JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There have been 7 Portland police officers arrested for various acts including felony assault since the first of the year. A spokesman for the department stated, "It's a big organization..." and went on to justify the number by implying that it's a relatively small percentage. I work for a company with about 3000 employees and I doubt that a similar percentage of them were arrested this year, not even close. My take on it is that people with issues have always been drawn to enforcement work, but there are usually controls in place that weed them out of candidate pool. Apparently, those controls are somewhat lacking in Portand over the last decade or so.

I think its more of the case where people that have a job with some authority and a bit of general respect, begin to live more into it and believe everyone HAS to respect and bend over backwards to them because of their job. COPS, thats right i said its a job, just like the garbage man, he doesn't get all pissy when you put out a bag with a whole in it and make you know it. It is just natural human character that some will without even intending to, to take advantage and feel they are more impowered then everyone else. This is still a small percentage of people, not all cops. Put 10 people on a island with limits of food and water, and someone, even if they all are great people, will turn into something they have never ment to be or what others have perceived of them

There have been 7 Portland police officers arrested for various acts including felony assault since the first of the year. A spokesman for the department stated, "It's a big organization..." and went on to justify the number by implying that it's a relatively small percentage. I work for a company with about 3000 employees and I doubt that a similar percentage of them were arrested this year, not even close. My take on it is that people with issues have always been drawn to enforcement work, but there are usually controls in place that weed them out of candidate pool. Apparently, those controls are somewhat lacking in Portland over the last decade or so.

Yes, the lowering of hiring standards and qualifications comes with a price. They went into it with their eyes wide open but now seem surprised they are having some problems. Very stylish.

Yes, the lowering of hiring standards and qualifications comes with a price. They went into it with their eyes wide open but now seem surprised they are having some problems. Very stylish.

What's the basis for this comment? In what specific ways have the standards from "then" and now changed?

What's the basis for this comment? In what specific ways have the standards from "then" and now changed?

From <broken link removed>

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) _ Portland Police Chief Rosie Sizer says she may lower educational requirements for new officers from two years of college to a high school diploma or General Educational Development certificate.

There is the case of the Illinois man with a 120 IQ who applied to his local police force. Although he had the high score (or one of the highest) on the test, he was rejected. The bureau said that having too high an IQ would make him bored. He took the municipality to court and lost. The court said that the bureau can make whatever requirements they want, as long as those requirements are applied to all applicants.

Here's another incident: Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

I've heard that rejecting high IQ candidates is becoming more common. If so, and considering the attrition rate, then the IQs of the average officer is dropping significantly.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top