JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a custom 6mm AR and a 556 AR that I want to supress. Does anyone know of 556 cans that would accomidate a 6mm bullet? both rifles are 1/2x28. I rather not go with a 30 cal suppressor to keep the weigh/size down and avoid buying extra adapters as most are 5/8" I believe. Thanks for the help!

The reality is yes, you probably could. The opening in the baffles and endcap are larger than 5.56mm, likely 6-6.5mm. BUT, if you have ANY issues with the bullet or can, you'll have baffle/end cap damage at best and a destroyed can at worst. I wouldn't chance it.

If your worried about length and weight and adapters.. Then get a silencerco omega and use the qd mounts, they make them in 1/2-28 and 5/8 24 for all your 30cal and under toys, its one of the lighter smaller cans in the market and works great in 223.. I wouldn't ever buy a 556 can after having this one.

Gents
Thanks again for the help on this. Like SCARed said above many 556 cans have an internal ID much larger than .224, if fact some are as large as .280. The M4-2000 by AAC at one time was rated for the 6.8SPC. And there are a few specialty suppressors like the SAS Barricade that are made for 6.5mm chamberings. In the end looks like I will abandon the idea and go with the one size fits all 30cal can. The wait begins.

I say this, not as real advice, just as a musing. What about getting the 5.56 can, which are lighter and shorter than 30-cal cans, and drill each hole out just a bit. I bet someone with a really good drill press could open it up a half a millimeter and be good.

Is this idea as stupid as it sounds...or even more stupid than that? I mean, what could possibly go wrong? If you ruin the can, just go down to the store and buy another one. Uh oh, I'm digging an even bigger hole now. I'll stop digging.

Not legal? Is that because the caliber on the paperwork is 5.56mm and the plan is to go bigger? Or because the plan is to go different in any way? I don't understand why putzing around with one's own possession is illegal. I'm not arguing, I just don't understand why the ATF would have any say.

Yes. The ATF does not allow you to open up baffle to fit a larger bullet. The baffles are not items that you, as a non manufacturer, can modify and you certainly cannot open them up to a larger caliber size. Its OK that you dont understand their reasoning or mandate but its not the sort of thing you want to go messing around with. Things like title one transfers and mag bans I could give a damn about but when it comes to title II firearms and silencers it is definitely not a good idea to go off doing things your own way.

With today's 7.62 cans there really is no reason to even mess with a 556 can. Unless you want to have it dedicated solely to a single firearm. Heck my silencerco omega can is lighter and shorter and quite on a 556 then some of the 556 cans.. The 7.62 gives you more volume for the gas to expand in, hence the quieter nature. Furthermore on the Omega you can just buy the 556 end cap and boom.. You have both a 7.62 and 5.56 can.. All wrapped up into one slightly shorter than 7in and 14oz can. Very very hard to beat combo.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top