JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just saw this on the news tonight but can't find an online link yet. Evidently several witnesses saw a shoplifter trying to leave the scene at the Coastal Farm and Ranch in Marrysville WA. One or more of the bystanders that we're trying to stop the perp from leaving in their vehicle, fired and shot out tire or tires of the vehicle and didn't stick around to make a statement. Police are now seeking them out to get a statement. Bad shoot that reflects badly on legal gun owners of WA is my opinion. Seems excessive and reckless for just shoplifting. What does everybody think?

Damn reckless and very stupid.

Damn reckless and very stupid.

Yup.

Wouldn't it be a different society today if you could (if you so chose) shoot someone over the theft of property? Without the fear over litigious acts of retaliation...

Honestly, I would go so far as to recon that there would be far far fewer criminals in said contemplative society.

Looks like they released a sketch of one of the suspects

Yosemite_Sam.gif

On the local Facebook pages, there is a statement that the shooters fired at the vehicle as the vehicle was trying to run them over. If so, that does make it self-defense from vehicular assault. If it is not true, than there is Washington state case law on you cannot use deadly force in the defense of property. I would imagine even more so when it is not your property.

Wouldn't it be a different society today if you could (if you so chose) shoot someone over the theft of property? Without the fear over litigious acts of retaliation...
Yea - and there would also be a lot of innocent people injured or killed due to impulsive shootings where it was not justified.

Well after talking to my buddy who's wife works there, it sounds a bit more complicated. His wife indicated that one of the shoplifters may have drawn a weapon also. Who drew first will be the deciding factor I suppose. Also complicated because of number of samaritans who drew guns. Sounds like it was several. 7 shell casings recovered at scene but no indication how many shooters. Wild West for sure.

If the perp was attempting to leave the scene of a property crime it should have been weapons holstered. From what I read here it sounds like the situation was escalated by would be good samaritans and could have resulted in someone being injured over what, a stolen post hole digger or a pair of boots?

Last Edited:
Yea - and there would also be a lot of innocent people injured or killed due to impulsive shootings where it was not justified.

Perhaps. Perhaps also that most folks, like ourselves, do not EVER want to shoot anyone.

There was a time that stealing a mans horse was a hanging offense.

Nowadays folks will steal a car just because they want to. Most times, if cought, the punishment is laughable.

Think of it again. If the bar for use of lethal force was LEGALLY lowered, would crime in general similarly get lower.

This was at Coastal?!? No wonder there were so many CCW people! Stupid criminal to pull a gun there (if he actually did)!

@RVTECH - I understand the thought, but there was a time when Americans were a LOT more self reliant, and took care of a lot of policing themselves!

Not sure I agree 100% with that. Innocent people don't try to steal your property.

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe he was talking about innocent bystanders. You never know where a stray bullet is going to go, and once you send it, you can't take it back...

Well after talking to my buddy who's wife works there, it sounds a bit more complicated. His wife indicated that one of the shoplifters may have drawn a weapon also. Who drew first will be the deciding factor I suppose. Also complicated because of number of samaritans who drew guns. Sounds like it was several. 7 shell casings recovered at scene but no indication how many shooters. Wild West for sure.

Now it's a "number of samaritans" who drew their guns? Damn, the story keeps getting better and better... Sounds like there a number of people who need to go take a refresher CCW class. Maybe not one from their area, but one that will teach them something.. Do they just issue CCW's on the back of a safeway recipt there or what?

In all honesty, there are some people that have earned a certain level of indifference from LE. They've been arrested over and over again. They go to court over and over. Judges have to listen to their stupid explanations and can't justify sentencing out of the standard range or even jail time in the standard range because of cost, so they get next to nothing for time.

Then one turns up dead. Everyone lets out a collective "awwwww" and then goes about their business. Just saying.

Now it's a "number of samaritans" who drew their guns? Damn, the story keeps getting better and better... Sounds like there a number of people who need to go take a refresher CCW class. Maybe not one from their area, but one that will teach them something.. Do they just issue CCW's on the back of a safeway recipt there or what?

Mine is printed on recycled slot machine tickets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top