JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will you be attending on February 9th?

• Yes! Protecting our rights is of the utmost importance.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • No. But I will be contributing to the event's fundraiser.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I can't make it.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • No. It's not worth my time.

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
The question is, how do you get people to turn out? I'm making plans to go, and I'll encourage others too. Perhaps people will be more motivated in Oregon after seeing what failing to be involved did in Washington. Failure to act, failure to vote, failure to get out and do something allowed gun-grabbers in Washington to dictate to gun owners how THEY think gun owners should do things. Hopefully Oregon gun-owners are much smarter than that.

I don't know if the organizers of the rally are coming off as being super smart. Many more people could show up for a weekend rally, than on a weekday. It would be far, far easier for folks to bring their wives and kids, and swell the numbers further.

And why so early at 8am in the morning? That will make it more difficult for people to travel from other places

Lots n lots of Oregonians do it (legally) every year while fishing/hunting and target shooting. I would wager there are far more target shooters, hunters & fishermen (or women) that carry concealed without ever getting a chl than those that actually give the State additional money & info, that it's not entitled to. This was established and the accepted practice for most outdoorsmen around the State long before the chl ever came about.
While I am a firm believer of the laws of the land, I too have a father that is not so understanding... He is one as you describe above... He travels from Reno to Oregon(my house) & Reno to Cali (his 2nd home) with a loaded 45 in the console...He is an old cowboy and refuses to give up his rights to carry a firearm and be unprotected.... Its kind of the same as the fisherman you speak of... I also understand its not quite concealed carry in public areas...

jb

If it ends up a small turnout, we will have the same fiasco take place that Washington did on 2014 with I-594.
Just a forewarning.
If this is to be preemptive it needs to be at a nuclear level.

40K people on the forum, and 22 on this poll question is not very impressive.
Now if that were 22,000... yes that would work. :) That would give them the brown shorts.

Oath Keeps and Patrick Henry are a good start for sponsoring organizations. Wondering why OFF hasn't said anything in support of this. Support from Kevin Sterrett can lead to larger sponsors. Lars Larson maybe? I also agree that without bills presented, it's difficult to pick the specific talking points. We can easily use the list from the last go round if they haven't announced anything by then. Unfortunately, I don't think that it's going to be an issue by mid February.

While I am a firm believer of the laws of the land, I too have a father that is not so understanding... He is one as you describe above... He travels from Reno to Oregon(my house) & Reno to Cali (his 2nd home) with a loaded 45 in the console...He is an old cowboy and refuses to give up his rights to carry a firearm and be unprotected.... Its kind of the same as the fisherman you speak of... I also understand its not quite concealed carry in public areas...

jb
I don't speak for anyone but myself. Btw your dad has a sense of rational thinking. He is understanding. The law is on his side and most cops would be too.

jb

Could those who want to talk about ignoring and disobeying existing laws please start a new discussion for this topic? This should not be a part of the discussion about the Salem rally. It does not belong here.

I don't know if the organizers of the rally are coming off as being super smart. Many more people could show up for a weekend rally, than on a weekday. It would be far, far easier for folks to bring their wives and kids, and swell the numbers further.

And why so early at 8am in the morning? That will make it more difficult for people to travel from other places
One of the reasons is to be visible to lawmakers while they are at the capitol. Realistically, it doesn't matter what the average voter thinks at this point. It's the influence we, and others have over our elected officials. It's also about the sacrifices that we are willing to make to exert that influence. Not everyone can take a vacation day, flex day, or personal day on that particular date, and that is understood. You can donate and you can also contribute your letter writing skills.

Could those who want to talk about ignoring and disobeying existing laws please start a new discussion for this topic? This should not be a part of the discussion about the Salem rally. It does not belong here.

People that utilize any one of the 14 state exemptions for concealed carry are following the law. The weight of the law is supporting to each of those 14 exemptions equally. Whether it be a fisherman, a retired or active law enforcement officer, a chl bearer or a target shooter. Get over your bad self.

Oath Keeps and Patrick Henry are a good start for sponsoring organizations. Wondering why OFF hasn't said anything in support of this. Support from Kevin Sterrett can lead to larger sponsors. Lars Larson maybe? I also agree that without bills presented, it's difficult to pick the specific talking points. We can easily use the list from the last go round if they haven't announced anything by then. Unfortunately, I don't think that it's going to be an issue by mid February.

Well, I think that a preemptive rally is a very good idea, even if it just has to be a general message that is sent.

And earlier comments that the rally needs to be LARGE are 100% on the mark.

There is a history of voters retaliating against the Democratic Party after major gun control laws have been past. Most notably on a Federal level after the 1994 Assault Gun ban. About the only states where that has not proven to be true are California, New York, and some New England states.

And that could be the only thing that can save us this year from major new gun restrictions. And if a large crowd can show up, that would really help bring this to the attention of members of the legislature.

