Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Saturday....Deer opener

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Trick, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

Good luck everyone! Post you kills here! I want to hear about them and see the pics....or else!;)

2. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

I read "deer opener" and thought you'd constructed a new tool :p

3. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

I skip opening weekend, too many itchy trigger fingers. :paranoid:

4. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Yamhill County Active Member

+1

After 15+ years hunting, last year was my first time going out on opening day, usually I work or skip it. I was watching a patch of timber next to a nice clear cut waiting for sun up when I heard some elk really chatting it up about 200 yards away. I left to go watch them for a bit and when I came back there was another guy sitting where I had been. After I saw him I started moving away to put some distance between us and just as I turned away he started shooting and shooting and shooting. After he stopped firing I started heading back to see if he needed any help. When I got over there he was standing on the side of the hill looking at a stump with a bunch of bullet holes all over it. "Thought it was a deer" It was a little foggy but mistaking a stump 75 yards away and blasting it ten times.:nuts:.. I only go out on weekdays anymore. I see more deer and way less people and like it that way.

5. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

I went out this morning and saw a big, huge, gigantic............nothing. Thought I had a good spot to watch and then hiked around for 5 hours. Saw nothing other than a bunch of guys driving around in circles waiting for me to chase a deer out to them.:huh:

6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I saw a bunch of cows and calves, then heard a bull bugle over the next ridge. Watched squirrels and birds. Listened to the "target" shooters. Spent 13 hours in the treestand. Beats the H-E-double toothpicks out of work any day!

7. noworkjustfish

noworkjustfish Battle Ground, WA Member

I saw a bear jump the road while driving up this morning. Did alot of walking today and just came across a doe.
    I am not a big fan of this weather :(

8. OR4X4

OR4X4 Hour south of portland Member

I agree noworkjustfish. I got close enough for a shot on a little 3x3 this evening, but passed it up as it was borderline after shooting time. I'd rather have seen one and pass on a questionable shot, than still be out ther hoofing around after it if I'd not hit it clean.

9. BIG_GUNNUT

BIG_GUNNUT North Central Oregon Active Member

Here's a couple of pics of the buck I got on Saturday. I was hunting the East Biggs unit on private land. Looks to me like he's a whitetail cross. He weighed 185# hanging carcass. Horns are pure whitetail and everything else is muledeer.

IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2376.jpg

10. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

bastid...err I mean good for you. Nice buck.

11. ehunter

ehunter Hilllsboro Oregon Member

Wow he is a toad congrats.

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Nice!

13. marco

marco Harney County, Oregon New Member

Here's the buck I took Saturday morning at an undisclosed location in Eastern Oregon. Respectable but not a trophy.
    006.jpg

14. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

That is a dandy.....bigger then anything I saw hanging this year!

15. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Nice buck! :thumbup:

Can't eat the horns anyway. :winkkiss: