JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

what should I do

• Sell it or trade it?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • rechamber it?

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • shot it as is?

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have a few savage 24's what I really want is one that is a 223/12ga. that said I do not have any other .222 rifles. I have talked to a few gunsmiths that said they can ream it to .223 or 556. The problem with that is there are not that many savages 24 around. I know if I did it the value would go down and I would not get the best grouping from the heavier bullets. what do you guys do sell it or trade it or rechamber it?

222 does not equal 223 lol

I have to agree with this statement wholeheartedly! The .222 does NOT equal .223. The .222 stood firmly at the top of all benchrest cartridges for a very long period of time, and even upon the advent of the "PPC" craze, there are STILL competitors who hold their own with the "triple deuce". The .223 never achieved a sliver of sunshine in this arena which demands nothing but perfection toward inherent accuracy. No, the .222 does not equal the .223. It has a longer neck which contributes to bullet alignment/concentricity upon seating. It will achieve 90-95% of the velocity of the .223 while efficiently utilizing 70-85% of the powder. The .222 certainly does NOT equal the .223, since it was designed as a target/varmint cartridge, and being (at least one of) the parent case of the .223, it was specifically designed for unparallelled efficiency and accuracy: (where the .223 is a sort of bastardized/compromised short necked cartridge designed solely for the purpose of launching heavy FMJ bullets into humans). No equality there.

Given the choice (for my purposes: precise accuracy, efficiency, superb power for all varminting applications and friendliness toward varmint-weight bullets), the .222 cannot in any fashion be denigrated with the assignment of "equal" to the .223.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR