JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Break out your magnifier and examine the interior finish on the seater plug. If it is rough, it may have missed a polishing stage at the factory. Call or email and speak with a real person. It may be resolved to your satisfaction very quickly.

Those marks are pretty severe.

by the look of those rings it appears you are really putting some serious pressure on them.
^^These^^ It's not that unusual for a seating stem to impart a kind of ghost mark where it contacted the bullet jacket. Only a mark, not an indentation. But those shown in the pictures above, that's an actual impression into the bullet. A deformity in the bullet. Which implies excessive pressure.

I didnt notice any excessive pressure seating them compared to my other seating die.
I've read those words, but it's kinda hard to understand how that ring in the bullet could've been made without taking something more than the ordinary amount of force. If the inside of the case mouth doesn't have adequate chamfer, this could be a cause. During the seating process, the bullet stops against the edge of the mouth, then force from seating overrides the resistance of the sharp edge. When this is done, the operator of the press usually feels a bump but the bullet keeps on seating. The other thing that would cause that kind of requirement for extra force might be the resistance of the case mouth on the sidewall of the bullet, called the "pull" or more simply put, the friction. As new, unfired cases, it might be that the necks are undersized.

The design of the Nosler partition bullet may have something to do with it. Forward of the partition, the jacket wall isn't all that thick. That's part of the design, to get the nose to mushroom while retaining concentrated mass toward the base. This falls into the category of "possible contributing factor."

A sharper edge on the face of the seating stem may tend to enhance making an indentation into the bullet but I don't think it's the precipitating cause.

Break out your magnifier and examine the interior finish on the seater plug. If it is rough, it may have missed a polishing stage at the factory. Call or email and speak with a real person. It may be resolved to your satisfaction very quickly.
I took it apart, and not seeing anything that seems wrong to me... at the moment. Im going to explore the idea of excessive neck tension before I decide anything....

I've read those words, but it's kinda hard to understand how that ring in the bullet could've been made without taking something more than the ordinary amount of force. If the inside of the case mouth doesn't have adequate chamfer, this could be a cause. During the seating process, the bullet stops against the edge of the mouth, then force from seating overrides the resistance of the sharp edge. When this is done, the operator of the press usually feels a bump but the bullet keeps on seating. The other thing that would cause that kind of requirement for extra force might be the resistance of the case mouth on the sidewall of the bullet, called the "pull" or more simply put, the friction. As new, unfired cases, it might be that the necks are undersized.
Im going to explore this a little bit before I reload another set with this die again. I might seat with my old die (Redding) and compare. I also now as of today, have some fireformed Nosler brass that was in the picture I posted to resize and see... maybe the new Nosler brass was just too tight or thick neck or something. I dont know yet...

My guess it's a VLD stem from the look of the imprint on the bullet. The hunting Bullets I'm guessing are a more rounded ogive. You can probably get another stem or use some lapping compound and a few Bullets to get the right fit.

The Forster is a good die. I've had those marks on many bullets. I doubt they'll have much negative effect, but it'd be good to shoot a few at longer ranges to find out.

And as mentioned, it does look like there's a significant amount of pressure being put on the bullet to seat it.

I also just double checked Noslers website again, the brass I bought is advertised as ready to reload.
1625534271889.png

My guess it's a VLD stem from the look of the imprint on the bullet. The hunting Bullets I'm guessing are a more rounded ogive. You can probably get another stem or use some lapping compound and a few Bullets to get the right fit.

The Forster is a good die. I've had those marks on many bullets. I doubt they'll have much negative effect, but it'd be good to shoot a few at longer ranges to find out.

And as mentioned, it does look like there's a significant amount of pressure being put on the bullet to seat it.
Digging into their website, Forster actually addresses this very topic and identifies that there are too many different types of bullet profiles as the cause of possible indentations from the stem.

I get it..... but do find this a little surprising on a common, very popular, hunting bullet projectile. They claim it is "not necessarily" going to impact accuracy.... Looking at their section view it seems they could easily put just a bit more contact surface on the ogive to spread the pressure point out over many different profiles doesn't have to be perfect... just my laymans guess anyways. In the end of their troubleshooting section on this, they suggest I could "order" a custom stem on bullets I send in...

I get it now.... the solution anyways. $

Bullet Contact Diagram

but it's kinda hard to understand how that ring in the bullet could've been made without taking something more than the ordinary amount of force. If the inside of the case mouth doesn't have adequate chamfer, this could be a cause.
I agree and would think the force needed to create that deep of a ring might also collapse and bulge the neck of the case as well. I have had this happen in the past when roll crimping .30-30 and a case slightly on the 'long side' got a little more pressure than necessary and bulged the neck or shoulder of the case.

Regarding the force, there wasnt anything different force wise than when Ive use my other (Redding) seating die that doesnt leave a mark.

Forster addresses this issue on their website, and suggests the solution is to custom order a seating stem machined to some actual bullets you send in to them... $34

My question is, how many other brand seating dies have this "custom" issue?

