JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Most recent info I found on this site was from 2019 and was in reference to a semi-auto receiver so just to follow up in case laws have changed.....I need to send a semi-auto handgun back to the manufacturer for warranty work. They are sending me a UPS label, so does that mean I can just drop it off at the UPS shop and send it out? (And yes, they will either have no idea what's in the box or will be told it's something else.) Then after repair, does it have to come back through an FFL and if so, do I have to jump through another BGC?

Thanks!

You can send it from a ups hub or schedule a ups driver to pick it up. You can't ship it from a ups store however.

Best to just drop it off at the ups hub.

after repair its shipped directly to your door.

youre supposed to declare it at the hub. up to you if you don't.
Gotcha. Just reading the recent info where UPS says they will no longer ship gun parts has me thinking I'd rather keep it under the radar, but I don't want any legal trouble if they x-ray it or something.

** OK, I just googled it and looks like they are squawking about shipping "ghost guns" so I guess I'm good to go.

I did two warranty returns within the past five years; each time, they sent me FedEx labels so I boxed 'em up and dropped them off at the nearest FedEx store (I think FedEx has recently stopped shipping firearms, probably why you got a UPS label). You're wise to avoid volunteering info about the contents; if asked, be creative in your response. Heavy duty single hole punch? Machine parts?

Once repaired, the manufacturer mailed my firearms directly back to me (signature required, IIRC). The first time, I had it come to the house. That experience taught me that my temperament is unsuited to being tied to the house for a delivery that may or may not arrive as scheduled. Or may be made to a similar address 185 miles north of my front door. The next time, I specified delivery to the nearest FedEx shop and text notification of arrival. If UPS has a similar arrangement, I recommend it.

Once repaired, the manufacturer mailed my firearms directly back to me (signature required, IIRC). The first time, I had it come to the house. That experience taught me that my temperament is unsuited to being tied to the house for a delivery that may or may not arrive as scheduled. Or may be made to a similar address 185 miles north of my front door. The next time, I specified delivery to the nearest FedEx shop and text notification of arrival. If UPS has a similar arrangement, I recommend it.
everything-is-going-according-to-plan_(1).jpg

Now, to close even that loophole.

Aloha, Mark

Not to drift this thread but what happens if said pistol is sent in, the mag was found to be the guilty party, and they cannot "import" a new mag? Stuck with a 10 round replacement?

Some time back I shipped my S&W to Cylinder & Slide for the works. What I was told is since you're shipping to a licensed manufacturer, and since there's no 'transfer' of ownership, it's completely legal to do. Also legal for them to ship it back, to the legal registered owner. May seem obvious after the fact, but I thought is worthwhile to mention. Keys are no change of ownership, and the shipment is to / from a licensed manufacturer. IIRC mine went to and from via UPS, no problems whatsoever.

When I returned my JRA M14 I was sent a UPS label and in returned in the gun case it was shipped in. The UPS guy at the depot knew it was a long gun since I also used the shipping box that it sent to my FFL. Really hard to hide that fact about shipping a long gun in for repairs anymore. It was legal since I was returning for repairs. I did take it to a UPS depot not a store.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top