JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've just written off going on the weekends out there. I work a Tuesday thru Saturday schedule which frees up Monday as my Sunday Gunday. Mondays I practically have the whole place to myself for hours on end. Guess I'm just spoiled a little lol

Wolf Creek is a precursor of what's to come in public land shooting. ODF wants to do more and WA DNR is practically being forced to do it, (if the new proposed law comes into effect). It's what recreational shooting is destined to become.

Wolf Creek, however, may be the Cadillac of dispersed shooting lanes. It's a show piece and an example of what public land shooting could, (and perhaps should), be. New ones may not be quite as nice but will still hold the basic safety and fire prevention features as NFWC.

Much of the future, of lanes like this, is hinged on the support from the recreational shooting community. The more responsible/supporting shooters out there, the more agencies see it's what we want, prefer and are willing to put forth the effort to preserve.

Still, it's up to each individual to choose where they prefer to shoot. I don't blame you at all, Mike. I fully understand where that comes from. Sometimes I wish I could do the same and just let this mission go... but I'm in too deep. Besides, for me, it's a labor of love.

I'm of the same mind set as far as going out to try and shoot at NFWC. But I'm still up for a clean-up, or three, during the year at different places. All the good folks that gather, the huge difference in makes when everyone is done picking up, and the likely chance to get some shooting in after the clean-up. It's a great time and I would suggest that @Mike97124 might find joining in for one or three of the clean-ups fulfilling.

Its been a long time since Ive been out that way...

What time of year does it usually clear up? Id love to go up there and shoot but dont want to lose all of my brass in the snow.

Reno911, not a problem, I didn't take it as being rude at all. I'm often quoted out of context and sometimes my opinions are considered the most ridiculous thing someone has ever heard on this forum. So no sweat at all.

Koda, yes, it's free, sorta... but that freedom does come at a price, just like about anything. And being free means different things to different people. For most of us, it means we clean up after we enjoy it, for others it means they are free to shot anything they want and just leave it there when they are done.

Cogs, yes, if there were more examples like the one at Wolf Creek, then it would help create more examples (on the same principle that a crowd draws a crowd) but as you have pointed out a few times, there aren't enough people willing to do what you do with as much energy and passion that you do it with. But what happens when you run out of steam or find that life takes you in a different direction and you don't have the time to devote to it?

MikeJ, I said I had given up trying to shoot there, I didn't say I was not going to help support when and where I can, I just do not see a lot of opportunity to shoot there. If it was just me, it would be one thing, but my wife likes shooting as much as I do but it's a little harder on her to get out there and I'm not going to tell her she can't go... she's a better shot than I am and I don't think I could get out of the drive way fast enough before I had 4 flat tires. :)

Look on the bright side... with my wife and I not trying to shoot up there that opens up a spot for someone else. ;)

Mike

I always offer to share a lane with people looking to shoot at NFWC, and all times except for one, where I've asked others if they would share a lane, I've gotten a positive response. It's a great way to meet new people.

Koda, yes, it's free, sorta... but that freedom does come at a price, just like about anything. And being free means different things to different people. For most of us, it means we clean up after we enjoy it, for others it means they are free to shot anything they want and just leave it there when they are done.

I hear what your saying, But gun club memberships are costly too. Everytime I compare annual dues its way more expensive. The amenities are nice and generally pay off in the wintertime. Public land shooting needs a small personal investment in additional items like a sun or rain canopy and table or portable bench to shoot from depending on your needs... and target stands. In all, these are fairly cheap investments compared to annual dues. The hardest part is where to go, and that's where Wolf Creek lanes come in, yeah its crowded... Ive been turned back from it, but I've also arrived at the crack of dawn to get a lane and have never missed getting one that early.... so it can be worked with.
At the end of the day you gotta do whats best for you as long as your enjoying shooting sports its all good.

I've never been able to shoot at Wolf Creek; the lanes are always full. I'm currently on a 8 month waitlist for the Tri County Gun Club range for membership. Thought about Douglas Ridge Gun Club also but it's too far. Pretty sure both these gun clubs require an NRA membership. I wish someone would open up more shooting ranges near the Portland, Hillsboro, and Beaverton area that doesn't rip people off.

Time Lapse Video to Camel's Hump shooting spot @ Salmonberry Road

Okay, I'll critique that video... Dang, buddy, you're gettin good at that! I like the way you show the roadway to the shooting site and the slow down at the intersections to help get a bearing on where you are. Love the music! Good show on the legal targets and excellent backstops. Some scenes may be a little too long on footage, but still, the overall presentation is very descriptive and shows great detail.

Overall, a Thumbs Up in my book!

Nice work, Mr. Pho! Looking forward to more!

Bill

Okay, I'll critique that video... Dang, buddy, you're gettin good at that! I like the way you show the roadway to the shooting site and the slow down at the intersections to help get a bearing on where you are. Love the music! Good show on the legal targets and excellent backstops. Some scenes may be a little too long on footage, but still, the overall presentation is very descriptive and shows great detail.

Overall, a Thumbs Up in my book!

Nice work, Mr. Pho! Looking forward to more!

Bill

Thanks! I hope these videos will help new shooters find their way to these spots. Salmonberry is not as easy to navigate compared to Wolf Creek.

Thanks! I hope these videos will help new shooters find their way to these spots. Salmonberry is not as easy to navigate compared to Wolf Creek.
Salmonberry will take you to nowhere if your not careful, ask me how I know that...

Agreed, great videos and great show of responsible use of public lands. Like me ShootingTargets7 AR500 steel as well. Hang it on 2X1/4" rebar, legs are 1/2" rebar.

AB6873B4-8DF9-4665-BCB5-CCEE2ECE26E2.jpeg

Salmonberry will take you to nowhere if your not careful, ask me how I know that...

Agreed, great videos and great show of responsible use of public lands. Like me ShootingTargets7 AR500 steel as well. Hang it on 2X1/4" rebar, legs are 1/2" rebar.

View attachment 572922

Nice legs.

Speaking of legs, I'm missing a set of 2x4 legs >.<. My HomeDepot brackets were on them too!

I just made a new purchase on these: 2x4 Target Stand - Version 2.0 - Made of AR500 Steel

I'm going to try and get some HomeDepot 3/4" EMT Conduit for these Tyca Industries brackets.

Are there Maps available for all those forrest roads in the tillamook forrest? and If so where could one get one? Almost got lost up by brownscamp lol

Are there Maps available for all those forrest roads in the tillamook forrest? and If so where could one get one? Almost got lost up by brownscamp lol
The best paper map i have seen is the hunting map for the Wilson unit. You can buy them at most sporting goods stores.

Or google Oregon Wilson Unit map, there are a few downloadable maps as well.

The best paper map i have seen is the hunting map for the Wilson unit. You can buy them at most sporting goods stores.

Or google Oregon Wilson Unit map, there are a few downloadable maps as well.
Yes, exactly!

USGS usually has pretty good maps as well. Google is your friend!
Part of the trouble is that logging companies are constantly building roads up there and they aren't always mapped.
Good luck!

View attachment 572922

Being a person who knows every single road in that whole entire area, no matter weather I come in from Timber/Cochran or any other road, I get turned around once in awhile. If I'm going into an area I havent been to in awhile I'll set my phone to track my location via a topo map program I downloaded. I can also overlay USGS maps and such. Yes, it's easy to get spun around there

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top