JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone who makes 6 figures and complains about being broke is a "rich poor person", IE someone who hasnt learned to live within their means. EG at 6 figures theres no reason for having a car payment.

I think about this every time I see someone hauling a waterski boat, in Oregon.
I call it being a low level rich guy, but I don't complain about being broke.

Anyone who makes 6 figures and complains about being broke is a "rich poor person", IE someone who hasnt learned to live within their means. EG at 6 figures theres no reason for having a car payment.

When I graduated college, between my wife and I, we had over $1k/mo in student loans for a Bachelor's of nursing and an MBA.

Not necessarily true. Some people have necessary expenses above normal. I haven't had a car payment in twenty years. We drive old cars that are paid for. We rarely eat out, don't take vacations, don't gamble, smoke, drink, or buy $10 coffees. We don't have RVs, boats, bikes, or water toys. We live pretty simple. I haven't even bought a gun in almost a year. I sure wish I could learn to live within my means...

There's no reason to have a car payment at any income level. Just because someone doesn't want to drive the family hand me down $500 beater that's 3 colors doesn't mean that's not what they SHOULD be driving. Car payments are a wealth killer and it's all suicide.
Absolutely, the only reason anyone wants to have a car payment is because they want something they cant afford.

Not necessarily true. Some people have necessary expenses above normal. I haven't had a car payment in twenty years. We drive old cars that are paid for. We rarely eat out, don't take vacations, don't gamble, smoke, drink, or buy $10 coffees. We don't have RVs, boats, bikes, or water toys. We live pretty simple. I haven't even bought a gun in almost a year. I sure wish I could learn to live within my means...
Sounds to me like youve learned to live within your means.

Now that I've got coffee and it's not 0600....

$100k/yr = $8,333/month
Minus 22-24% federal and call it an average of 8% if you're Washington or Oregon. Call that an effective tax rate of 25% to make it easy.

$6,250 remaining
- $750 Health Insurance
- $2000 Mortgage
- $100 utilities
- $75 Internet
- $750 food
- $150 car insurance
- $150 gas
$2,275 Remaining
Subtract out college loans to get you to $100k. Car payments, retirement and kid costs.

Don't get me wrong, if you're making $100k, you're in the top 15% of income earners, which is sometimes double that of the median household income.

Minus 22-24% federal and call it an average of 8% if you're Washington or Oregon. Call that an effective tax rate of 25% to make it easy.
DUDE! Just stop with the math already. 22 to 24 plus 8 is 30 to 32. NOT 25. GET MORE COFFEE! :s0092:

Do you both work from home? I wish I was only spending $150/month on gas. :( (I'm retired, and my wife's commute is only miles roundtrip, but we still manage $250 - $300 per month on gas.)

DUDE! Just stop with the math already. 22 to 24 plus 8 is 30 to 32. NOT 25. GET MORE COFFEE! :s0092:

Do you both work from home? I wish I was only spending $150/month on gas. :( (I'm retired, and my wife's commute is only miles roundtrip, but we still manage $250 - $300 per month on gas.)
The tax system is graduated.... If you are in the 24% tax bracket, you don't pay all of your tax at that level... There's the tax bracket and then the effective tax rate, which is an average of what you paid.

Graphical representation on how the US tax system works.
1000014787.png

The pictures and videos are of my Step-Granddaughter's boyfriend going out for coffee this morning in the white pickup truck. He was going out for coffee and was turning when two juveniles stepped out into the road. Words were exchanged after he told them to get out of the road. It was just dark enough that visibility was poor and they were wearing dark clothes. They yelled back that they were from "cali" and don't bubblegum with them. They pulled up their shirts to show their pistols, pulled them out and started shooting. The second video shows the best angle - make sure your sound is on.

I will send pictures of the truck later - computer problems opening them. One bullet went through the back of the canopy and ended up in the radio/video player. One of them had a .40 and the other had a .22. Lots of police looking for the juveniles.
Absolutely crazy. They stated from cali go back. I hope they find the juveniles and the boyfriend is ok.
I wonder…..

View attachment 1811094
Nu-UH! If work overtime I get taxed at 178% and I actually pay da goobermint to work!!

ok, whatever dude. Don't listen to reality just stay home and don't collect 1.5x your hourly wage. I'm done trying to explain tax brackets to people who won't listen while I'm pulling in almost 90k at a 70k hourly wage

I do work from home, but I also drive a 5.7 V8. So I really have no idea what normal people pay. :s0140:

View attachment 1811094
Sorta how it works, but not really accurate numbers-wise. Where did this graph come from? Man, if you're only making $11K, the standard deduction is a lot more than that for the Feds, so you pay zero. Sure, Kotek may try to sting you some, but not even she could justify 10%. Especially after you subtract exemptions and credits. At $11K my guess is the state tax would also be pretty close to zero effectively.

I'm retired but waiting for my full retirement age before drawing Social Security, and my wife works parttime at a school. So, we know what the lower income brackets look like - at least for now. :s0108:

One thing about buying a new car vs a used one. Warranty. I figured when I was working and needed a car every day I needed to have 10 grand in the bank and the time to fix whatever broke by the next day to get to work. Or I could make payments and have triple A. That piece of mind was worth it both to me and my wife. During that time I was working on the coast and she here in town. If she were to have a problem the fastest I could be back was 2 hours.

One thing about buying a new car vs a used one. Warranty. I figured when I was working and needed a car every day I needed to have 10 grand in the bank and the time to fix whatever broke by the next day to get to work. Or I could make payments and have triple A. That piece of mind was worth it both to me and my wife. During that time I was working on the coast and she here in town. If she were to have a problem the fastest I could be back was 2 hours.
Warranty repairs feel nice but just know they work those repair costs into the price of new cars.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top