JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

LiveLeak.com - Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

A dash cam video from the officer who shot and killed Native American woodcarver John T. Williams was released Friday, showing Williams ambling slowly across the street in a crosswalk before the officer opens fire.

Although most of the action takes place off-screen, Williams is seen walking across the street in front of the patrol car in the video, dated Aug. 30.

The patrol car starts to pul More..l forward, then stops.

Officer Ian Burke can then be seen walking after Williams and shouting, "Hey, hey, hey! Put the knife down! Put the knife down!"

The officer walks off-screen and then five shots ring out in rapid succession, killing Williams.

Birk's badge was later pulled after a Seattle Police Department Review Board and Chief John Diaz reached a preliminary finding that Williams' shooting was not justified.

A judge ruled Thursday that the clip from officer Ian Birk's car could be released to the public after prosecutors had a chance to notify witnesses not to view the tape.

The tape's release comes after a public disclosure request from the Seattle Times.

An inquest into Williams' shooting death by Officer Ian Birk has been set to begin on Jan. 10. The facts of the case will be laid out in the open through the process. Less..

they fired him, eh?

seems about right.

i don't remember- what was the length of the woodcarver's knife, in the end?

you have got to be $*)#$&% kidding me he is whitling walking down the st and gets shot for it?

did you hear tword then end? who is the designated shooter lets walk in a line and if need be shoot him again WTF!!!!!!!!

I call BS on the police statement 'a confrontation lasting about a minute'.

From the time that Birk first shouted 'Hey!' to the last of the five rapid shots being fired took 7.27 seconds.

His first shot came just 2.6 seconds after his last word.

Plus the so-called 'felon' [Birk's word] was deaf in one ear and was not a native English speaker, being a First Nation member.

tac
Supporter of the Cape meares Lighthouse Restoration fund

I was waiting for more evidence before I made a judgment on this one, but after the video release I'm of the opinion that the officer killed that poor guy for no reason. He was native, homeless and a known drunk, so what? Is having a rough go of life a capital offense? It isn't illegal to whittle or carve in public, nor it is illegal to possess or carry a knife. Why the officer even stopped the guy is a mystery, but shooting him really seems completely unnecessary: it's not like he was running around waving the knife at people, or he mugged someone and was running from the scene of the crime.

This will be an interesting case. I'd like to hear what witnesses have to say about the shooting. I don't think the officer shot this guy for "no reason." Now, I have no idea why the officer confronted the guy but for whatever reason he did. So, if after the initial contact, this guy turned and advanced on the officer, the officer may have legit grounds to stop him, for his own safety. The same any of us do.

This will be an interesting case. I'd like to hear what witnesses have to say about the shooting. I don't think the officer shot this guy for "no reason." Now, I have no idea why the officer confronted the guy but for whatever reason he did. So, if after the initial contact, this guy turned and advanced on the officer, the officer may have legit grounds to stop him, for his own safety. The same any of us do.

Ah but did he have legitimate reason to stop him in the first place? Is whittling/carving a reason to stop a citizen? Survey says no!

quoteing the officer who sot if you watch the vid
i told him to drop the knif sevral times he turnd the knife was open
he refuesed to drop it
BANG 5 shots

After the shots were fired, it can be heard from the video that a woman asked the cop "What did you do that for?"

Obviously, even people who were there did not feel threatened by the carver, and that the shooting was definitely unprovoked.

I call BS on the police statement 'a confrontation lasting about a minute'.

From the time that Birk first shouted 'Hey!' to the last of the five rapid shots being fired took 7.27 seconds.

His first shot came just 2.6 seconds after his last word.

I was shocked at how quick he was to kill a man who by his own admission was not advancing or threatening the officer... he "refused" to drop his knife quickly enough and is dead for it.

"he turned toward me"
disgusting IMHO.

#*()#*$&(#@*&$(@#*&$(#*W@&$#@$ beyond words.

JAIL TIME for the real criminal!

I am saddened that all we do is sit behind our computers and type out opinions... This man "Ian Burk" needs life in prison. We must do something. This is OUTRAGEOUS..... We need to stage a protest or something... Anybody got any ideas?

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads