edge doesnt crush into nothing.

You have probably considered this, but I want to make sure that it is on the table: medication! I too have a broken back and bad sleep is just a part of life. Finding a good mattress is an ongoing quest---I finally MADE my own, but a married guy could not do it. The worst part may be how bad or short sleep makes you gain weight, now a documented medical fact!

Myself, I can't live without mild medications for all of my aches and pains. Without them I cannot relax my stressed muscles enough to sleep well. Aspirin and Ibuprofin (Advil) are simply wonder drugs that ease pain and lead to relaxation, with little harm to the body. Probably everybody should take aspirin for the benefits to the heart anyway.

I have always fanatically resisted serious pain medications because I am afraid of addiction issues. Even after dental surgery I would not take the Vicodin they gave me! My physician finally explained how chronic pain is actually a disease in itself, with serious stress effects upon the body. I caved in and tried what he prescribed: Tramadol. This is probably the mildest prescription pain medication available, and it is not even considered a restricted opioid drug. BUT IT WORKS GREAT to ease the pain that keeps muscles tense and prevents good sleep, and does not cloud the mind. I can even get good results by cutting the tabs in half, in spite of my doctor recommending more! I urge you to have a talk about sleep and pain with your physician. There are good medications out there, and very few reasons not to try them---especially when the quest is for something as wonderful as a good sleep........................elsullo

Yeah if you have found one that works and just need the money I would say do what it takes. It's sucks having to sell firearms, I've done it, I regret it, but really you do what you have to.
Sleep is one of the most important causes of health issues. I am only 29 and have had back issues since 2001. I can't sleep for crap at night. I toss and turn, flipping pillows, you name it. I'm overall healthy and good shape, but with my back I can't ever get comfortable. Even sitting on the couch I switch from leaning on one side to the other.

If I could find anything that helped I would sell just about anything to get it. I used to live on meds, but I hated popping pills all day. So for the last 10 years I'v ejust lived with pain.
Either way let us know what you decide, and if it helps!

You have probably considered this, but I want to make sure that it is on the table: medication! I too have a broken back and bad sleep is just a part of life. Finding a good mattress is an ongoing quest---I finally MADE my own, but a married guy could not do it. The worst part may be how bad or short sleep makes you gain weight, now a documented medical fact!

Myself, I can't live without mild medications for all of my aches and pains. Without them I cannot relax my stressed muscles enough to sleep well. Aspirin and Ibuprofin (Advil) are simply wonder drugs that ease pain and lead to relaxation, with little harm to the body. Probably everybody should take aspirin for the benefits to the heart anyway.

I have always fanatically resisted serious pain medications because I am afraid of addiction issues. Even after dental surgery I would not take the Vicodin they gave me! My physician finally explained how chronic pain is actually a disease in itself, with serious stress effects upon the body. I caved in and tried what he prescribed: Tramadol. This is probably the mildest prescription pain medication available, and it is not even considered a restricted opioid drug. BUT IT WORKS GREAT to ease the pain that keeps muscles tense and prevents good sleep, and does not cloud the mind. I can even get good results by cutting the tabs in half, in spite of my doctor recommending more! I urge you to have a talk about sleep and pain with your physician. There are good medications out there, and very few reasons not to try them---especially when the quest is for something as wonderful as a good sleep........................elsullo

I'm surprised no one has brought up medication already, I'm also surprised I forgot to mention them. I do take ibuprofen a couple times a day, and flexeril when I need it. I've gotten prescriptions for lortab every 6 to 9 months or so to give me a break from the pain, get a little better sleep, and keep my sanity. I'm currently without a job and can't afford to see a doctor right now so that option is out. I was also seeing a chiropractor a couple of months ago and that helped a lot, but didn't solve the problem.

Right now it looks like I'm going to try to nickel and dime it with some random items and hope I only have to sell one gun. Maybe I'll luck out and find an envelope full of cash on a sidewalk somewhere.

We tried the sleep number bed. After just a week I discovered that I was sleeping on the worlds most expensive air mattress...and I could really tell it too. It felt just like the $20 air mattress I had on a piece of plywood and some milkcrates when I was in college.

Then we went out and bought a memory foam bed (no the expensive name brand one) and we love it. AThe best part was it cost less than a third of what the sleep number bed cost.

I Just replaced my sleep number bed because both me and the wife were sleeping horrible after a couple years....I invested my toy money that I was saving, my wife and i both sleep much better on the new bed and she is happy enough now that i get to go shopping in a couple weeks. better a happy wife and good sleep in my opinion.

Get the bed, good sleep is so dang important. Thanks for your service to our nation. It kills me that the "deal" that used to exist that if you worked hard you could afford a decent life (like guns and a decent bed!) has been broken in America! You shouldn't have to be making this choice, I hope youre health returns quickly. Best of luck to you. I've heard great things about the Sleep Number bed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top