JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not seeing that, Cops being allowed to shoot people who simply ran. Unless you mean it was how the "news" reported it, later to be found bogus. I have seen a few high profile shoots where Cops are being charged with a crime for shooting someone. Have some where they were found to shoot a fleeing guy for no reason and walked?

There is the tendency also of news reports to jump on such 'news' and report it before the facts are in, and like I said, in a more public forum I tend to not comment on such news - but this isn't very public and the members here are a lot more pro-LE so I feel safe in being a bit more of a devil's advocate if you will. On FB I would keep quiet until the facts come in later - or at most caution people to wait for the facts (usually a waste of time to say that).

Going to be lazy and/or leave now; have to get ready to leave for work - but there are plenty of LE shooting incidents out there now where the facts are out there since there have been investigations and where an LE shot someone fleeing from them - sometimes a suspect, sometimes nothing more than someone just running from them. It seems to me to be a general trend in the shootings, and with very little complaints when it is a suspect, and even with the non-suspects the LEOs fall into line defending one of their own by providing false testimony.

Now maybe this trend in shootings has always been out there, but the policy as I understood it was not always that way. Maybe I am mistaken, maybe it is just that the news is more biased than it was, but even there I tend to see the news also fall in behind the LEO shooting someone who is no longer a danger just because they are a felon. and fleeing custody.

Indeed, even worse, if you simply have a gun within reach of your person, it seems it is a capital offense where you are shot on sight - and the news media applauds along with at least half the populace. In short, open season on 'civilians'.:eek:

On its face this sounds like an emotional "Contempt of Cop" reaction, 'push me and run away... I'll shoot your lights out' But, I have been know to be wrong before.

These other civilian on shoplifter stories came to mind:

I think shooting someone over a property crime/shoplifting is stupid. But I'd like to see more details before making any assumptions.

THAT part always scares me. When you see video of LEO's firing on some scum in a place where others are. I often watch those wondering, where the hell are all those rounds going that miss? That one a while back where they shot that meth head in the center of town. He was throwing rocks at them. They opened up on him twice to put him down. I kept wondering how many cars and stores had holes in them when they were done.

Don't have to worry if they are already down!!!

I think shooting someone over a property crime/shoplifting is stupid. But I'd like to see more details before making any assumptions.

You steal my dog, you're gonna eat lead!!! ;)

And homeowners?

My shotgun is for home defense.

Someone can break into my house and as long as they stay I could legally shoot them as I would be in fear for my life. But regardless of whether I got into an altercation with them or not, if they leave, I can't legally shoot them as they are running or driving away as I am no longer in fear for my life.

Ditto with LEOs - at least, they are no longer in fear for their lives when a suspect flees from them. So how come they can shoot someone fleeing their custody - especially a shoplifter?

Policy and practice used to not allow this for LEOs. Why is it now ok?

This happened yesterday. Should the trial, sentencing, and execution be done within 24 hours? Give it time.

Shoot a fleeing Shoplifter? Ok if you are the Police.

Because nothing said that something that happened yesterday has been deemed "ok" by anyone within 24 hours. Are you just jealous you don't get to shoot people? You should get that looked at.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews