JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DRRC does not use the term Cold range.
The Line is Cold. Cold Line.
Firearms are unloaded, benched-racked, w chamber flags inserted.
Anyone not going down range shall stand behind the benches.
No touching guns or anything on the benches.
Shooters may go down range to hang, check, repair, remove targets on a cold line.

Rules for bringing firearms to the line are like those at the Eugene club.

"The Line is Hot" Hot line - guns may be handled, loaded, fired, while at all times pointed at target and impact berms.
Only when the line is hot may Firearms be removed from the line after being unloaded, muzzle pointed vertically or cased and carried to a vehicle.

DRRC allows handguns at the indoor, dynamic, silhouette, ranges and tactical shotgun bay
DRRC with exceptions, does not allow open carry loaded firearms.
Exceptions
LEOs with their shield displayed.
CC licensees with their irons outta sight.
Competitors participating in IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, etc matches.
Board approved, RSO supervised handgun training.

DRRC orientation covers all the rules. All members are responsible for enforcing the rules.
Of the 1500+ active members, 150+ are NRA certified Range Safety Officers.
If a member is reported to the board for rule violation, the member may discuss the issue with the board.
Well and good. But attitude is the reason I never went back to DRRC after the first time. I went probably 12 years ago, or so, to sight in my deer rifle on a public sight in day, and it being a week day, I took along my restored Remington rolling block, just in case there was time and space to sight it in too.

As I'm exiting my vehicle about 30 yards from the entrance to the firing line, with both rifles in my hands, both muzzles pointed vertically, yellow flags in the open actions, I hear somebody angrily yelling about carrying "that weapon properly". Apparently, while closing the doors on my vehicle with both hands full and a range bag over my shoulder I had allowed one of the muzzles, while remaining absolutely vertical, to dip slightly below the top of my head. Upon approaching the two gentlemen standing at the entrance to the firing line I apologized for any infractions to their rules, upon which I was lectured about "proper" gun handling and told gruffly to hand over my rifles for inspection. Now, the rolling block is a $3500 rifle and in pristine condition. I'm not about to hand it over to just anybody for manhandling and potential damage, and there was no padded table or anything to lay it on. I said "If you don't mind, I'll hold this one while you check the barrel for obstructions and check the chamber to make sure it's not loaded." This was met with a good deal of resistance, so I finally relented and allowed the guy to handle the rifle. I finished up sighting in the deer rifle and left, never to return.

Well and good. But attitude is the reason I never went back to DRRC after the first time. I went probably 12 years ago, or so, to sight in my deer rifle on a public sight in day, and it being a week day, I took along my restored Remington rolling block, just in case there was time and space to sight it in too.

As I'm exiting my vehicle about 30 yards from the entrance to the firing line, with both rifles in my hands, both muzzles pointed vertically, yellow flags in the open actions, I hear somebody angrily yelling about carrying "that weapon properly". Apparently, while closing the doors on my vehicle with both hands full and a range bag over my shoulder I had allowed one of the muzzles, while remaining absolutely vertical, to dip slightly below the top of my head. Upon approaching the two gentlemen standing at the entrance to the firing line I apologized for any infractions to their rules, upon which I was lectured about "proper" gun handling and told gruffly to hand over my rifles for inspection. Now, the rolling block is a $3500 rifle and in pristine condition. I'm not about to hand it over to just anybody for manhandling and potential damage, and there was no padded table or anything to lay it on. I said "If you don't mind, I'll hold this one while you check the barrel for obstructions and check the chamber to make sure it's not loaded." This was met with a good deal of resistance, so I finally relented and allowed the guy to handle the rifle. I finished up sighting in the deer rifle and left, never to return.

Don't return.
Maybe double the cost per gun at public hunter site-in.
Maybe DRRC should double the dues.
Maybe double the work hour requirement.
Maybe if you don't get the hours in, you can't renew
Maybe double the range rental fees.
I hear a whine. Maybe the power steering pump needs a hug

Don't return.
I rest my case.

Big Timber Rifle and Pistol Club - yes we have some business in Lincoln City so I am there now and then anyway. I'd move there if I could drag my wife out of here. I've been trying to get out of the Portland area for the last 20 years but I don't want a divorce!

Don't return.
Maybe double the member IQ?

Don't return.

Are you a member at DRRC and or a board member?

I am curious for a few reasons....

Maybe double the member IQ?
Zeke
we (you and I) are gun lovers, conservative bent, herd avoiding, independent thinkers.
we are old enough to have experienced one or more life changing events.
we are both scarred by them.
I'm saddened that your DRRC event still warps your peace of mind.
A couple years ago, I apologized to you for that event on behalf of all DRRC members.
Been a member since 1987, was one of about 500 members. This month, 3500+.
I volunteered to take minutes notes. I didn't realize I was voted on as a Board member also.
Only a year and a half on the Board, Only 6 months to go. Can't wait to be done.
Worn out by folks not able to do what they want because... Full auto, bump-firing, target-frame-to-toothpicks makers, muzzle-sweeping, sign shooters.
Highly irritated by nit-pickin whiners that can't get past their being offended by something, by somebody.
How many years has it been? "probably 12 years ago?"
I don't score real high on IQ, knuckle dragging blue collar retiree.

Wish I knew who that member was who hurt you and damaged DRRC's goodwill.

Zeke
we (you and I) are gun lovers, conservative bent, herd avoiding, independent thinkers.
we are old enough to have experienced one or more life changing events.
we are both scarred by them.
I'm saddened that your DRRC event still warps your peace of mind.
A couple years ago, I apologized to you for that event on behalf of all DRRC members.
Been a member since 1987, was one of about 500 members. This month, 3500+.
I volunteered to take minutes notes. I didn't realize I was voted on as a Board member also.
Only a year and a half on the Board, Only 6 months to go. Can't wait to be done.
Worn out by folks not able to do what they want because... Full auto, bump-firing, target-frame-to-toothpicks makers, muzzle-sweeping, sign shooters.
Highly irritated by nit-pickin whiners that can't get past their being offended by something, by somebody.
How many years has it been? "probably 12 years ago?"
I don't score real high on IQ, knuckle dragging blue collar retiree.

Wish I knew who that member was who hurt you and damaged DRRC's goodwill.
Understood. I don't remember us discussing this before, but if we did and you apologized on behalf of the club then thank you. It's not nitpicking or whining, and it hasn't really crossed my mind except the other day here, and whenever I drove past DRRC on the way to Eagle Creek Rod & Gun Club over the ensuing years. Yes, one bad apple can have a lasting effect. You get one chance to make a first impression. As gun enthusiasts we all need to be conscious of when we are making a first impression, which is nearly all the time. You can't unring a bell. Taking on some responsibility for running a range or anything else doesn't grant a license to abuse or be rude. I don't dwell on it, but I don't volunteer for more by coming back again. It's that simple.

So here's an interesting way to think about this. What would have happened if you would have seen there was some kind of match going on and asked if you could help or even shoot in the match? You know actually be part of the club you've joined?

DRRC events are open to the public (Calendar)
Members work 8 hours per year, or pay an additional $150
Many members volunteer to help:
Hunter Sight-in Range Coaching, parking lot monitor
Tuesday work mornings, annual work Saturday
High-Power, Service Rifle Match target pullers
Match set-up, put-away (such as 3-gun, USPSA)
Most of the work is lightweight. Picking up targets, repairing target stands.
When I was employed, it was hard to make time to work at the club.
Retired now, since June have clocked 200 hours.
1500 active members, all kinds of folks.
Just trying to keep the club open, safe.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top