JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
FOREST GROVE, Ore. -- A man walking his dog fended off three drunk attackers by firing a shot from his revolver early Wednesday morning, police said.

Forest Grove investigators said 55-year-old John McKnight was walking his dog just after midnight on Elm Street near Rogers Park when three drunk men started harassing him.

McKnight said he drew his .38 from a concealed holster and told them to back away.

One man told McKnight he thought the gun was unloaded and attacked, choking McKnight and biting his index finger, according to police.

McKnight was able to fire a shot into the air.

Police soon found 21-year-old Michael Ryan and arrested him for assault, strangulation and disorderly conduct.

So where did it come down then?

since about 99.99999993% (yes, i made that up, but i bet i'm really close) of the surface of the earth is non-human, i'm gonna guess it came down on some dirt, or a road, or maybe someone's roof where it bounced off and fell in the lawn. given the area, and the fact that a .38 fired straight up can travel probably a mile or more in any direction, it most likely fell in a field or forest.

we get your point, though.

Maybe he did'nt fire it in air on purpose,Maybe fired in struggle.Good for him.+1 for the good guys.He was just walking his dog when these scum bags confronted him.Hope he doesn't go through hardship because of this.Too bad he missed the guy!

we can armchair this all we want.. but the fact of the matter is, this is a clear Self-Defense Success. he used a weapon to defend himself, and nobody was hurt. life is good, today, for that man.

we can armchair this all we want.. but the fact of the matter is, this is a clear Self-Defense Success. he used a weapon to defend himself, and nobody was hurt. life is good, today, for that man.

+ 1 zillion

Wasn't there some research done about falling projectiles, and how they're not deadly, especially the small calibers like .38 or 9mm that don't carry much momentum.

Regardless, good for him.

Wasn't there some research done about falling projectiles, and how they're not deadly, especially the small calibers like .38 or 9mm that don't carry much momentum.

last summer a kid in my neighborhood got shot thru the foot from a 22. fired up in the air...a gangster 2 blocks over cranked off a round into the air

Isn't his one more appropriate?

GranTorino.jpg

the really good news in this is that the guy was not arrested - or it doesn't seems as if he was - for shooting the gun off, i.e., the police agreed it was justified. Had the guy actually shot one of the drunks, it would be a different story. Good restraint on the part of the gunowner in my opinion. A taser would have been fun, too, make the drunk do the jiggle dance on the ground, but I digress.

they reach a point of zero velocity going up (assuming straight up), then gravity takes over and they become a simple object falling back to earth at terminal velocity.

I saw a Mythbusters about that very thing. The conclusion they came up with (take it for what you will) is that the myth was busted.

they reach a point of zero velocity going up (assuming straight up), then gravity takes over and they become a simple object falling back to earth at terminal velocity.
Correct, if it goes straight up in the air it will come back down at terminal velocity, non lethal. Any sort of angle besides straight up the bullet will maintain a ballistic trajectory and usually come back down at a lethal velocity.

Yeah forest grove, shuck a muck. I remember this event about a transient that was pan handling around pacific university their in forest grove. My friend was at an atm near the movie theatre and got sucker punched in the back of the head, before he could even pull out his wallet, he woulda thought a lil town like that would be in the news so much as of late.

I saw a Mythbusters about that very thing. The conclusion they came up with (take it for what you will) is that the myth was busted.

So, the myth that if you fire a shot into the sky it can come down and kill someone was proven to be untrue, or the myth that the falling projectile cannot kill someone was proven to be untrue?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews