JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Warranty repairs feel nice but just know they work those repair costs into the price of new cars.
Yep. Honestly for the price of one new car you can buy two reliable older ones and just have a running backup (and still probably save money). If you have a SO you can just have one for each and if one goes down sort out transportation with one vehicle, or you can have three and never worry about it at all.

I am pretty sure there is no way to slice this so that a new car is a sound financial decision. They will always be a luxury/vanity item when compared to older cars with proper maintenance.

There's no reason to have a car payment at any income level. Just because someone doesn't want to drive the family hand me down $500 beater that's 3 colors doesn't mean that's not what they SHOULD be driving. Car payments are a wealth killer and it's all suicide.
It should be a short term pain. Sooner or later a new or sorta new car is needed. Unless you want 3 parts cars on your property.

Yep. Honestly for the price of one new car you can buy two reliable older ones and just have a running backup (and still probably save money). If you have a SO you can just have one for each and if one goes down sort out transportation with one vehicle, or you can have three and never worry about it at all.

I am pretty sure there is no way to slice this so that a new car is a sound financial decision. They will always be a luxury/vanity item when compared to older cars with proper maintenance.

I don't let other people tell me how to spend my money. I do what is right for me and mine. You sound like you are rationalizing your POS hoopie. And believe me, I've had a metric smit ton of those and for me and my wife it does feel nice to drive a non POS. We've earned it.

BTW, as many of you know, for the average blue-collar working guy, hitting that "magic" six-figures typically means a lot of hard work and responsibility, and a whole bunch of OT.

Praying for you brother! :s0155:
Don't feel bad for me. It's actually been fairly easy, believe it or not. Anytime I get the hankering for another gun, I just start digging around in the safe and find something that I haven't played with in a few years. I shake my head and think, "I REALLY don't need another gun, do I?"

To each their own on the vehicles. Absolutely nothing wrong with a new car, if you can afford it.

To be honest, I am getting tired of our junkers. My truck has been solid, but now that I have teenagers, a two-door Xtracab Tacoma is awful tight. I thought about selling it and buying something bigger, until I looked at prices. Ouch, that's not happening. There's just no room in the budget for that kind of thing.

My wife's car has been great, but it does need a new radiator. My teenage daughter's car is a piece of junk that I'm sick and tired of working on, but she's saving to buy something nicer soon. The family van that my teenage son drives has troubles that I only found out about last night when I drove it. I think it needs a power steering pump, and there's something wrong with the fuel system, running really rough at idle. I'm so sick of working on old vehicles at this point, but I sure as heck can't afford to pay a mechanic. I keep trying to get my kids interested in it, but they just want to drive them.

Maybe, the reference to "Cali" was meant to be an intimidation statement. Like saying that they were affiliated with the "Cali Cartel"?

Wait a minuet......stuff like THAT would never hit the news. Rrrrrright....... Because, FJB has opened the border to them. Cough, cough.....

Aloha, Mark

To each their own on the vehicles. Absolutely nothing wrong with a new car, if you can afford it.

To be honest, I am getting tired of our junkers. My truck has been solid, but now that I have teenagers, a two-door Xtracab Tacoma is awful tight. I thought about selling it and buying something bigger, until I looked at prices. Ouch, that's not happening. There's just no room in the budget for that kind of thing.

My wife's car has been great, but it does need a new radiator. My teenage daughter's car is a piece of junk that I'm sick and tired of working on, but she's saving to buy something nicer soon. The family van that my teenage son drives has troubles that I only found out about last night when I drove it. I think it needs a power steering pump, and there's something wrong with the fuel system, running really rough at idle. I'm so sick of working on old vehicles at this point, but I sure as heck can't afford to pay a mechanic. I keep trying to get my kids interested in it, but they just want to drive them.
Nothing wrong with it no, just do not try to justify it as a sound financial decision when there are far cheaper options. If you like new cars and can affor it go for it, but do not pretend like it is saving you money in the long run. Buying used, paying for maintenance and keeping that investment until there is no juice left to squeeze out of the old thing is always going to be less money than whatever rotation you can come up with for buying new and selling on while it is still running.

