JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Shoot or No shoot?

• Shoot

Votes: 44 77.2%
  • Don't shoot

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Draw and get charged with illegal use of a weapon

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
alas it seems those "poked" didn't wish to press charges of assault w/intent... as the perp was charged w/harassment only:
ORS 166.065
(1) A person commits the crime of harassment if the person intentionally:
(a) Harasses or annoys another person by:
(A) Subjecting such other person to offensive physical contact;

(3) Harassment is a Class B misdemeanor.

sure the perp was out the next afternoon to make yet another 'rod' to "poke" folk.

Depends on aggresion level.
I likely would have acted, and am certain that the man in question would be hospitalized.
If he approached and "poked" my wife, or nephews, he wouldn't have been arrested. He would have been buried.
Again with the "rather tried by twelve" argument. I'm okay with that.

alas it seems those "poked" didn't wish to press charges of assault w/intent... as the perp was charged w/harassment only:
ORS 166.065
(1) A person commits the crime of harassment if the person intentionally:
(a) Harasses or annoys another person by:
(A) Subjecting such other person to offensive physical contact;

(3) Harassment is a Class B misdemeanor.

sure the perp was out the next afternoon to make yet another 'rod' to "poke" folk.
Cap his azz and be done with it...

Shouldn't "stabbing" four someone's in the neck be consider assault with a dangerous weapon, and a felony???

Oh, that's right, it was Portland, the progressive sh!thole of the northern Willamette Valley...

Remember this?
A Portland Tattoo Artist Fatally Shot a Homeless Man in the Parking Lot of His Business. Oregon Law Says the Shooting Was Legal.

Headline reads:
"A half-dozen bystanders witnessed what happened. Some told police they'd watched the unnecessary murder of a homeless man."

Homeless or not, pull a knife on me you'd better be quick with it, Jack, or it's your last day. Seems like people forget that it is necessary to defend yourself.
Not having been present, I cannot say whether he was justified with the asp, but as I understand it, he was not "hitting" the homeless fella, rather he was using the baton to keep a distance between himself and the now deceased man, when the guy pulled a knife and was immediately shot.
Portland attitude says let yourself be a victim. Multco courts almost immediately found no wrongdoing.

Neck, back, arm, leg... I would assume someone was poking me with a rod infected with HIV, hepatitis or other incurable virus and done everything possible to avoid being poked. My last resort would be shooting him... not necessarily my first resort.

sorry but as previously stated from the OP's initial article, those allegedly 'poked' apparently didn't press charges so you can get your testosterone bravado up all you want stating "i would do this or that or..." all you want.

Reality is painful...

justcuz,

Perhaps, I'm the only one, but I didn't understand your post.

Do you think those who declare their self defense choices are all full of hot air because push come to shove they too would not press charges?

So, all who declare what they'd do in the way of self defense are full of it...? They'd weenie out like those who'd been attacked?

Clarification please and thanks..

Depends on aggresion level.
I likely would have acted, and am certain that the man in question would be hospitalized.
If he approached and "poked" my wife, or nephews, he wouldn't have been arrested. He would have been buried.
Again with the "rather tried by twelve" argument. I'm okay with that.

QFT

I was working in DT PDX about 4 years back and there was a homeless guy verbally threatening people who were waiting at the bus stop. He was targeting those who looked weak and spouting off a (assumed drug/alcohol ladened) tirade of nonsense. He didn't actually put his hands on anyone, but he was yelling and screaming vulgar threats at several people.

Most people are too pathetic to stand up for themselves, it's really sad and I don't understand how people can be so 'asleep' at the wheel. Too much marketing, consumerism, blind following going on for my liking. It's amazing how easily people give in to the influence of outside forces and don't question the information presented to them.

I suppose this is a dialogue for another day as I don't want to go down the rabbit hole any further.

Stay alert with your surroundings, be respectful and kind to the people you encounter, do nice things without expecting anything in return and let people in your lane when they use their blinker. Some things we can all do a little better job at. ;)

1st thing, congrats on having situational awareness to sense a threat. Second, congrats on listening to it. Third, any one invading your space (too close for comfort, jagged irrational, menacing movements) should put you in instant red alert. Fourth, flight, assess, neutralize the threat if deemed justified. A person coming at you with a sharp insterment is a threat. Not talking the dentist with a dremel. All of us know the 21 foot rule, but it may not be possible in close quarters. Fight with all you have to survive, hire good attorneys and do what it takes to stop the threat. We all want to go home to our families. The situational awareness that you keep may help you come home at the end of the day. And please, keep the exit wounds on the back side!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top