JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, completed my Anderson lower build today. Just ordered the upper from PSA that's why it is only a semi-build. Did all the work at my desk with tools on hand. No vise or blocks. Just a lot of painters tape to ensure no marking up the receiver. I also put in a RA 140 Super Sporter trigger in this one.

file_zpszgmvbtkb.jpe
stock1_zpspabdinuc.jpe
stock_zpse3ddsgoc.jpe

Won't help with uppers, but for lowers you might look into the Wheeler AR Armorer's Vise. Small and light enough to be portable, heavy enough to do assembly work with no bench required--I used mine to knock my lower together on a hotel-room desk. :) (I cheated, since I had no tools at all just started at the fully loaded Armorer Ultra Kit... a package capable of more than I'll probably ever be, marred only by the absence of screwdrivers and Allen wrenches for installing pistol grips--though I'm considering adding a carrier-key staker and a gas-block dimple tool as "Nice To Haves".)

With this damned gut flu sending me running every hour or so, I may actually HAVE to start smithing on the loo if it keeps up... :(

Besides, you have to admit that as long as you keep the drain plugged bathtub walls make a great "flying parts trap." :D

We're not knocking using the John, it's you not fessing up to the REAL reason all your stuff is FDE!!

:D
LOL, no FDE here at all... stainless, blued, Parkerized or anodized only. (Well, aside from some green Duracoat/Cerakote/paint if the build for the girlfriend's use when visiting goes forward...) I'll leave the fancy vanity-colors artsy-fartsy crap to Yuppie Gunnies. :p

Anodized... Is that code for something? :D
No, that's finishing for cheap aluminum since Stoner didn't use God's Chosen Metal of 4340 Ordnance Steel as The Lord and His Prophet John Moses Browning *intended* guns to be made of. :p

God, y'all got crappy senses of humor... (Then again, the same has been said of me too--Grandpa was none too thrilled when as a wee one I booby-trapped his commode with Pop-its...)

No, that's finishing for cheap aluminum since Stoner didn't use God's Chosen Metal of 4340 Ordnance Steel as The Lord and His Prophet John Moses Browning *intended* guns to be made of. :p

God, y'all got crappy senses of humor... (Then again, the same has been said of me too--Grandpa was none too thrilled when as a wee one I booby-trapped his commode with Pop-its...)
LOL, God's Chosen Metal. You get two more unofficial likes. :)

So do you already have a Bolt Carrier Group picked out or are you like me and that is next payday's project. Palmetto's premium BCG group seems to work great in a couple of my projects. I measured it compared to several other companies (That cost a lot more) and the tolerances seem to be the same.

Side note: I have seen guys mount a magnet to a medium vice to mount it to things like washer and dryers just make sure you put a rag between them so no scratches (especially if you're married) and they also make a couple vacuum/suction cup style if you decide to keep building them but a solid bench mounted works best.

I have never used a vice to build a lower a heavy towel and a kitchen table works great but uppers I go the shop as you need a solid vice for the barrel nut. In fact I did a lower in the back of my van for a buddy using a cinder block and a 2x6 for a bench. As stated you before you "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.".

Good look with it let us know when you done and how you like it.

Won't help with uppers, but for lowers you might look into the Wheeler AR Armorer's Vise. Small and light enough to be portable, heavy enough to do assembly work with no bench required--I used mine to knock my lower together on a hotel-room desk. :) (I cheated, since I had no tools at all just started at the fully loaded Armorer Ultra Kit... a package capable of more than I'll probably ever be, marred only by the absence of screwdrivers and Allen wrenches for installing pistol grips--though I'm considering adding a carrier-key staker and a gas-block dimple tool as "Nice To Haves".)
Why won't the vise help with an upper?
I have a block to hold the receiver in a vise.

So do you already have a Bolt Carrier Group picked out or are you like me and that is next payday's project. Palmetto's premium BCG group seems to work great in a couple of my projects. I measured it compared to several other companies (That cost a lot more) and the tolerances seem to be the same.

Side note: I have seen guys mount a magnet to a medium vice to mount it to things like washer and dryers just make sure you put a rag between them so no scratches (especially if you're married) and they also make a couple vacuum/suction cup style if you decide to keep building them but a solid bench mounted works best.

I have never used a vice to build a lower a heavy towel and a kitchen table works great but uppers I go the shop as you need a solid vice for the barrel nut. In fact I did a lower in the back of my van for a buddy using a cinder block and a 2x6 for a bench. As stated you before you "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.".

Good look with it let us know when you done and how you like it.

Yep, BCG is next paydays treat! Not sure at this point what I'm going to put in but, I am thinking of one of those Nickel Boron BCG's. I'm holding off on any kind of vise right now as the wife and I are hoping to sell our current house this summer and move to something single level. One of the must haves is a work space for me!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top