No idea but I have loaded many 1000s of SP, RN and lead bullets as well with the stock stems and other than maybe a light 'shadow' ring on the bullet from the stem I have never experienced anything like you have!
after reading their website, they have a dedicated article to this very subject (flag 1) and looking at their design sketch they only contact the bullet at a specific point...
Of course they suggest ordering a custom stem as a solution (flag2).
I guess the question is, if its worth paying them more for a custom seating stem? I don't know, I do know I have another totally different bullet I want to also develop a reload with and not keen on the idea of having to custom order different stems for each one.

I just dont have any experience to know if other concentric "match" seating dies have this issue or if its even a concern? (Ive heard that cannelures do not influence accuracy so...)

forster.jpg

I think I would start by resizing, trimming and chamferring a few of those cases and seeing how the bullets seat in them.

Make sure you chamfer the inside of the case mouth well!
thats what Im thinking now that I have some that are fireformed I can test the neck tenstion idea from sizing.. I think. Load one if it leaves a mark then I'll go back to my old seating die and probably order the RCBS matchmaster one to replace the Forster seating die.

My question is, how many other brand seating dies have this "custom" issue?
I use the Redding Competition Seaters and have a standard and VLD stem for each. Even so, I've had to use some polishing compound on a bullet from time to time and grind it in the stem a bit to improve the fit. There are a wide variety of bullet profiles out there.

I use the Redding Competition Seaters and have a standard and VLD stem for each. Even so, I've had to use some polishing compound on a bullet from time to time and grind it in the stem a bit to improve the fit. There are a wide variety of bullet profiles out there.
this tells me that Forster is not alone in the huge variety of bullet profiles, thus its not a design issue but probably worth buying a custom seating stem....

No idea but I have loaded many 1000s of SP, RN and lead bullets as well with the stock stems and other than maybe a light 'shadow' ring on the bullet from the stem I have never experienced anything like you have!
Amen. I don't think it's normal that you should require a seating stem with the exact concavity to match the ogive of the bullet.

In my own case, I would've needed dozens of different stems over the years were this a requirement for good results.

thats what Im thinking now that I have some that are fireformed I can test the neck tenstion idea from sizing.. I think. Load one if it leaves a mark then I'll go back to my old seating die and probably order the RCBS matchmaster one to replace the Forster seating die.
I can understand your frustration. You think you're at a point where you can go ahead and load up some ammo and something else creeps up on you. I've been there many many times. The learning process never ends it seems in the arena of reloading, and especially reloading for long range accuracy.

I think the bullet seating die is fine. I've got a couple different stems for the many bullet seating dies I have as well. IMO, $14 is a small fee for a stem that will give you a better fit. You may still want to lap it if necessary.

My guess is the Forster seating die is probably set up for the sleeker Bullets since most hunters don't go for as precision of a set up as you've purchased. The hunting style generally have a more blunt ogive compared to the slimmer profile of the match grade Bullets.

Hell, I even just had RCBS send me a couple different seating stems for a 9mm seating die that was flattening out the tips of some 165gr Bullets I'm loading. They sent me one for the pointier profile as well as one for flat nosed Bullets. Hopefully I'm covered for now with those pills.

Amen. I don't think it's normal that you should require a seating stem with the exact concavity to match the ogive of the bullet.

In my own case, I would've needed dozens of different stems over the years were this a requirement for good results.
Exact, maybe not but there can be a huge difference between the profile of a match grade bullet and a hunting style.

Add a little extra force necessary to seat, and marks will start to show up.

I can understand your frustration. You think you're at a point where you can go ahead and load up some ammo and something else creeps up on you. I've been there many many times. The learning process never ends it seems in the arena of reloading, and especially reloading for long range accuracy.

I think the bullet seating die is fine. I've got a couple different stems for the many bullet seating dies I have as well. IMO, $14 is a small fee for a stem that will give you a better fit. You may still want to lap it if necessary.

My guess is the Forster seating die is probably set up for the sleeker Bullets since most hunters don't go for as precision of a set up as you've purchased. The hunting style generally have a more blunt ogive compared to the slimmer profile of the match grade Bullets.

Hell, I even just had RCBS send me a couple different seating stems for a 9mm seating die that was flattening out the tips of some 165gr Bullets I'm loading. They sent me one for the pointier profile as well as one for flat nosed Bullets. Hopefully I'm covered for now with those pills.
I wont give up on the new Forster die just yet, a nod to @BigGame above indicates this isnt a design issue and a specific seating stem is not uncommon. I wouldnt mind buying one if thats what it takes.

my new loads shot fine today despite the new brass and new lot of powder I worked up to the velocities Im hoping for without any signs of pressure. My groupings werent that great today but it was a very off day for me in the direct sun/heat and trying to keep the barrel cool, and the flies outdoors were bothersome. I think I can safely do another velocity ladder test even finer tuned around the velocities I want next, and pick a day when my shooting game is on to see groupings. I'll get there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top