Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by New York, Jan 12, 2011.
Round Table Pizza NE Hwy 99 Vancouver between 1-3PM. First come, first serve.
This is what Sheriff Palmer will need from the applicant who would like to apply for the Oregon [non-resident] Concealed Handgun License through Grant County, Oregon. Oregon will only issue CHLs to people who are residents of states that border Oregon. Those states are Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada. A non resident from the states listed can go to any sheriff in Oregon and apply, but Sheriff Palmer of Grant County Oregon is a true friend of gun owners, and his goal is to make it as easy as possible for our border state residents to obtain an Oregon Concealed Handgun License.
They will not have time to organize this for you, so you need to have the paperwork fully prepared and paper-clipped together, except for the fingerprint card and picture which they will do in person. Be advised: On the Oregon CHL application, disclosure of your Social Security number is VOLUNTARY.
Here's the checklist:
1. A Copy (black & white) of your driver's license. Address on your driver's license MUST match your current residence. If it doesn't, please try to visit the DMV and take care of that prior to meeting the Sheriff.
2. A copy of every current concealed weapons permit you have. If no permits then either a passport, military I.D., voter registration card, employee I.D. or some type of photo I.D., etc.Costco cards will do. No credit cards please. If you absolutely do not have a 2nd form of I.D. I'm pretty confident Sheriff Palmer will make an exception. If you were born outside the U.S. (and not because you were a military baby) then bring a copy of your passport.
3. Photocopy of your certificate of training for Oregon. It must show basic handgun training was a major portion of the training.
4. Grant County CHL application filled out completely; signed and stapled together. Social Security number is not required. If the link below doesn't work, just go to oregonfirearms.org > CHL Central > [scroll down to map] Grant County > Grant County CHL Application
The application has been recently updated, so please use this link.
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/pdfs/Grant County CHL 3.pdf
5. Check or money order for $65 made payable to 'Grant County Sheriff's Office'
6. Self-addressed stamped envelope (letter size).
7. A piece of paper quarter turned in landscape mode with your legal name (middle initial is ok) typed in the largest font so it fits across the very top of the page on the same line. This is needed for you to hold up by your chest when they take your mug shot. If you are not a computer person & have no idea how to accomplish this, just use a sharpie and hand write it.
8. Picture (jpeg format - will be done in person)
9. Fingerprints (will be done in person using the LiveScan machine)
I'm guessing they'll be able to bang out about 40 or so applications. First come, first serve. First person who gets there should start a sign in sheet with their name on top (like take a number).
The manager of RTP is very gracious to allow Sheriff Palmer to occupy the back room, so please come hungry and patronize.
"3. Photocopy of your certificate of training for Oregon. It must show basic handgun training was a major portion of the training."
In regards to #3 is the Maryland Firearms Safety Course still accepted as a certificate of training?
Thank you for the update, But not ready this time.lol
btw, I am a permanent resident with WA conceal carry permit. Still need a copy of passport?
hmm. I think I had copy of passport when I was getting WA CCP. Can't remember. lol
Yes, but be advised they have not yet implemented the https protocol, and your personal information you enter can easily be hacked into with a simple kiddie script.
I've emailed the webmaster at mdgunsafety a few months ago advising them of their carelessness but apparently it fell on deaf ears of yet another government agency.
If you are comfortable supplying just your name and date of birth, you will be able to enroll in that training program.
Good to know. While its to late for me since I got mine last year and used that site. I will pas it on to my buddy and let him decide.
New York - Thank you for the heads up on this. I was able to make it and get my application in - plus it was a pretty good crowd of folks that showed up.
When I left they had 60 signed in.
I asked the Sheriff how many they wanted to make it a worthwhile day, he said 20. They seemed pleased.
I was the first guy to get the finger printing and I was beginning to get worried when Glenn's computer was acting up - he had to reboot and then it was fine. I think this was really a good deal for everyone concerned. It sure beats being denied by Multinomah or being told "no" by Clackamas counties just for even applying as an out of state person.
Your Wife let you be first.
Yeah, you can say that again. I am sure glad she puts up with my shooting activities and buying guns!
But let me tell you, the pay back is rough as now I have to go to the fabric store or Ikea without complaining... haha.
Do you know when/where Sheriff Palmer is coming back to WA?
Yes, I too would like to know if and when he is returning, or if a person can go to him and get it done.
I'll try to find out for you guys.
He said NEVER!!!!!! (Just kidding) Might be a trip in mid May 2011.
Bronco Fan???? Come on Ken we have Oregon teams that need our support...Idaho??? Orange and Blue???
I am contemplating a trip to the Portland area Mid may as we are expecting a grandchild AND I will be in Portland for training the last weekend of April, first couple days of May....might be able to squeeze in an evening in there somewhere. Probably be in Vancouver/Battleground area.
Would there be a proud gun owner that would like to try to help me set up a place in the Vancouver area and see that we get this advertised???? If I did an evening, it'd only be for about 2 hours and I figure 25-30 folks max. I can print about 15 folks an hour as long as their prints are good. Maybe a couple volunteers to help get applications, receipts, take money and take a picture of the applicant.
We have done Round Table Pizza several times as long as the participants patronize the business we have been forunate to not have to pay for the use oftheir meeting/banquet room.
I can be reached at work 541-575-1131 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, please. I'll find a way to get there!
Thank you so much for caring about us up here!
I'll ask again,is my certificate I got from last year still good?
I got it when the (can't remember his name) did the Utah thing at Cabella's and he gave us the Or cert.
So will that work for this?
OW! I'm torn, being a BSU grad and all. I'm good with Orange and Black but I think I'm allergic to Green. Thanks for responding so quickly Glenn! Safe travels.
Yes....your training certificate will work regardless of how long ago you took the training. If you feel you need a refresher or additional training, that is something that I don't get involved with. All I need is proof you had the course.......
Separate names with a comma.