JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is permanently closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
So no one has made it out here recently? I'd love to know as well. I've never been to Mamaloose but have been a bit further past Ripplebrook to shoot before. Been wanting a decent spot out that ways.

Visited this weekend. The bridge (NF-45/Memaloose/224) and road immediately behind it is closed. The section of road the range is on is not closed though, which means that if you're willing to go all the way around the area starting from hillockburn road in the west you can still get there, but it's a long unpaved logging road and there's been a lot of snow and trees down in the area this winter so I didn't take the long route around myself.

The area is under the purview of the Clackamas River Ranger District so they may be involved in saying when the Memaloose bridge route reopens. The latest update on that first linked page was 12/17/15 so it may be worth contacting the rangers for a timeline on if it may be reopened.

It's been 3 years or more since the pit36 fire. I just don't see the Forest Service opening that road. They are probably really happy that shooters can't get back there anymore. The trip around would be hellish to make.

I'd sure like someone's opinion as to a good spot that may be farther away by good roads, but a spot that has a high chance of being free of homeless people or other shooters. Is there maybe a place farther down that HWY 224?

As far as alternatives up 224, one can turn left on the 4630, and then left again. Look for Surprise Lake on a map.

Google Maps

Ignore the Lazy Bend Campground reference and look at the map image. I'm not the best at tech. It is accessed by a north - south spur that is not labelled on google maps.

As far as alternatives up 224, one can turn left on the 4630, and then left again. Look for Surprise Lake on a map.

Google Maps

Ignore the Lazy Bend Campground reference and look at the map image. I'm not the best at tech. It is accessed by a north - south spur that is not labelled on google maps.
Thank you. I will check that out the next time I'm out there.

I've been to the other side of the closed bridge a few times this past year by taking hillockburn road, there are a few shooting areas before the road becomes a real dirt road, mostly trashed and pretty disappointing. If you stay on the road you can get to the old quarry sites in about 45 minutes though you do need to have good suspension or an iron butt for all the potholes. Once you get beyond the lumper sections of road you don't see many people at all and I've done the trip in 2WD without any drama each time. It's worth the drive to get away from the garbage but my worry is that the garbage will get the whole area shut down for good. There are some university forestry projects going on in that area and they don't want those areas trashed. I'm always amazed at the amount of garbage left behind by shooters in that area and I wouldn't blame the forest service for shutting down target shooting entirely, I wouldn't like it but I would understand it. The Boy Scouts, the Military and any outdoorsman/woman worth their salt live by the "if you pack it in, pack it out" creed, I'm not sure the general public feels the same way. If we don't show a certain level of safety and responsibility in the current political climate we may all lose our target shooting privileges on public land.

Dose any one know if this area is open still i used to go out here years back way before the fire and the closer of the main way up there. I try calling the ranger station in estacada but the women that answered the phone was really reluctant to answer any of my questions. Just trying to stay legit. Also used to go up to wildcat year ago before all the changes.

Dose any one know if this area is open still i used to go out here years back way before the fire and the closer of the main way up there. I try calling the ranger station in estacada but the women that answered the phone was really reluctant to answer any of my questions. Just trying to stay legit. Also used to go up to wildcat year ago before all the changes.
Hope this helps

I just looked up "ODF Mt. Hood national forest target shooting"

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.