JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was supposed to hit up some outdoor shooting awhile back with a friend. I went to his house and he showed me his sawed off sg. I asked if it was legal. He said huh? I went home lol. Anyway he replaced the barrel with a 20in barrel since then. Just wondering if he got busted would I be in trouble too just by being with him??

Well it is NOT illegal to have a "sawed off shotgun", it is possible to cut them down an still be legal length. It is illegal to have a shotgun with a barrel length under 18" or an OAL of 26" without the proper paperwork.

You did a smart thing. The situation in which you were caught with an illegal firearm would determine what kind of trouble you would get in. Odds are it would take you a lawyer to attempt to get you out of the situation so even if you win it would cost $$$.

a friend of mine got arrested for the same thing and got 18 months. and cannot own another rifle for 5 yrs and can never buy a handgun. kinda stupid. over a couple inches off abarrel.

I see another Ruby Ridge coming.

Yeah if he cut the barrel under 18",he might want to destroy the thing. If not under 16 then he can have it on the gun.

But as far as you getting in trouble for being at his house with it there? Doubt it,unless he says it's yours lol
Now out at the pit and you decide to try it out when the sheriff deputy pulls up,that might get you trouble

Last Edited:
I find it ironic that sawing the barrel shorter than 18" on a .410 shotgun could land me in jail and instantly vaporize a lot of my future rights. Meanwhile, I can carry a Taurus Judge in my pocket anywhere my CHL allows. If Taurus had a better reputation I'd probably own one already.

And don't "fix" this for me. It's exactly what I meant to say.

Nwcid

Well it is NOT illegal to have a "sawed off shotgun", it is possible to cut them down an still be legal length. It is illegal to have a shotgun with a barrel length under 18" or an OAL of 26" without the proper paperwork.

I think the barrel was like 14" long.

waltermitty

your friend should get rid of the short barrel, too, and not have it sitting around near the shotgun it was removed from

I have no idea what he did with the shorter barrel. Hopefully he got rid of it.

I find it ironic that sawing the barrel shorter than 18" on a .410 shotgun could land me in jail and instantly vaporize a lot of my future rights. Meanwhile, I can carry a Taurus Judge in my pocket anywhere my CHL allows. If Taurus had a better reputation I'd probably own one already.

The difference it rifled barrel. Put a 16" rifled barrel on a .410 that came with a pistol grip (no stock) and you will be legal.

Each gun has specific descriptions. Find the description the gun fits and that is what it is. It does not mean it makes sense from a stand point of what you can with them, but it does at least make sense they fit the description.

I thought .410 was a caliber and not a gauge so was not considered a shotgun. Am I wrong I have a snakecharmer that is shorter than 18 inches and a smoothbore.

Again the definitions of Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, SBR, SBS, AOW, DD, MG, and silencer have nothing to do with gauge vs caliber with the exception of DD, Section

IF a gun has a smooth bore and is less then 26" OAL or less then a 18" barrel it is an NFA item (unless it is exempt, cant find that list right now). There are some old .38 caliber revolvers that are smooth bore and by definition they ARE AOW's. I do believe most are in the exempt class though.

I do not know the status of your gun.

Not as a Title 1 firearm because anything over .50 caliber is considered a Destructive Device (DD) which is an NFA item. NFA items are legal in most places but have extra paperwork.

General shotguns, including rifled barreled 12ga is exempt under the "sporting" clause.

so could someone come up with a rifled bore 28 gauge shotgun shelled pistol (I believe taurus was going to try, but idk if it was rifled or not.)
Big gun, Short lived. Taurus 28 Gauge Revolver. | The Firearm Blog

I see another Ruby Ridge coming.

Yeah if he cut the barrel under 18",he might want to destroy the thing. If not under 16 then he can have it on the gun.

But as far as you getting in trouble for being at his house with it there? Doubt it,unless he says it's yours lol
Now out at the pit and you decide to try it out when the sheriff deputy pulls up,that might get you trouble

Actually it is 16" barrel & 26" overall on a Rifle& 18" long barrel & 26" overall on Shotgun

Fixed (you need to put 2 spaces at then end of each sentence before starting a new one):

I know... I'm an azz. ;)

As I understand it, the issue on the Taurus Judge, S&W Governor & also the .410 derringers is that the barrel (at least 1/2") is rifled, that makes it a handgun, as a shotgun has a smooth bore (as long as it isn't a rifled barrel) heh heh

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top