JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just got this back from a staffer of Sen Beyer,

Hello "Dozer99", (no I didn't use my screen name!)

Thank you for contacting Senator Beyer to express your concerns about the potential impact of SB 978 on older firearms that do not have serial numbers. We have heard from several other groups and individuals about this issue and I believe that this will be included in the further amendments to the bill to be considered in the Senate Rules Committee. While Senator Beyer does not serve on the Rules Committee he is following this bill closely and will keep your concerns in mind should the bill come to the floor for a vote.

Thank you,
This could be a concern as Sen. Beyer is likely open to voting yes on this with amendments. Sen. Roblan may be in the same boat. I think we should put a laser focus on Sen. Roblan and hope he doesn't cave to a few amendments and let this get out of committee. We need to hit up Sen. Roblan with other sections of the bill we don't like and with concerns that wouldn't be easy to amend. Here is my letter to Sen. Roblan regarding the concealed carry prohibitions in public buildings:

Senator Roblan, I would like to start off by saying that I understand you share some of the same concerns about this bill as I do, but my concerns may extend beyond yours so I wanted to share them with you.

The proposed law in SB 978-5 allowing local authorities to decide where we can or can't defend ourselves is dangerous and unnecessary. We have preemption law in this State for a good reason. It will be extremely difficult at best, to keep track of where we can or can't legally protect ourselves. While attempting to comply with this patchwork of places where we can and can't legally carry, many honest folks will be caught up in felony crimes for unknowingly possessing a firearm in newly prohibited or poorly marked places.

The law states that public buildings and adjacent grounds must be marked with "a sign", "visible to the public" and "identifying all locations" where concealed carry is prohibited. Is one sign going to be sufficient to warn people in buildings with multiple entrances? Will the sign be visible to people from a place where they haven't already committed a felony. If the entire grounds are excluded is the sign going to be placed at the border of the property so people don't unknowingly walk on the sidewalk (owned by public building entity) and violate the law. There are so many situations that couldn't possibly be addressed with "a sign" that this law is essentially a felony trap.

Those who conceal carry will have to leave their firearms in their vehicles much more often and that will lead to more theft of stowed firearms, false alarm calls to police when bystanders see people stowing or un-stowing their firearms. It could lead to more accidental discharges as people will likely be removing and re-holstering their firearm numerous times a day.

Worst of all it will lead to more soft targets and victims of crime including women and elderly who may in some cases be more dependent on concealed carry to defend themselves. People who work in public buildings and grounds at night will be especially vulnerable. The criminals will find that these new gun free public spaces are a variable buffet of victims.

I saw nothing that would prevent these regulations from applying to parks, campgrounds and State and County forest areas if buildings are on these grounds, publicly owned stadiums, public owned parking lots, private buildings that house public agencies, etc. The list could go on and on.

It will be a nightmare for those who conceal carry if this bill passes as written and for what?

Concealed Carry permit holders are some of the most vetted and safest citizens in the State.
Persons carrying with a concealed carry license are not a problem in need of a solution.
These regulations will not prevent any crimes but will certainly increase crime by leaving formerly protected Oregonians unprotected, caught up in felony traps and creating new opportunities for criminals.

I understand you got the message regarding my opposition to the criminalization of pre-1968 firearms but this entire bill is awful and I don't believe any amount of amendments can fix this bill.

Thank you for taking note of my concerns with this terribly destructive bill. I hope you will maintain a strong resolve and hold to voting no on SB 978-5.

Last Edited:
I sent this one to Sen. Beyer this morning. Could somebody that hasn't sent a letter to Sen. Roblan recently copy and paste this and send it to him. I am going to wear out my welcome over there:

A small minority in this State seems to think that being one, two or three years younger than 21 years of age is reason to deny a person's civil and constitutional rights. Fortunately a vast majority about 80% based on a currently running poll being conducted by the Oregonian, support my belief that we should not discriminate against these folks: What do you think about age limits for buying guns in Oregon?

Oregon has been a leader in preventing discrimination and we need to protect that tradition. It's abhorrent to think that in 2019 we are actually on the precipice of creating a law allowing discrimination to occur with legal protection from the State. What is even more despicable is that we are also discussing letting the perpetrators of recent violations of our strong anti-discrimination laws off the hook for past abuses. The corporations should not be dictating to us, that we weaken our anti-discrimination laws so they can pander to a small minority.

I implore you to vote no on this highly discriminatory bill SB 978-5.

Thank you!

Omnibus Anti-Gun Bill Sent To Rules Committee

It's official. SB 978, the omnibus anti-gun bill, has been referred to the Senate Rules Committee.

This means the fate of this malicious attack is in the hands of one Democrat Senator, Arnie Roblan.

Roblan has stated that he does not support the bill, but he will be pressured by other Democrats to vote it out of committee. We have to do everything we can to counteract that pressure and urge him to vote NO and keep hundreds of thousands of Oregonians from becoming felons overnight.

Please contact Roblan and strongly urge him to join the Republicans on the Rules Committee and vote NO on SB 978.

Roblan's phone 503-986-1705

Roblan's email [email protected]

Please use the points below to explain how dangerous SB 978 is.

SB 978 would create a patchwork of back alley gun control laws and eliminate Oregon's pre-emption statute.

SB 978 would make you a felon if you traveled anywhere near any public building that chose to prohibit firearms, even if you had a concealed handgun license.

