JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey yall, im sure this has been covered in the past many times. But im going to ask again.
Process of sbr'ing an ar pistol.
Im considering on sbring my pistol. Currently a 10in with the sba4 brace on it.
What is this process like?
What specific forms should I file?

I've not tried to do one with paper forms, only efile. But its pretty straightforward.

1. DO NOT ASSEMBLE UNTIL APPROVED
2. Register at eforms.atf.gov
3. Form to efile is 5320.1 or as commonly referred "Form 1" To Manufacture NFA Item
4. If using an already serialized lower, fill out form with that as the serial, everything else is pretty self-explanatory. However most resources state you cannot use "multi" for caliber. I know some people have successfully done so and I know others who have had it rejected for it.
5. You will need to upload a drivers license/passport type photo of yourself as part of the process. Respectable quality cellphone photo in front of a blank white wall is sufficient.
6. After filling in form and submitting, you'll have 10 days to submit 2 copies of the FBI fingerprint cards. You can use a local PD or such if they are doing them (many are not due to Covid) however there is no requirement to be done by LE. I order them off of Amazon along with a little fingerprint inkpad and sign my own name as the person taking them (don't lie here as if caught could be serious trouble, they seem not to care about doing them yourself). If you Google ATF fingerprint cards there is a link that is the first or second item in the search results that lists which boxes must be populated on the fingerprint cards. Many do but some are not relevant and can be left blank. You'll then mail these to ATF with a cover sheet that is part of the form you finalized.
7. Wait. Based on nfatracker.com most Form 1's are sitting between 24 and 32 days lately. I've seen people say as fast as 17 days and there is always the occasional outlier in the 900 day range. Not sure what they could do to stretch it out that long but don't panic until the 60 day mark or so. You can log into your account at eforms.atf.gov and check the status, and check for alerts. Be patient the site is pretty slow and looks like a 5 year old designed it in 1993.

What if you have your own milled lower w/o a serial number? Do you have to serialize it yourself?
Forms 1 do require a serial number to be entered, so you'll need to get that engraved on built lowers. Below is a snippet from the form.
serial.PNG

I've not tried to do one with paper forms, only efile. But its pretty straightforward.

3. Form to efile is 5320.1 or as commonly referred "Form 1" To Manufacture NFA Item
4. If using an already serialized lower, fill out form with that as the serial, everything else is pretty self-explanatory. However most resources state you cannot use "multi" for caliber. I know some people have successfully done so and I know others who have had it rejected for it.
5. You will need to upload a drivers license/passport type photo of yourself as part of the process. Respectable quality cellphone photo in front of a blank white wall is sufficient.
6. After filling in form and submitting, you'll have 10 days to submit 2 copies of the FBI fingerprint cards. You can use a local PD or such if they are doing them (many are not due to Covid) however there is no requirement to be done by LE. I order them off of Amazon along with a little fingerprint inkpad and sign my own name as the person taking them (don't lie here as if caught could be serious trouble, they seem not to care about doing them yourself). If you Google ATF fingerprint cards there is a link that is the first or second item in the search results that lists which boxes must be populated on the fingerprint cards. Many do but some are not relevant and can be left blank. You'll then mail these to ATF with a cover sheet that is part of the form you finalized.
7. Wait. Based on nfatracker.com most Form 1's are sitting between 24 and 32 days lately. I've seen people say as fast as 17 days and there is always the occasional outlier in the 900 day range. Not sure what they could do to stretch it out that long but don't panic until the 60 day mark or so. You can log into your account at eforms.atf.gov and check the status, and check for alerts. Be patient the site is pretty slow and looks like a 5 year old designed it in 1993.

I've done 3 SBR's in the past 90 or so days. First came back in 8 days. Second in 14 days and third in 19 days.

And to the OP, I'm in Renton as well. For engraving Hyperion Precision in Kent right off of West Valley in that business park at 196th, does great work, is relatively cheap ($35 for SBR engraving) and if you contact him beforehand to find out when he is in, he usually does it right on the spot while you wait. He put it in the laser engraver, and it was done almost as fast as it took him to run the payment.

What if you have your own milled lower w/o a serial number? Do you have to serialize it yourself?
Forms 1 do require a serial number to be entered, so you'll need to get that engraved on built lowers. Below is a snippet from the form.
View attachment 776706
post deleted
Reason: I lacked reading comprehension. i.e., there's a difference between an SBR and an AR-pattern pistol

So, a "ghost gun" assembled from an 80% lower isn't really a ghost gun after all, by my read of this.
If someone plans to transfer an 80% to another individual or build an NFA item from an 80%, it will require engravings. If someone builds an 80%, keeps it to themselves and uses it as a pistol or rifle, it doesn't need a serial.

Once government/ATF documents are involved, the 80% will require manufacture and serial number engravings. Some will realize that SBRing/Form 1ing an 80% defeats the purpose of the 80% lower.

If someone plans to transfer an 80% to another individual or build an NFA item from an 80%, it will require engravings. If someone builds an 80%, keeps it to themselves and uses it as a pistol or rifle, it doesn't need a serial.

Once government/ATF documents are involved, the 80% will require manufacture and serial number engravings. Some will realize that SBRing/Form 1ing an 80% defeats the purpose of the 80% lower.
Yes, it defeats the point of an 80%. My applications are actually just that. two 80% lowers being turned into SBR.

And to the OP, I'm in Renton as well. For engraving Hyperion Precision in Kent right off of West Valley in that business park at 196th, does great work, is relatively cheap ($35 for SBR engraving) and if you contact him beforehand to find out when he is in, he usually does it right on the spot while you wait. He put it in the laser engraver, and it was done almost as fast as it took him to run the payment.
Hyperion does quality work and he's pretty quick to, had a glock frame stipple job done by him a while back.

If your lower that you're filling says multi caliber do you just choose one for the form? Like 556/223 even though the lower isn't designated as such? Thanks

If someone builds an 80%, keeps it to themselves and uses it as a pistol or rifle, it doesn't need a serial.
That was the impression that I was originally under.
So long as I myself complete the firearm from an 80% lower, I don't build an NFA item (SBR, etc.), and I never transfer it, then it's all cool.

Some will realize that SBRing/Form 1ing an 80% defeats the purpose of the 80% lower.
This is what I was hoping to avoid.

Last Edited:
It does require a legit Manufacture name, City and State. Model name and serial number can be made up.

Just to make sure I have this correct:
  • I'm using an Aero Precision lowed w/ manufacturer SN
  • I provide the Make, model and SN already engraved

Will I need to get anything engraved on the receiver to denote it's a SBR?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top