Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SBR in WA

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by 68w, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 68w

68w Bonney Lake Active Member

Hey so I've been searching and trying to find info on SBR's in WA. I know I can't just buy a 10" upper and put it on my lower, but what if I bought a preban lower? does that make any difference? would I just have to find a lower made before 94? Do you have to get a tax stamp to own a preban firearm?

2. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

You're mixing NFA, the '94 assault weapons ban and WA law into one confused lump.

Short answer, WA does not allow SBRs or MGs per state law, you want a short AR, build a pistol.

If you lived in a state that allowed them, you would have to submit paperwork and pay a tax to the ATF.

3. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

You have to get a tax stamp no matter what, that's a federal thing, not a WA thing. Anyway... I didn't know you could get an SBR in WA at all regardless of when the lower was made.

4. 68w

68w Bonney Lake Active Member

got it. well that sucks, thanks for that info, all these stupid laws in our state are hard to keep track of

5. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

If you want a pretty short and very handy rifle try a 14.5" pencil profile barrel with a pinned flash hider to make it the legal 16". The 1.5" BattleComp is a pretty sweet muzzle device on the market right now and most people that do 14.5" pinned barrels offer it as an option.

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

SBR is currently not legal in WA.

IF you had a registered SBR prior to 1994 you were grandfathered in. So there are some legal SBR's in WA. They are ONLY grandfathered in for the original owner (and I would assume a heir).