JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Police say two people stole power tools from Coastal Farm and Ranch store on State Avenue late Saturday afternoon. When they got to their car in the parking lot, a shopper tried to confront them and showed them his gun. The accused shoplifters struck that man with their car as they took off, according to police.

That's when two more shoppers carrying guns confronted the thieves. The armed citizens fired several shots, taking out two tires on the getaway car. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Armed shoppers help stop shoplifters at Marysville farm and store

I saw this on the news the other night .
Idiots.
I would say don't come forward.your going to jail if you do.
YOU CAN'T USE YOUR GUN TO PROTECT PROPERTY.

What I think is funny is that, for the most part, people on a forum like this probably watch movies like Death Wish or Boondock Saints and get a fair amount of entertainment value. If there was a group out there the media could spin as condoning this stuff, it would be us.

But look at all the restraint! I read lots of news commentary and its amazing how little people know about the legalities of DGU.

So the real question is can you use force to stop a hit and run on a person?
The car is a wepon.
The PROBLEM is they are stealing tools then someone stands in front of the car .
Trying to stop the getaway.
Just get the make model color license plate number.
Let them drive away.
IT'S JUST TOOLS.
Not worth get hurt or dead

If it's legal for a LEO it should be legal for a private citizen.
Not saying I would, but If they did run someone down, and then were confronted again, maybe a weapon could be used, but shooting out tires? Thats just plain stupid. If there was reason to pull a weapon they ahould have shot the driver not wild dirty harry shoot out the tires BS.
That's about as smart as a warning shot.

The plan was to steal tools. Then customers drew their guns | HeraldNet.com

The thieves allegedly took four nail guns, each worth over $400, walked out of the store and got into a Honda Civic.

They didn't expect to be surrounded by about six customers with guns raised.

One customer was standing in front of the car, yelling at the alleged thieves to get out.

"He won't shoot, run him over," one of the suspects reportedly said.

The driver pulled forward, causing the man confronting him to land on the hood, court papers say.

Another customer shot at the driver's side front tire, according to documents. A third fired twice at the rear tire.

Someone shot at the car one more time as it left the parking lot, records show.

An employee saw the car leaving and drove after the theft suspects. He said he saw one of the men lean out the passenger window and hold up what looked like a gun.

Wow.

One can certainly argue the guys shouldn't have been out confronting the thief's but once they said "run him over" and 1st guy hits the hood, I'm surprised the 2nd guy didn't shoot to kill.

Shooting at the car as it left though? No bueno...

Like I said before, 6 guys at coastal with guns? Not at all surprised! And that's just the one's that did something!

Last Edited:
What was that movie where the doobad was doing doobad things, and every person on the subway train pulled and pointed a gun at him? That was funny scene I'd like to see again.

What was that movie where the doobad was doing doobad things, and every person on the subway train pulled and pointed a gun at him? That was funny scene I'd like to see again.

1434333593071.png

Predator 2 - Subway Scene -everyone has a gun
Video unavailable.
This video contains content from Fox, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

If it's legal for a LEO it should be legal for a private citizen.
What 'legalities' are you referring to?
Should a private citizen have the arrest and detention legalities as an LEO?
How about traffic stops? should a private citizen be able to detain a vehicle and driver?
How about domestic disturbances? Should a private citizen be able to intervene in a DD say in their neighborhood?
Kind of wondering what you mean by legal for an LEO being legal for a private citizen.

I believe that/I feel that most of us have figured it out already......

That playing a cop for free isn't worth it.

Then.....some also feel that it's NOT worth it, even being paid to do that job.

Aloha, Mark

Then.....some also feel that it's NOT worth it, even being paid to do that job.
Then... I certainly hope they are honest enough with themselves to realize if they believe it is NOT worth it to CHOOSE to go find something more meaningful to do and not just 'stick it out' for the bennies and retirement.

What 'legalities' are you referring to?
Should a private citizen have the arrest and detention legalities as an LEO?
How about traffic stops? should a private citizen be able to detain a vehicle and driver?
How about domestic disturbances? Should a private citizen be able to intervene in a DD say in their neighborhood?
Kind of wondering what you mean by legal for an LEO being legal for a private citizen.

I'm referring to the use of force laws.
If someone is in danger of death or major bodily injury they have the right to use desdily force.

Using a car to hit, ie assault with a deadily weapon, justifies deadily force

I'm with @clearconscience here, if some crook intentionally uses his escape rig to run some one over, that's grounds for a bullet through the glass! What was a bad set of decisions all around was made into a lethal situation when the car was turned into a weapon! Was this shoot a good or bad one? Can't honestly say, but once the car became a weapon, all the previous wrongs are secondary to the immanent threat of death or grievous bodily harm!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top