I know how to work on my own cars, and have done so many time in the past. That indeed is the cheapest way to do it. But having no time is also a thing. Even paying for a mechanic is cheaper than paying down a new car. I can get a near complete overhaul on an engine for 2k, and a straight up replacement for half again as much. In your case I know I could have a power steering pump replaced for the price of one month's payment on a new car (less if it one of those 100k+ monstrosities).

I have no problems with anyone buying new vehicles.
All im saying is you will pay like way way more for the same usage.

10yrs ago I bought a used truck. Paid cash for it. Over the years ive had a few repairs but then finally a big one.... the transmission went out. Cost me 4grand to replace. 4 grand ouch... or was it really that painful?
Add roughly maybe 3k to the maintenance cost plus those other miscellaneous repairs so about 7k in repairs over 10yrs.
Thats $700 per year in cost to keep driving.

What is a 1 month car payment on a new 4x4 these days?

My old Toyota doesn't owe me a dime. Other than the usual gas, oil, and tires, I don't think I've spent even $1k on it for maintenance, in the 23 years I've been driving it.

If I was superstitious I would never say such a thing; that's just asking for a major breakdown! :eek:

WOW. I just checked on my thread. I don't post threads very often, but it amazes me how far they can drift from the main subject. :s0114:

Thanks @oremike for posting that article, it is on Eugene Daily News and FacePlant if you want comments. Should have been charged with Attempted Murder.
Maybe, the reference to "Cali" was meant to be an intimidation statement. Like saying that they were affiliated with the "Cali Cartel"?

Wait a minuet......stuff like THAT would never hit the news. Rrrrrright....... Because, FJB has opened the border to them. Cough, cough.....

Aloha, Mark
They were tough with their guns in the dark, but we will see what happens when they are incarcerated.

Sorta how it works, but not really accurate numbers-wise. Where did this graph come from? Man, if you're only making $11K, the standard deduction is a lot more than that for the Feds, so you pay zero. Sure, Kotek may try to sting you some, but not even she could justify 10%. Especially after you subtract exemptions and credits. At $11K my guess is the state tax would also be pretty close to zero effectively.

I'm retired but waiting for my full retirement age before drawing Social Security, and my wife works parttime at a school. So, we know what the lower income brackets look like - at least for now. :s0108:
Dunno. It was just a quick grab. I was too lazy to do the math on effective, but based on memory, it should be pretty close to 25% effective with Oregon.

For me and my position in life, a used Toyota is expensive enough for me to justify brand new.

Some times it's not all about the money. I'll drive to the coast for a fresh right off the boat 1/2 Lb Dungeness crab cocktail with Facerock Cheese and artisan Sourdough bread. Or I could get the 5 dollar Wendys special.

Some times it's not all about the money. I'll drive to the coast for a fresh right off the boat 1/2 Lb Dungeness crab cocktail with Facerock Cheese and artisan Sourdough bread. Or I could get the 5 dollar Wendys special.
I bought a Dan Wesson and found out I coulda bought two Tisas...

I hear ya. :)

Oh fore sure. Or you can look at my gun collection for another example who "who cares about the money, I like it!" My comment was strictly against the "New cars can be more cost effective than old ones." No, they really can't be. There may be other reasons that you want a new car, but "a new car can help me get out of my financial troubles" is not one of them. I don't really get those other reasons personally, but if you like yourself a $600+ monthly bill for the latest truck with all the bells and whistles, as long as you can afford it you do you, no judgement from me.

Oh fore sure. Or you can look at my gun collection for another example who "who cares about the money, I like it!" My comment was strictly against the "New cars can be more cost effective than old ones." No, they really can't be. There may be other reasons that you want a new car, but "a new car can help me get out of my financial troubles" is not one of them. I don't really get those other reasons personally, but if you like yourself a $600+ monthly bill for the latest truck with all the bells and whistles, as long as you can afford it you do you, no judgement from me.
$600/month. Cute. It's gone just a weeee bit higher than that. For a brand new truck, you're looking a lot closer to $1k/month. I mean, unless you're a square and want a base model 2wd single cab with the small engine...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top