JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is permanently closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
You can go up the back way, I believe it is Hillockburn rd. Between estacada and Colton. I have been shooting several times this year and there are several locations once you get about 30 minutes off the pavement that are much less crowded. I live in Gresham and it takes me about 90 minutes or so to get up there. However if you prefer to drive more conservative than I do, it will take longer.
I hope that helps.

You can go up the back way, I believe it is Hillockburn rd. Between estacada and Colton. I have been shooting several times this year and there are several locations once you get about 30 minutes off the pavement that are much less crowded. I live in Gresham and it takes me about 90 minutes or so to get up there. However if you prefer to drive more conservative than I do, it will take longer.
I hope that helps.
Time is not a problem for me just wanna go to a place where i will have no issues with being out of compliance with the law. I always pick up my trash and other people's. Its sad that most places are getting shut down due to people's trash and disregard for common basic laws. They closed down crooked finger where i use to go for years and use to never see any one up there for hours until camp Dakota and google started advertising it. Thanks agian.

Anyone been up on the NF45 Rd from Hillockburn Rd lately? I'm wondering of the conditions of road and shooting places.

Is Memaloose Rd is still gated off at the river from Hwy 223? If so, access to the Helion Pit is only from the NF45 via Hillockburn down off Hwy 211... a long and tough drive! I'll check on if & why Memaloose is still closed. Every year it's the same answer... "unstable ground from the burn years ago". I think we need a better answer than that or else open it up.

Still, there are several places along the NF 45 that are good to shoot at... like 5 Way and Oz Pit.

Oh man I was up hwy 224 about a month ago, yes it's still closed at the bridge. Was at oz pit many months ago access was not an issue but looking at snow levels I'd assume it's not really accessible now

I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S.F.S. closed the whole national forest. I hunted up the Clackamas the last couple years and just about anywhere you can get off 224 every wide spot has had the bubblegum shot out of it. Fish creek is a real mess the first few miles in with trees all shot up, trash all over the place and just a general eyesore. target shooting mostly outlawed everywhere, but that hasn't stopped people. disappointing to say the least.

Every year it's the same answer... "unstable ground from the burn years ago". I think we need a better answer than that or else open it up.
Man, it's as easy as parking near the bridge and taking a walk up. the whole first mile up is unsafe, with at least two slides that I remember and obviously unstable ground. Opening that road up is a bad idea. They should leave that gate locked till the USFS can figured out the best way to move forward, and I suspect that is the way they will do it.

One of the biggest issues up the 45 is people shooting down trails from the trailheads, dumping trash, leaving fires, and generally acting like people who don't deserve the land they mistreat. My hunting spots are way up there, but at this point I hope they just gate it all so the land can recover.

Man, it's as easy as parking near the bridge and taking a walk up. the whole first mile up is unsafe, with at least two slides that I remember and obviously unstable ground. Opening that road up is a bad idea. They should leave that gate locked till the USFS can figured out the best way to move forward, and I suspect that is the way they will do it.

One of the biggest issues up the 45 is people shooting down trails from the trailheads, dumping trash, leaving fires, and generally acting like people who don't deserve the land they mistreat. My hunting spots are way up there, but at this point I hope they just gate it all so the land can recover.
Thanks for that input, Spaz! Best evaluation and explanation I've heard so far. If I can, I think I just might do that park at the gate idea and walk across. Your explaination gives me a different and better perspective on the situation. Perhaps then, I should ask them if the have any plans for corrective measures and when that might be.

And regarding the NF45 road, yes, there is a lot of BS happening up that road. Without some kind of positive and agressive representation from responsible shooters up there, the Forest Service could very well shut it down. However when we get involved, with cleanups and communicating to shooters, they tend to leave it open and hope for positive things to start happening. I wish that were the case because we do get involved and we do try. We just can't reach the Jackwagons who don't give a rip.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bill

The gate is closed indefinitely.
They're supposedly waiting for engineers but it'll probably never be fixed.

The back way is super rough still. Washboards like a mofo.
And that really big rut in the road isn't any better.
Pretty much guaranteed to have the joint to yourself though.
Too bad they put big piles of dirt in all the shooting spots.
The main good one is half the size now.
Not worth 90 minutes of rattling the fillings out my mouth

Thanks for the update, Nate.

I don't think they will open it again just to protect the experimental forest plots Oregon State is putting in up there and the trash and the fire that was caused by a doofus shooting tracers in the summer into brush. At least that's what I was told at the ranger station in Estacada a few years back. I am certain this year they will start closing areas all over as they are calling for a heavy fire season and the last couple of years it has been getting worse trash wise, not sure why it seemed to be getting better and now it's looking like ten years ago everywhere again. I've said it before and I will say it again we are our own worst enemy. Nobody, not even drunk teenagers leave as big of a mess as target shooters up that corridor. Just clean up your messes and stay low profile or we will lose another major area.

Pardon me if I'm blind, but I don't see a definitive answer if this spot is currently open with all the SARS CoV2 stuff happening.

Buddy and I went to one of the spots here, had a great time. Just need to go shooting again, figured I'd ask.

Or who to ask, like an agency or local of or something.

Thanks for reading.

Pardon me if I'm blind, but I don't see a definitive answer if this spot is currently open with all the SARS CoV2 stuff happening.

Buddy and I went to one of the spots here, had a great time. Just need to go shooting again, figured I'd ask.

Thanks for reading.
From my understanding BLM land is open to the public and was never closed down. The visitor center are closed but the land is open.

Thanks for reading.

The problem isn't that the land is closed perse, it's that the bridge to get to the designated shooting area is closed indefinitely. You can still get to the pit but it is a very long drive (about 35 miles, google says 1.5 hours) over unpaved logging roads. I've tried the drive a couple times but both times I've been blocked by downed trees on the road, however, there are other functional plots of land along the way.

Bridge in question is at 45.192497, -122.212235

The problem isn't that the land is closed perse, it's that the bridge to get to the designated shooting area is closed indefinitely. You can still get to the pit but it is a very long drive (about 35 miles, google says 1.5 hours) over unpaved logging roads. I've tried the drive a couple times but both times I've been blocked by downed trees on the road, however, there are other functional plots of land along the way.

Bridge in question is at 45.192497, -122.212235

As I understand, there's nothing wrong with the bridge. The first mile of so of the narrow road that is cut in the cliff going up the hill is the problem After the fire the cliff became unstable.

That's the last I heard. And I doubt the Mt Hood National Forest wants the likes of people that target shoot, IN the public forest. So Imma going to guess that road will NEVER be rebuilt.

Small update. This area is still closed and would have been for maybe only a few more years till the road could be repaired, but now because of the Riverside Fire, the other end is closed as well. Don't expect this to be open again for many years. Fire rehab is more important than recreational opportunities to the FS.

That's too bad. Fire is itself a rehab event, now just need to apply some time.
They are going to have to fix every single road that sees major traffic and close down a few up there. Its going to be a long expensive progress that they may not have the budget for, at least for the next 4 years. We will see. I've been told by people familiar with the situation that it could be closed for a decade.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.