JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

what should I do

• Sell it or trade it?

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • rechamber it?

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • shot it as is?

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have a few savage 24's what I really want is one that is a 223/12ga. that said I do not have any other .222 rifles. I have talked to a few gunsmiths that said they can ream it to .223 or 556. The problem with that is there are not that many savages 24 around. I know if I did it the value would go down and I would not get the best grouping from the heavier bullets. what do you guys do sell it or trade it or rechamber it?

222 does not equal 223 lol

I have to agree with this statement wholeheartedly! The .222 does NOT equal .223. The .222 stood firmly at the top of all benchrest cartridges for a very long period of time, and even upon the advent of the "PPC" craze, there are STILL competitors who hold their own with the "triple deuce". The .223 never achieved a sliver of sunshine in this arena which demands nothing but perfection toward inherent accuracy. No, the .222 does not equal the .223. It has a longer neck which contributes to bullet alignment/concentricity upon seating. It will achieve 90-95% of the velocity of the .223 while efficiently utilizing 70-85% of the powder. The .222 certainly does NOT equal the .223, since it was designed as a target/varmint cartridge, and being (at least one of) the parent case of the .223, it was specifically designed for unparallelled efficiency and accuracy: (where the .223 is a sort of bastardized/compromised short necked cartridge designed solely for the purpose of launching heavy FMJ bullets into humans). No equality there.

Given the choice (for my purposes: precise accuracy, efficiency, superb power for all varminting applications and friendliness toward varmint-weight bullets), the .222 cannot in any fashion be denigrated with the assignment of "equal" to the .223.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads