JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Brand new Forster seating die is leaving a ring like impression on every bullet, is this normal and can it affect accuracy?

Click on the pic to make it bigger, its not the cannelures but just above them.
0704212134_forster seating die mark.jpg

Try a Lee die, they make the best stuff in the world.

Lol, you might have to customize it with JB Weld or the like and or contact Forster to see if they have stems with a more suitable profile.

or contact Forster to see if they have stems with a more suitable profile.
$34 + some of my unprimed cases and bullets for a custom fit seating stem.

I guess there are many bullet profiles out there but.... kinda lame a common Nosler Partition isnt in their generic design..

I guess now, as along as it doesn't affect accuracy?

That design bullet should work with the standard stem. Those marks are pretty severe. Seems something else is going on. Is the load heavily compressed? How are you sizing the necks before seating?

Agree that it is going to effect accuracy... might be ok for hunting at 100-200yds, but I would think 400-600 would be a problem. Go ahead and shoot them at 100yds, if you get a 3" group, ya got trouble.

Well this is discouraging to read.
Ill have to contact Forster.... So frustrating to "upgrade" to this seating die only to waste my time loading with it.

Ill get velocity data from these today for my load development so not all is lost but who knows what I will get with group size.

I shoulda bought the RCBS match grade seater, it had a micrometer too. But I liked the way Forsters holds the entire case for concentricity.

Those marks are pretty severe. Seems something else is going on. Is the load heavily compressed?
I agree. Bullets should typically seat with little to no resistance and by the look of those rings it appears you are really putting some serious pressure on them.

And item # 2 - are those bullets fully seated in the cases in the pic ?

I agree. Bullets should typically seat with little to no resistance and by the look of those rings it appears you are really putting some serious pressure on them.

And item # 2 - are those bullets fully seated in the cases in the pic ?
Bullets are fully seated, note im not using the cannelures or crimping for my loads. I didnt notice any excessive pressure seating them compared to my other seating die.

Bullets are fully seated, note im not using the cannelures or crimping for my loads. I didnt notice any excessive pressure seating them compared to my other seating die.
Are these boat tail bullets? Isn't that all everyone uses anymore? Except some of us shooting antiques with long leads maybe. I notice more resistance initially to seat a flat base bullet. But it doesn't feel like it should be enough to leave a ring like that. Or maybe a little more with the deburring tool on the inside?

Take the insert out and taper it with a drill bit in a press, I had to do this for the FTX hornady's in 357. shouldn't take much to bust the edge off to better fit the curve. I would also open up the neck just a tad to reduce the tension, it may just be too much initially when inserting the bullet. I've had to modify a few dies when issues like this come up, even had to add a couple gas checks as spacers to get enough adjustment for seating 7.62x39 SST's.

I use the Redding Competition Seater for several cartridges and it works fine (no heavy marks). (EDIT: just saw you're using Forster. Should still be good. ). I would double-check that you got the standard seating stem, not the VLD stem. I'd also explore if there are any aspects of your neck sizing that might be increasing pressure when you seat. Do you know your neck tension? Are the inside of the neck mouths chamfered?

I use the Redding Competition Seater for several cartridges and it works fine (no heavy marks). (EDIT: just saw you're using Forster. Should still be good. ). I would double-check that you got the standard seating stem, not the VLD stem. I'd also explore if there are any aspects of your neck sizing that might be increasing pressure when you seat. Do you know your neck tension? Are the inside of the neck mouths chamfered?
I dont know my neck tension, or even how to measure that?
These are brand new cases, never fired. Came ready to load, even the mouth are chamfered nicely. I did measure them and the all weighed the same and same length... Everythings consistent with them.

I dont know my neck tension, or even how to measure that?
Quick way: if you have some cases that haven't been loaded yet, measure the outside diameter of the neck. Then do the same for some loaded cases. The difference is the neck tension.

Target shooters often want 0.001-0.002. A common range for hunting loads is about 0.003-0.005. Much more than 0.005 will increase seating pressure quickly.

Did the package/box the cases came in specifically indicate they were 'ready to load' ?

Typically this is not the case and they have to sized & prepped prior to loading.
:s0101:

Big YEP, this is why a certain tool comes in handy........even after loading. Definitely lets ya know if you're doing it wrong and is almost a must with semi/full auto.

Did the package/box the cases came in specifically indicate they were 'ready to load' ?

Typically this is not the case and they have to sized & prepped prior to loading.
Noslers website video i think said so, they came chamfered properly I measured their case headspace and it was in spec, the neck inside diameter would not accept a bullet by hand.... So I assumed all was good. ...there was a case that had a dent in it that I rejected, I ran that thru the size die to measure and it actually pushed the shoulder back even farther from my chamber headspace..... So I decided I didnt need to resize these cases....
Seating pressure was the same as my other seating die.... I didnt suspect any need to resize them.

It might help to list some of your particulars (caliber/cartridge, bullet spec, COAL, die model, etc.). Maybe someone is running and loading something similar and could replicate (or not) your issue.

It might help to list some of your particulars (caliber/cartridge, bullet spec, COAL, die model, etc.). Maybe someone is running and loading something similar and could replicate (or not) your issue.
read the thread...........25-06, nosler partition, etc. etc.

The manufacturer may have simply left them with relatively tight necks. You can measure that and then size a handful yourself before loading and see whether that solves the problem. If it does, it was just some tight necks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top