JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would You Ship Ammo Directly to an Individual in NY State (not NYC)?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I’m a lawyer and it’s completely legal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Heck no, too high a risk for the seller

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
Curious what people think about shipping ammo to non-NYC locations in NY? Also, as dumb of laws as they may be, I am not interested in committing and crimes.

I've had multiple NY State residence telling me it's completely legal. Everything I have read is it has to be shipped to an FFL, even with the MoU to the Safe Act.

Also, from what I found on the gunsaftey.ny.gov website:

"Effective September 1, 2022: Any seller of ammunition or dealer in firearms shall keep either an electronic record, or dataset, or an organized collection of structured information, or data, typically stored electronically in a computer system approved as to form by the superintendent of state police. In the record shall be entered at the time of every transaction involving ammunition the date, name, age, occupation and residence of any person from whom ammunition is received or to whom ammunition is delivered, and the amount, caliber, manufacturer's name and serial number, or if none, any other distinguishing number or identification mark on such ammunition."

I've shipped ammo a bunch, so not worried about the process of shipping it. I just don't ship to certain places where it's illegal…NY had always been on my list of places not to ship to but lately I've had a couple buyers insist it's legal to ship direct to them since they are outside of the 5 burroughs (NYC).

It's 7.62x39…must be hard to get or expensive there. I know a lot of retailers won't ship ammo there. Target Sports does…

Curious what people think about shipping ammo to non-NYC locations in NY? Also, as dumb of laws as they may be, I am not interested in committing and crimes.

I've had multiple NY State residence telling me it's completely legal. Everything I have read is it has to be shipped to an FFL, even with the MoU to the Safe Act.

Also, from what I found on the gunsaftey.ny.gov website:

"Effective September 1, 2022: Any seller of ammunition or dealer in firearms shall keep either an electronic record, or dataset, or an organized collection of structured information, or data, typically stored electronically in a computer system approved as to form by the superintendent of state police. In the record shall be entered at the time of every transaction involving ammunition the date, name, age, occupation and residence of any person from whom ammunition is received or to whom ammunition is delivered, and the amount, caliber, manufacturer's name and serial number, or if none, any other distinguishing number or identification mark on such ammunition."
From the way that reads is legal, but you would have to keep a log of who bought it, plus all this crap: ammunition the date of sale, name, age, occupation and residence of any person from whom ammunition is received or to whom ammunition is delivered, and the amount, caliber, manufacturer's name and serial number, or if none, any other distinguishing number or identification mark on such ammunition.
So you keep a log of you sending it with all that info in it or a log with all of their info and plus all the info for the ammo.
Not worth it to me to do it.

Shipping to an FFL is completely legal, so the buyer is checking with a couple FFLs.

I think this will be what I require for shipping to NY, moving forward…if it ever even comes up again. I agree with the poll responses so far, that shipping directly to a non-FFL in NY just isn't worth the risk due to their stupidly confusing laws.

UPS still packs and ships both firearms and ammunition, I've used them several times and have not had any issues. They don't charge hazmat for ammunition under 500lbs only for powder & primers.

No hazmat for loaded ammunition or primed brass.

Always required small arms ammunition labelling, or its equivalent. Now I believe only needs the white&black sticker indicating small arms ammunition.

Primers & powder unloaded in brass are another story altogether, one which I've never dealt with & have no interest in doing so.

Folks whom wish to attempt to circumvent current rules/regs & or laws by shipping things improperly labelled or incorrectly declared truly risk a whole bunch! Federal stuff...

The white and black sticker is all that's needed for the package and it's an indicator that it is a miscellaneous hazard package, it's used for spray cans as well.
Primers & powders are class 1 hazmat and ammunition & primed brass is class 9.

NO, I would NOT do this.

I do not care what state it is in but especially in some states including NEW YORK.

WHY can't the buyer FIND WHAT HE NEEDS in his own state of New York even OUTSIDE of the city?

His FFL dealer could special order ammunition for him if it is not ALREADY in stock in his store and have it shipped to the FFL dealer's store.

NEW YORK state added even MORE gun/ammunition/etc. LAWS to their laws already on the books too.

THE LAST GO AROUND was FUBAR when it came to ammo buying/ordering/shipping in NY too. That was ALL over the news and I am not talking about recent times as in ONE YEAR or so.

Cate
Typos! Worded wrong.

Last Edited:
I cast my vote no, as the question asked was, "directly to an individual." Which is contrary to NY state law.

However, you may sell to a NY state resident so long as you ship to an FFL dealer, who will then transfer the ammo to the individual buyer. About NYC, I don't know. The one guy I sold to in NY was upstate, it was no problem.

As to why he wanted this ammo, I don't know. I was unable to sell it out here but he was glad to get it.

Yeah, this guy is upstate NY, also…He found an FFL so I'm shipping there, just waiting on the FFL to contact me. I'm also not sure why he isn't buying local…I'm guessing my pricing was better than he can find it local for Russian 7.62x39…if at all. I haven't seen it in my local store for a while now.

The sale I made to NY was a couple of years ago. I see they have some new requirements for dealers to keep records of ammo sales. Meaning, records about who is buying what and how many. Seems like I also read that in future, there will be a BGC required. As is required in CA. All this extra work for gun dealers will help keep them in business, but will cost customers more.

This regulatory stuff isn't necessarily frowned upon by dealers. When I-594 came along in Wash., I remember hearing a couple of dealers opine that it would be good for business. And it has been.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews