Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Chee-to, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

LiveLeak.com - Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

A dash cam video from the officer who shot and killed Native American woodcarver John T. Williams was released Friday, showing Williams ambling slowly across the street in a crosswalk before the officer opens fire.

Although most of the action takes place off-screen, Williams is seen walking across the street in front of the patrol car in the video, dated Aug. 30.

The patrol car starts to pul More..l forward, then stops.

Officer Ian Burke can then be seen walking after Williams and shouting, "Hey, hey, hey! Put the knife down! Put the knife down!"

The officer walks off-screen and then five shots ring out in rapid succession, killing Williams.

Birk's badge was later pulled after a Seattle Police Department Review Board and Chief John Diaz reached a preliminary finding that Williams' shooting was not justified.

A judge ruled Thursday that the clip from officer Ian Birk's car could be released to the public after prosecutors had a chance to notify witnesses not to view the tape.

The tape's release comes after a public disclosure request from the Seattle Times.

An inquest into Williams' shooting death by Officer Ian Birk has been set to begin on Jan. 10. The facts of the case will be laid out in the open through the process. Less..

2. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

they fired him, eh?

seems about right.

i don't remember- what was the length of the woodcarver's knife, in the end?

3. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

I bet that guy had no idea, that he had a couple seconds to stop minding his own business, before he was dead!

4. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

you have got to be $*)#$&% kidding me he is whitling walking down the st and gets shot for it?

did you hear tword then end? who is the designated shooter lets walk in a line and if need be shoot him again WTF!!!!!!!!

5. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

I call BS on the police statement 'a confrontation lasting about a minute'.

From the time that Birk first shouted 'Hey!' to the last of the five rapid shots being fired took 7.27 seconds.

His first shot came just 2.6 seconds after his last word.

Plus the so-called 'felon' [Birk's word] was deaf in one ear and was not a native English speaker, being a First Nation member.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape meares Lighthouse Restoration fund

6. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

3.5 inches - legal to carry in WA.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

7. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Apparently carving wood is a capitol offense in Seattle. :angry:

8. carbuncle

carbuncle South Snoho Member

I was waiting for more evidence before I made a judgment on this one, but after the video release I'm of the opinion that the officer killed that poor guy for no reason. He was native, homeless and a known drunk, so what? Is having a rough go of life a capital offense? It isn't illegal to whittle or carve in public, nor it is illegal to possess or carry a knife. Why the officer even stopped the guy is a mystery, but shooting him really seems completely unnecessary: it's not like he was running around waving the knife at people, or he mugged someone and was running from the scene of the crime.

9. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

At least that guy is no longer a policeman.

10. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

oh snap that made me bust out laughing ahah

11. JohnWayne

JohnWayne USA Member

This will be an interesting case. I'd like to hear what witnesses have to say about the shooting. I don't think the officer shot this guy for "no reason." Now, I have no idea why the officer confronted the guy but for whatever reason he did. So, if after the initial contact, this guy turned and advanced on the officer, the officer may have legit grounds to stop him, for his own safety. The same any of us do.

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Ah but did he have legitimate reason to stop him in the first place? Is whittling/carving a reason to stop a citizen? Survey says no!

13. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

quoteing the officer who sot if you watch the vid
    i told him to drop the knif sevral times he turnd the knife was open
    he refuesed to drop it
    BANG 5 shots

14. Markjz

Markjz Longview, WA Member

and they think we the people having guns in dangerous.
    any one want to bet this murderer doesn't even see a day prison?

15. JohnWayne

JohnWayne USA Member

That is a question we don't know. Yet.

16. sports-shooter

sports-shooter Seattle East Side Member

Crime scene pictures taken by the police investigators, show the knife on the pavement, and it was folded close.

17. sports-shooter

sports-shooter Seattle East Side Member

After the shots were fired, it can be heard from the video that a woman asked the cop "What did you do that for?"

Obviously, even people who were there did not feel threatened by the carver, and that the shooting was definitely unprovoked.

18. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I was shocked at how quick he was to kill a man who by his own admission was not advancing or threatening the officer... he "refused" to drop his knife quickly enough and is dead for it.

"he turned toward me"
    disgusting IMHO.

19. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

#*()#*$&(#@*&$(@#*&$(#*W@&$#@$ beyond words.

JAIL TIME for the real criminal!

20. viperjody

viperjody Seattle, WA Active Member

I am saddened that all we do is sit behind our computers and type out opinions... This man "Ian Burk" needs life in prison. We must do something. This is OUTRAGEOUS..... We need to stage a protest or something... Anybody got any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.