Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Scam and Telemarketing Calls

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WAYNO, Feb 3, 2016.

1. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Am I the only one who is lucky enough to receive these calls, 24 hours a day?

So I wont be accused of profiling, I'll just say many of these callers coincidentally have the same accent as you'd expect to hear from the middle east. But they work for the IRS, reminding me that if I send them a money order immediately for my tax error, I may not be prosecuted. Or they notice I have a problem with my computer and I should log in to their website for correction.

All day long, and sometimes in the middle of the night.

You can place your cell phone on the do not call list, and that's about 90% effective, but there's no protection for land lines.

I only share my land line number with businesses, and I do need to keep a land line, otherwise I'd pull the plug on what's left of Ma Bell.

Signed,
    Frustrated in Oregon City.

WAYNO.

2. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Drives me crazy. Especially "Card Services"

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You're not the only one. We're getting the same calls on landline and cell phones. Our general rule is we never answer a call for a number we don't recognize. We're on all of the do not call lists, but it doesn't stop them.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Wow, a harassment call (sales call) is so rare for us, knocking wood, I can't remember the last one! We are on all the lists also, and don't have a LL.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. lucifermonkey

lucifermonkey Portland, OR Well-Known Member

The land line call list is probably so small by now that they have you on speed dial.
    One guy working part-time can probably call the entire list in an hour, lol.
    ;)

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

get a small air horn. that will keep at least the same person from calling back.:s0087::s0087::s0087:

Caveman Jim likes this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Yep, I'll get mine out of the boat and bring it inside for the next unlucky SOB that calls trying to force me into doing something against my will....:p:Do_O

8. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

My cell phone is on a no call list, my land line is for the computer and Fax. If I don't want someone calling me I give them my line line.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  9. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Unfortunately that does not work. The telephone system is designed to limit high frequency noises and loud sounds to prevent cross talk. Whistle and air horn blasts are not loud on the other end.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  10. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

What I notice they do here is spoof numbers with local area code and even prefixes so you think it local and its some guy in Jamaica. I am on the do not call and I have blocking on all my lines but still ever week I get a few. I don't answer if I don't know it, I (hypothetically) would answer Blank Blank Police Department, of one that doesn't exist was fun to hear the panic in their voices, then a law buddy told me that could be seen as impersonation so glad I didnt ever do that ;)

11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

And in this day and age they are not being caught and convicted because the GOV does not think it is worth conviction unless millions of $$$$$ are involved, pizz on the peons (sheep)....

DuneHopper, WAYNO and Sgt Nambu like this.
  12. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Phone scams like these are against the law, yet hey persist. Perhaps an executive order by that arrogant pantload in the whitehouse, imposing more stringent regulations and fees on telephone users everywhere, would convince those criminals stop doing criminal things?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    WAYNO, Sgt Nambu and Stomper like this.
  13. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

donotcall.gov
    Haven't gotten any except two the last week that were for "Marriott rewards" and I wasn't too happy.

Stomper likes this.
  14. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Thanks for that link. After I dealt with LegalZoom and Godaddy, my phone blows up with offers for credit and business loans. The jackazzes calling about my Toyota warranty running out soon have seemed to taper off tho.

15. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have yet to have these calls on my cell phone, but then again I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize.

I haven't had a land line since ai moved out of my parents home/

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  16. Foreverlost

Foreverlost South of LesbianVille, OR. Active Member

#1 on the list: Do Not Call has never worked, don't waste your time. The phone companies are making a bundle of money because of scams, etc.

Those that make the scam and harassing phone calls have to make thousands of calls per day in order to find a sucker. That cost $$, no way around it.

Then toss in the fact many are paying extra $$$ for caller ID & call blocking in an attempt to avoid those calls. Phone companies love it. Money flooding in, both directions.

I will no longer pay extra for caller ID or call block. Land line is just for local calls now....most of the time a phone is "not" connected. Nice not to hear it ring or having to listen to BS on the answering machine.

Use a smart phone with a free call blocker. Only numbers on the contact list are allowed to ring. End of BS!

Just to drive in a point to honest business, upon leaving the dentist office a while back I told the office my reasons they "the dentist office" will not be able to contact me via phone. I will not give them my cell phone number. From now on, send a post card!! Or if they are smart, contact their "yuk" politicians and complain about scams, etc.

Foreverlost,

17. WWShooter

WWShooter Member

I have a business land line that I really can't afford not to answer. Recently, I got one of the calls from "Microsoft tech support."

I knew it was a scam, but decided I'd have a little fun. I kept the guy on the phone for about 15 minutes while he got more and more excited about reeling in a fish. When I finally had enough, I told him "You're a thief. I figured I'd use up time you'd spend trying to steal someone else's money."

Click.

It was, all in all, pretty satisfying.

WAYNO, Mikej, Sgt Nambu and 1 other person like this.
  18. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar Tigard, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

19. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Actually the do not call list works for landlines too

20. WWShooter

WWShooter Member

My cell and both landlines are on the list. Worked at first, not so much for the last couple of years.

WAYNO likes this.