It would allow school districts, colleges and universities to make up policies concerning firearms in buildings they did not even own.

It would make traveling to and from an airport with a firearm, even with a concealed handgun license, a felony.

It would mandate that guns be locked up (already declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court) and allow you to be charged with a crime even if they were locked up and stolen.

It would make possession of many firearms made before 1968 a felony.

It would make possession of any gun you made yourself a felony. There is no provision for adding a serial number to a firearm you made yourself.

It would eliminate or severely restrict youth firearms programs.

It would require that all firearms "transferred" be equipped with cable or trigger locks and hold you responsible for crimes committed with any firearm that you transferred without such locks.

It would ban possession of "unfinished frames or receivers" which are so poorly defined the term could mean anything.

The organizer of the April 23 rally wants to know what sort of welcome and acknowledgement firearm owners who attend would appreciate. Please comment below.
The antis lined up for public humiliation. Seriously though. I would like to see redo of testimony somewhere in the Capitol. We could have empty chairs with names of Senators who do not want to appear and let the entire opposition get their chance to give their testimony out loud. There should be somebody filming it. It would be great if we could get access to one of the hearing rooms.

The CHL letter is really good. I would add that it is well known (e.g. via journal entries later found in the shooter's home/apartment) that, in the majority of cases, mass shooters avoid places where they expect armed resistance. I know you address this, but I would add specific examples from well-known cases.

I will follow up on this tonight.

Last Edited:
I emailed over a dozen different tip lines for Oregon news papers last night and have not heard back from any of them. Here is the letter I sent to them all:
I wanted to alert you to a controversy brewing in Salem regarding SB 978-5. It turns out Section 17 (1) (b) & Section 17 (2) of the bill will criminalize possession of nearly all pre-1968 US made firearms, nearly all firearm imported prior to 1968 and any home built firearms that did not use a receiver or frame that was serialized in accordance with the federal regulations listed in SB 978-5. I can't identify the name of the assistant or Democrat Senator who confirmed this information for me but they ran this issue through the Legislative Office and they sent this back to the Senator:

As it is right now – if the bill[sic] wouldn't qualify as an antique firearm then there is no grand fathering process for otherwise non-conforming firearms. I will bring this up to the Chair and see if its something he thinks there needs to be an amendment for and what that would look like. The difficulty, as I'm sure you can imagine, is figuring out what the "cut off" is for having these firearms – but the simple answer for your constituent is that there is not currently a provision that would allow him to continue to possess that firearm lawfully.

I can't tell you if this was the original intention of the bills language or not, but it will be the result. Washington State just passed a similar law (HSB1739) banning untraceable firearms but they were smart and included a grandfather clause that deems all untraceable firearms legal if they were manufactured before July 1, 2019.
It looks like some Democrat Senators are going to vote no on this bill, whether there will be enough to derail the bill or not is still up in the air. I would appreciate it if you would look for a story here. If it passes as currently written it will impact hundreds of thousands of Oregonians with older firearms.

I would suggest reaching out to Senator Thatcher's office for info on current status of the bill. She attached a minority report amendment on the bill which will require a floor vote to remove.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions

I haven't heard anything about this April 23 rally. Do you have a link to more details?

56786174_10157250094918179_3927810225700077568_n.jpg

I will write Arnie with support. Asking him not to make millions of Oregonians felons.

Roblan's office doubles down to make you a felon.

Senator Arnie Roblan has announced his plans to vote the omnibus anti-gun bill out of committee.

OFF let him know we are prepared for an ad campaign letting his constituents know what he dd. Here is what we got in return.

"....you might have sealed the passage of this gun bill."

Rosie Shatkin
Legislative Policy Advisor
Sen. Arnie Roblan, SD 5
Office: 503.986.1705

I just wrote Arnie: Sending support and mindful that 1) please do not make millions of Oregonians felons, 2) The Safe School Act; gun free zones was a failure, suggesting the same footprint in this bill; and 3) the majority of Oregonians do not want discrimination on age for long gun purchases.

And, sending him my support for opposition.

OFF let him know we are prepared for an ad campaign letting his constituents know what he dd. Here is what we got in return.

I'm too new at this game to say for sure, and I don't know the entire story, but still, maybe such a delicate situation calls for a more diplomatic approach?

The "might have" sounds like we are hanging by a thread. :eek:

Please target Senator Roblan by contacting him immediately, but do so respectfully! We can't afford to have him dig his heels in because we act like a bunch of a******s.

Dear Senator Roblan,

While ALL of SB 978 is bad, the worst part may be the ability of the bill to turn families into felons simply for cherishing a multi-generational heirloom. Felony convictions literally ruin people's lives, so they should be reserved only for crimes with significant, intentional impact on their victims.

SB 978 is poised to create felony-level convictions for activities that law-abiding Oregonians have been practicing lawfully for many, many decades with no threat to public safety. No good thing will come form that, so I respectfully urge you to stop this oppressive piece of legislation. It's the right thing to do.

Thank you for your consideration.

Roblan's office doubles down to make you a felon.

Senator Arnie Roblan has announced his plans to vote the omnibus anti-gun bill out of committee.

Rosie Shatkin
Legislative Policy Advisor
Sen. Arnie Roblan, SD 5
Office: 503.986.1705
Where are the missing parts of this?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show