JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"This evening we were visited by Comowool the Clatsop Chief and 12 men women and children of his nation . . . The Chief and his party had brought for sail a Sea Otter skin, some hats, stergeon and a species of small fish which now begin to run, and are taken in great quantities in the Columbia R. about 40 miles above us by means of skimming or scooping nets . . . I find them best when cooked in Indian stile, which is by roasting a number of them together on a wooden spit without any previous preparation whatever. They are so fat they require no additional sauce, and I think them superior to any fish I ever taste, even more delicate and luscious than the white fish of the lakes which hae heretofore formed my standaart of excellence among the fishes."

25 February 1806

I don't think they'll be here tomorrow and too bad as I am really looking forward to a smelt fry!

"candle fish." This nickname comes from the fact that the smelt are so full of oil that when dried, placed upright, and lit, the fish would burn from end to end like a candle.

Also called: eulachon, ooligan and oolichan.

Great White North calls them "Grease Tails" due to the high fat content (as noted in the candle fish details above)

Natives called them "salvation fish" as they were the first fish to arrive in the river after a long winter when their stored food supplies were about gone.

Pan Fry

Ingredients:

2 pounds whole fresh smelt, cleaned and heads removed

Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice

1/2 cup butter

2 lemons, cut into 8 wedges

Directions:

Rinse cleaned smelt under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle fish cavities with salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, pour the lemon juice, dip both sides of the smelt in lemon juice, then coat both sides with flour.

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter; add the smelt and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, or until fish is lightly browned and flakes readily when prodded with a fork. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Place smelt on a platter, garnish with lemon wedges, and serve immediately.

The commercial guys did real well in the main channel, but if you are thinking about the Sandy River, it most likely will be March 15th when they historically show up there.
Call Mark at Marks Snack & Tackle for up to the minute river condition and fishing news. (503) 489-5649
He did tell me that there is a guy that will be renting nets across the road from his store, and he has private access to the river.
You can park in the Glenn Otto Park lot, and just walk across the hwy. $10.00 for a three hour net rental.

Quote Originally Posted by MeriwetherLewis View Post
“This evening we were visited by Comowool the Clatsop Chief and 12 men women and children of his nation . . . The Chief and his party had brought for sail a Sea Otter skin, some hats, stergeon and a species of small fish which now begin to run, and are taken in great quantities in the Columbia R. about 40 miles above us by means of skimming or scooping nets . . . I find them best when cooked in Indian stile, which is by roasting a number of them together on a wooden spit without any previous preparation whatever. They are so fat they require no additional sauce, and I think them superior to any fish I ever taste, even more delicate and luscious than the white fish of the lakes which have heretofore formed my standard of excellence among the fishes.”

25 February 1806

I've got to figure he hadn't tasted springer yet.

Funny thing about Lewis & Clark, they wouldn't touch the salmon. They refused any offered to them and preferred instead to eat dog meat.
The local Indians thought they were nuts.

Guys. A quick look at what you missed today on the Sandy. Smelt were in force as were the dippers. Some dipped more than the 10 ponds allowed and a some got to know the wrath of the OSP. Fortuantely, I wasn't among them. I got my 10 pounds and beat cheeks.
Art

DSCN1707.JPG

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top