Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Saturday....Deer opener

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Trick, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

Good luck everyone! Post you kills here! I want to hear about them and see the pics....or else!;)

2. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

I read "deer opener" and thought you'd constructed a new tool :p

3. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

I skip opening weekend, too many itchy trigger fingers. :paranoid:

4. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Yamhill County Active Member

+1

After 15+ years hunting, last year was my first time going out on opening day, usually I work or skip it. I was watching a patch of timber next to a nice clear cut waiting for sun up when I heard some elk really chatting it up about 200 yards away. I left to go watch them for a bit and when I came back there was another guy sitting where I had been. After I saw him I started moving away to put some distance between us and just as I turned away he started shooting and shooting and shooting. After he stopped firing I started heading back to see if he needed any help. When I got over there he was standing on the side of the hill looking at a stump with a bunch of bullet holes all over it. "Thought it was a deer" It was a little foggy but mistaking a stump 75 yards away and blasting it ten times.:nuts:.. I only go out on weekdays anymore. I see more deer and way less people and like it that way.

5. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

I went out this morning and saw a big, huge, gigantic............nothing. Thought I had a good spot to watch and then hiked around for 5 hours. Saw nothing other than a bunch of guys driving around in circles waiting for me to chase a deer out to them.:huh:

6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I saw a bunch of cows and calves, then heard a bull bugle over the next ridge. Watched squirrels and birds. Listened to the "target" shooters. Spent 13 hours in the treestand. Beats the H-E-double toothpicks out of work any day!

7. noworkjustfish

noworkjustfish Battle Ground, WA Member

I saw a bear jump the road while driving up this morning. Did alot of walking today and just came across a doe.
    I am not a big fan of this weather :(

8. OR4X4

OR4X4 Hour south of portland Member

I agree noworkjustfish. I got close enough for a shot on a little 3x3 this evening, but passed it up as it was borderline after shooting time. I'd rather have seen one and pass on a questionable shot, than still be out ther hoofing around after it if I'd not hit it clean.

9. BIG_GUNNUT

BIG_GUNNUT North Central Oregon Active Member

Here's a couple of pics of the buck I got on Saturday. I was hunting the East Biggs unit on private land. Looks to me like he's a whitetail cross. He weighed 185# hanging carcass. Horns are pure whitetail and everything else is muledeer.

IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2376.jpg

10. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

bastid...err I mean good for you. Nice buck.

11. ehunter

ehunter Hilllsboro Oregon Member

Wow he is a toad congrats.

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Nice!

13. marco

marco Harney County, Oregon New Member

Here's the buck I took Saturday morning at an undisclosed location in Eastern Oregon. Respectable but not a trophy.
    006.jpg

14. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

That is a dandy.....bigger then anything I saw hanging this year!

15. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Nice buck! :thumbup:

Can't eat the horns anyway. :winkkiss: