JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think ODF has tried to block it off with boulders but it only serves as an idea for a firing line and steady rests. We should put up some signs that say something like "Not recommended for target shooting. No backstop". OR, "No Shooting. No backstop. Fines imposed."

9 of 10 times I drive up Salmonberry the spots are a mess.... Especially that first one.
Agreed, the spots along Salmonberry seem to be perpetually trashed, an individual hauling out one, two or three bags of trash really doesn't make a dent...

Would be nice to see TNL signs and a "shooter code of conduct" posted at the sites. It's hard to make some folks understand, continue trashing these sites and the state will shut them down.

Whenever I go, I typically haul a bag or two of trash out.. Leave it cleaner than you found it...

Agreed, the spots along Salmonberry seem to be perpetually trashed, an individual hauling out one, two or three bags of trash really doesn't make a dent...

Would be nice to see TNL signs and a "shooter code of conduct" posted at the sites. It's hard to make some folks understand, continue trashing these sites and the state will shut them down.

Whenever I go, I typically haul a bag or two of trash out.. Leave it cleaner than you found it...
They don't 'shut down' those places, because we pay some attention to them. Perhaps we shouldn't (and maybe they'll close some down!).

There are several places I'd like to see shut down because they are really bad places to shoot. I know we've recommended a couple spots to ODF and they've tried but it keeps coming back.

This is where I'd like to see a map of the forest showing recommended, and not recommended, places to shoot. I think it would be a great reference tool for shooters. Forest official cannot recommend a specific place to shoot or not to shoot, but we can! Just need to figure out how to do that. We can do it, as an independent from the ODF, so they wouldn't be the ones promoting or recommending it. I'm just not sure what map service to use and how to do it. Would love to get some ideas on this!

Bill

I think ODF has tried to block it off with boulders but it only serves as an idea for a firing line and steady rests. We should put up some signs that say something like "Not recommended for target shooting. No backstop". OR, "No Shooting. No backstop. Fines imposed."
I'll have to take a closer look... I drove by a couple weekends ago, didn't pull in there but didn't look either. I know I routinely see people in there shooting and cringe as there is not only no backstop but a large valley behind it.

I'll have to take a closer look... I drove by a couple weekends ago, didn't pull in there but didn't look either. I know I routinely see people in there shooting and cringe as there is not only no backstop but a large valley behind it.

We need like a visual map... which spot are you talking about? This spot?

Or is this spot bad to shoot? They seem fine to me

We need like a visual map... which spot are you talking about? This spot?

Or is this spot bad to shoot? They seem fine to me

Very poor form in the second vid. You have people BEHIND others with handguns flailing around "sweeping" the shooters at the line at about 3:30. :eek: There should be a line, imaginary, or with a yellow rope or such. A table would be nice to set guns on. The muzzles of gun should NEVER be pointed in the direction of others.

As far as the site on top of the hill there. I suppose it's not terrible, but it doesn't have a good, definite back stop. You're kind of shooting way out across a long area. Crazy thing, unless I'm seeing something else, at 4:56-4:58 notice the vehicle right above the red gong driving in the distance. :eek: :eek: :eek: That would suck to the nth to get a ricochet or a direct hit on a car out there. That part of the video should be isolated to show exactly why shooting in a place like that is a bad idea. You can't see if there is a road several hundred yards out. It quite a wake-up call!

Last Edited:
@VietPho both if those locations are horrible. I'm sorry to use you as an example, but it sounds like you want to find better safer places to enjoy recreational shooting. So I apologize in advance if I come off condescending.

I'm truly hoping you start going to North Fork Wolf Creek instead of continuing these types of outings. These lanes are far superior to your choices in these videos. In the second video you stopped at a rock query that was far better in every way than the open field you stopped at after, why did you not shoot there?

You are doing some things right, like using manufactured targets, especially steel reusable targets and stands. And paper targets. You are placing your targets in front of the berms. You are wearing good ear protection, and seem to be doing a good job with keeping your fingers off triggers when not firing. Most of all you all seem to be having fun! This is what it's all about.

However there are many things that can be improved. In doing so, I hope it will increase your enjoyment.

Like Mike said, there is a lot of unnecessary muzzling of each other. Groups are hard to keep track of, so establishing a firing line and place that weapons can sit pointed down range when not in use is a huge benefit. It keeps folks safe, and prevents a fun day shooting from turning into a really bad day.

Your choice of backstops are really poor. I took some screenshots and attached the pictures to illustrate. Where in these pictures can you account for a bullet traveling in the circled red? I'm betting you couldn't? Rule 3 or 4 of the 1s 5 rules of shooting. No your target and what is beyond it. Did you know what was beyond your targets? Roads? Other areas where people or vehicles could be? Don't take this chance, this is the very image we don't need for recreational shooters. All eyes are on us you know.

Anyways, it looks like you were shooting on the first video on the day we were actually doing a clean up. There was a good chance you actually drove by me at that first stop with the dumpster. That was the Oregon Hunters Association cleaning up the first shooting spot. A few guys from here and I were there helping for a bit after we cleaned up the North Fork Wolf Creek Lanes. If you see something like that again, stop by and chat us up. I'm always more than happy to point folks to safe areas with lots of earthy backstop to shoot at.

In fact hit me up anytime and I'll gladly help you find some better areas to enjoy recreational shooting!

Bryan

1F2507C9-3670-4E8B-A4F8-89819A634236.jpeg A9DD5220-026B-4E65-9A41-6E5DF7858602.jpeg 3489CAAB-F94E-4E2D-84A1-81BC285D97F4.jpeg 19872F85-8A31-4565-947A-E61353D94886.jpeg

@VietPho I cant quite tell for certain but neither of those two videos look like the location Im referring to.
But please please take to heart the advice already mentioned because neither of those two locations are safe or appropriate places to target shoot.

Im limited to replying from my phone for the day so I cant really take the time to embed maps and links, but the location im referring to is 45.7640, -123.4220

Its a short dead end pulloff on the right just befor you bit the last jct to turn left to go to the big gravel pit.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys. We had a feeling some of those places were sketchy. We are new to the outdoor shooting scene and we only shot at those few places because we've seen a lot of others shoot there and thought it might be ok. The green field we figured it would be fine because we were aiming towards the targets toward the ground (or should have been... that was a new group of people I was with and never met before). You should should put up signs such as "not recommended area for target shooting" for new shooters. Although we did have fire extenguishers and shovels in our vehicle, thinking back, them ricoccets could have easily spark a fire out in the green area we were shooting at.

Also, that was an awesome clean up crew we got to see when driving by. You guys rock!

"
In the second video you stopped at a rock query that was far better in every way than the open field you stopped at after, why did you not shoot there?"

We really regret not shooting there. My buddy was meeting up with his friends in the green field area and they had already setup all the food there.

The targets we were shooting at in the green field was hard to see in those videos but here is another video to see where our targets were. We figured it was a fine spot to shoot since we were aiming towards the ground

Last Edited:
Glad your cool with us trying to point you in better directions.

That last video your guys form is much better having the table as a firing line.

However that spot is still really bad. It is essentially just a random field, and it is essentially illegal as you are using trees as your backstop. With is against the state forests recreational shooting rules and regs.

Try and find large earthen backstops for your shooting. Where there is absolutely zero thought that a bullet has a chance of going anywhere but the backstop, or target.

It would be really hard to try and put signs up everywhere like this as we wouldn't know folks would be shooting here. Just looks like any other part of the Forest.

It's better to try and educate folks to do better and be better.

That last part is really what it is about.

Think about the image you are portraying for recreational shooters, if you think it probably looks bad, it is. We need to keep a good image, or places get shut down or regulated further.

Hit me up anytime. I'd love to get together at one of our future clean ups or get togethers. Especially if you cook those short ribs, and was that Bulgogi?

Thanks for the prompt reply guys. We had a feeling some of those places were sketchy. We are new to the outdoor shooting scene and we only shot at those few places because we've seen a lot of others shoot there and thought it might be ok. The green field we figured it would be fine because we were aiming towards the targets toward the ground (or should have been... that was a new group of people I was with and never met before). You should should put up signs such as "not recommended area for target shooting" for new shooters. Although we did have fire nextenguishers and shovels in our vehicle, thinking back, them ricoccets could have easily spark a fire out in the green area we were shooting at.

Also, that was an awesome clean up crew we got to see when driving by. You guys rock!

The targets we were shooting at in the green field was hard to see in those videos but here is another video to see where our targets were. We figured it was a fine spot to shoot since we were aiming towards the ground
You guys know how to eat! Can I come?! Now to fine tune your choices of shooting spots!

Glad you came back to comment, Viet. Don't mean to put a damper on your shooting fun, but some stuff in those vids are against the rules for shooting on public land (Berm, backstop and beer). Man, I'm sure glad we didn't have video cameras when I was your age! I was new at this once too and didn't have a clue there were rules!

Your crew is the age group we need to reach. So many people, in your age group, are heading to the forest and not realizing the negative effects on all of us because of how, where and what they shoot. They seem to have an attitude about just party down, shoot em up and leave everything they brought. We need you out there to be setting an example for doing it right!

A couple simple things, that were mentioned above, is to start with establishing a shooting line. Fold out tables in a row is a really good way to do it. Then, choose a place with a high dirt backstop. You'll still have a blast yet it will help everyone to be a little safer and avoid getting a citation or two (yes, Sheriff's Deputies do patrol out there!).

Rules for shooting can be found on our website: Trash No Land Shooting Rules And the rules are state law!

There's a couple videos to help give you a good understanding of what we're doing: Videos

So, we're counting on you to help us make recreational shooting just a little better on public lands. Your job, should you decide to accept, is to help your buds understand what's at steak and work on the finer details that make us all look good. Would love to have you and your crew on the team!

Looking forward to the next vid where we see the difference!

