JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FWIW My most recent SBR, submitted Oct 27, approved Nov 25.

On Wednesday's they take down the eFile system for like 12 hours specifically "to allow agents unrestricted access to the efile system to process". Basically so they can do their thing without outside users slowing the system down. This also means approvals are almost always on Wednesday's. Looking back all of my efiles came back on Wednesdays. You'll receive an email with the approved paperwork attached as a PDF hours before the system goes back online. My approval came about 9:40am.

I'm missing something here. Why are so many interested in serializing their 80% lowers and getting on a list? The cost of a new, stripped lower seems negligible in the scheme of things.

I'm missing something here. Why are so many interested in serializing their 80% lowers and getting on a list? The cost of a new, stripped lower seems negligible in the scheme of things.

I don't disagree, but it also depends on your original purpose of the 80% lower. If you just wanted to build one to learn the process and be involved in it, and not necessarily to keep it off the books... Well maybe.

I wouldn't myself do it with an 80% lower. I've always done it with either fully manufactured guns or serialized, purchased lowers. But some times needs change, maybe you have a ton of 80% lowers and offering one up for a serial # isn't a big deal and saves buying another lower. I'd imagine a few are just people who planned on a particular build and didn't realize the engraving/serial requirements until already in the process.

Finger prints and cover letter went out today in the mail. Took wireds advice threw it in a envelope in the mail box. Now lets see how long it takes

People like to build things themselves. Keeps them out of the bars and away from strange women.

That has got to be the absolute worst designed website in the world. Name ONE e-commerce website that goes down once a week to process orders.

Clearly you haven't used the FAFSA website yet. FAFSA is the federal student financial aid/student loan website. Makes the ATF website look professional. And with the FAFSA website you can push submit at the end of your application and about 50% of the time the next page times out and you have to start all over. 80% of the time after you login it takes you to a "page cannot be displayed" error but if you refresh two or three times then it will eventually load but if you get impatient and click refresh more than 5 times it locks you out saying you have been idle too long.

I've not tried to do one with paper forms, only efile. But its pretty straightforward.

1. DO NOT ASSEMBLE UNTIL APPROVED
2. Register at eforms.atf.gov
3. Form to efile is 5320.1 or as commonly referred "Form 1" To Manufacture NFA Item
4. If using an already serialized lower, fill out form with that as the serial, everything else is pretty self-explanatory. However most resources state you cannot use "multi" for caliber. I know some people have successfully done so and I know others who have had it rejected for it.
5. You will need to upload a drivers license/passport type photo of yourself as part of the process. Respectable quality cellphone photo in front of a blank white wall is sufficient.
6. After filling in form and submitting, you'll have 10 days to submit 2 copies of the FBI fingerprint cards. You can use a local PD or such if they are doing them (many are not due to Covid) however there is no requirement to be done by LE. I order them off of Amazon along with a little fingerprint inkpad and sign my own name as the person taking them (don't lie here as if caught could be serious trouble, they seem not to care about doing them yourself). If you Google ATF fingerprint cards there is a link that is the first or second item in the search results that lists which boxes must be populated on the fingerprint cards. Many do but some are not relevant and can be left blank. You'll then mail these to ATF with a cover sheet that is part of the form you finalized.
7. Wait. Based on nfatracker.com most Form 1's are sitting between 24 and 32 days lately. I've seen people say as fast as 17 days and there is always the occasional outlier in the 900 day range. Not sure what they could do to stretch it out that long but don't panic until the 60 day mark or so. You can log into your account at eforms.atf.gov and check the status, and check for alerts. Be patient the site is pretty slow and looks like a 5 year old designed it in 1993.
What NFA items require you to get approval from local police chief/sheriff?

I also submitted on November 27 and got approved on the 17th of December. I over thought the process for my first time now looking back I wonder why I never did it earlier.

That might well be true now. I have not acquired any new NFA items since the end of 2017...
Back in 2017, I ordered my Thompson SBR in early February, my FFL e-filed for my NFA approval in early July, and by late December, I got a very real stamp on my Form 4.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top