Thanks,
Bill

One of the delimmas with shooting on public lands is its actually difficult to find a good safe spot with an actual large enough solid earthen backstop with the right distance to shoot from (depending on pistol or rifle). One would think with all the hilly terrain it wouldnt be difficult, and it can be quite frustrating to drive all the way out there and find all the spots taken... So people drive on and pick an unsafe spot and shoot, dont clean up which then attracts others to shoot there.... The cycle continues.

Shooting into the forest then puts wildlife like deer and elk, hikers, MX/OHV, and especially hunters who hike off trail in those crazy places, as well as shooting trees is illegal.

One of the delimmas with shooting on public lands is its actually difficult to find a good safe spot with an actual large enough solid earthen backstop with the right distance to shoot from (depending on pistol or rifle). One would think with all the hilly terrain it wouldnt be difficult, and it can be quite frustrating to drive all the way out there and find all the spots taken... So people drive on and pick an unsafe spot and shoot, dont clean up which then attracts others to shoot there.... The cycle continues.

Shooting into the forest then puts wildlife like deer and elk, hikers, MX/OHV, and especially hunters who hike off trail in those crazy places, as well as shooting trees is illegal.
Ya, that's the biggest issue we are noticing with all good locations. Especially with North Fork Wolf Creek. Folks travel an hour from Portland or further to go shooting, all four lanes are full. Hell or high water, they are going shooting! So they find the next area they see signs of shooting or anything that sort of resembles a berm be it 2 feet high or a wall of trees.

It's an educational issue really.

We just need to find a better way to educate folks.

I'm all for managing the education through an online course and some sort of annual pass like that of OHV use.

Well, I am greatly open to a better spot too. I don't have a 4x4 and the Beaver dam rockpit is okay to access for me but would like to find something more "private". The Wolf creek lanes seem to always be full so I dont bother :(

Drove up Salmonberry Road today. Snowy but drive-able if you have road traction. We tried to do it with 2WD mode and didn't make it up the hill after passing the mini cooper in that video. Had to switch to 4x4 traction mode.

Drove up Salmonberry Road today. Snowy but drive-able if you have road traction. We tried to do it with 2WD mode and didn't make it up the hill after passing the mini cooper in that video. Had to switch to 4x4 traction mode.

damn, I'm glad I decided to not go up there today. I went to Wolf Creek and it's roads were clear but the lanes were packed. I was thinking of hitting Salmonberry but the flashing chains sign changed my mind, especially since I only have a 2wd Ranger

I've pretty much decided to write off Wolf Creek for a place to shoot. I've done the math and with the amount of times I go and can't shoot and how many more times going forward, I'll have spent enough on gas, wear and tear on my truck and car wash money to clean the oil and grime off of it to pay for a range membership. So I'm going to get a membership at a range a lot closer with a good expectation that my wife and I will be able to shoot every time we go. Plus I'll be able to drive my more fuel efficient Escape rather than my big Ram truck. And I won't feel obligated to clean up after all those that don't.

The one down side is that the noise level is much higher in an indoor range but if we don't go on the weekend and use ear plugs and over the ear protection that should bring the noise level down some. We'd much rather shoot outdoors but being realistic, it's not going to get any better and only worse as there are fewer and fewer places to shoot and more and more people try to crowd what few there are. And those that trash the few shooting areas available far out number those of us that clean up after ourselves as well as the trash the slobs leave,

Maybe if more people supported gun ranges they would be very profitable and more people would open them up giving us more places to shoot... if they don't end up getting legislated out of business as well. Since we've all but lost the outdoors I'd better use the indoor ranges as much as I can for as long as I can.

Mike

I've pretty much decided to write off Wolf Creek for a place to shoot.

Maybe if more people supported gun ranges...

I feel your pain Mike I truly do.

I'm not trying to be rude by quoting out of context, but I wanted to say my peace.

North Fork Wolf Creek is technically a shooting range.

I've been involved with NFWC from the start and one thing I've learned in the 2-3 years since it's been in place, is that it needs our support. That and we need more folks to get involved, folks that desire change and want to make more sites like NFWC happen.

Thus far it is a very very small amount of recreational shooters putting in time and effort to make things like NFWC happen.

Imagine if more folks did support it?

It would be pretty cool.

The fact that Wolf Creek shooting lanes even exists is because entirely of support from the local shooting community.

Yeah, its popular and fills up fast... But its free.

Wolf Creek is a precursor of what's to come in public land shooting. ODF wants to do more and WA DNR is practically being forced to do it, (if the new proposed law comes into effect). It's what recreational shooting is destined to become.

Wolf Creek, however, may be the Cadillac of dispersed shooting lanes. It's a show piece and an example of what public land shooting could, (and perhaps should), be. New ones may not be quite as nice but will still hold the basic safety and fire prevention features as NFWC.

Much of the future, of lanes like this, is hinged on the support from the recreational shooting community. The more responsible/supporting shooters out there, the more agencies see it's what we want, prefer and are willing to put forth the effort to preserve.

Still, it's up to each individual to choose where they prefer to shoot. I don't blame you at all, Mike. I fully understand where that comes from. Sometimes I wish I could do the same and just let this mission go... but I'm in too deep. Besides, for me, it's a labor of love.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top