It is a bit discouraging to see that Oregon pro-gun organizations and leaders are not better coordinated. Part of the money that Billionaire Bloomberg has poured into our state has helped to fund the new OREGON ALLIANCE TO PREVENT GUN VIOLENCE. This group was formed to help coordinate and organize anti-gun efforts in the state, and includes CEASEFIRE OREGON, THE BRADY CAMPAIGN TO PREVENT GUN VIOLENCE, GUN OWNERS FOR RESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP, MOMS DEMAND ACTION FOR GUN SENSE IN AMERICA OREGON CHAPTER, and the Oregon branch of Bloomberg's own national gun control organization: EVERYTOWN FOR GUN SAFETY.

People need to realize that our opponents are getting better organized and coordinated. And with all of this money being poured into them by Bloomberg, they are now getting good financial support too.

Bloomberg is the 10th richest man in America, and is worth over $35 Billion.

People that utilize any one of the 14 state exemptions for concealed carry are following the law. The weight of the law is supporting to each of those 14 exemptions equally. Whether it be a fisherman, a retired or active law enforcement officer, a chl bearer or a target shooter. Get over your bad self.

I'm not saying that you cannot have this discussion if you want to. I'm just saying that you should start your own thread about the topic, instead of interjecting it here into this discussion about the Salem rally. Doing that does a real disservice to this discussion. Besides being off-topic.

One of the reasons is to be visible to lawmakers while they are at the capitol. Realistically, it doesn't matter what the average voter thinks at this point. It's the influence we, and others have over our elected officials. It's also about the sacrifices that we are willing to make to exert that influence. Not everyone can take a vacation day, flex day, or personal day on that particular date, and that is understood. You can donate and you can also contribute your letter writing skills.

Oh, I am going to make every effort to attend. But making a 8am start means that I will have to leave home by 6:30am at the latest.

Seems to me that something like a 10am start would be more practical.

To be honest, though, I have no real experience in these matters. So maybe there are some considerations or factors that I am overlooking and not aware of.

I'm not saying that you cannot have this discussion if you want to. I'm just saying that you should start your own thread about the topic, instead of interjecting it here into this discussion about the Salem rally. Doing that does a real disservice to this discussion. Besides being off-topic.

This rally is for all walks of life to 'interject' their 2nd amendment beliefs. The only way to get the numbers to show up, is to appeal not only to your nanny state lovers backing a 'permit' to carry..... but to any and all 2nd amendment believers. I'm not gonna respond to you any further but hope you as much as anyone shows up & stands for their viewpoint to be seen. Standing your ground, can in more ways than one find common ground when utilizing freedom & the 2nd together.

Last Edited:
Those who show up at protests carrying firearms are as much an enemy of gun rights as the Bloombergs. You are perceived by outsiders as unstable individuals and many voters are coming to the conclusion that they need to be protected from you. Your only influence is negative. If you want to loose your right to keep your guns keep up this idiotic, irresponsible and threatening behavior. I would urge others to avoid and not support any rally where there is open carry.

Those who show up at protests carrying firearms are as much an enemy of gun rights as the Bloombergs. You are perceived by outsiders as unstable individuals and many voters are coming to the conclusion that they need to be protected from you. Your only influence is negative. If you want to loose your right to keep your guns keep up this idiotic, irresponsible and threatening behavior. I would urge others to avoid and not support any rally where there is open carry.
Lmao.... your edict eliduc, rings the tone of an unstable & wishful thinking anti-gunner..

Your logic is similar to shunning those holding their baby at an anti-abortion protest.. If you're ashamed to bear arms during a protest for keeping your 2nd amendment rights... then you surely can't be counted on when it truly matters.

Your logic is similar to shunning those holding their baby at an anti-abortion protest.. If you're ashamed to bear arms during a protest for keeping your 2nd amendment rights... then you surely can't be counted on when it truly matters.

But that is not what you have been doing here in this discussion. You have been advocating that people ignore and disobey Oregon's CHL law, which is extremely harmful for you to be doing here in this discussion about the rally.

If all you can now do is engage in ad hominem attacks against me, and try to make me the focus of this discussion, instead of talking about the real issues involved in the rally, then your arguments here are truly empty and ostentatious in nature.

But that is not what you have been doing here in this discussion. You have been advocating that people ignore and disobey Oregon's CHL law, which is extremely harmful for you to be doing here in this discussion about the rally.

If all you can now do is engage in ad hominem attacks against me, and try to make me the focus of this discussion, instead of talking about the real issues involved in the rally, then your arguments here are truly empty and ostentatious in nature.

The chl law falls alongside the 13 other exemptions in ors166. It doesn't stand alone with special 'privileges'. All 14 exemptions are equally exempt under Oregon law. Read it, learn it and if you want to Live by it. Enjoy your night, I'm off to enjoy the last night for all of us.....in 2014!!!! [emoji33]

This rally is for all walks of life to 'interject' their 2nd amendment beliefs. The only way to get the numbers to show up, is to appeal not only to your nanny state lovers backing a 'permit' to carry..... but to any and all 2nd amendment believers. I'm not gonna respond to you any further but hope you as much as anyone shows up & stands for their viewpoint to be seen. Standing your ground, can in more ways than one find common ground when utilizing freedom & the 2nd together.

Now you have engaged in yet another disreputable and dishonest debate tactic: making up a Straw Man argument against me. I never said for you or anyone else to not show up at this rally. You are being totally disingenuous here by putting words in my mouth that I have never said in this discussion.

It is you who is guilty of being the divisive person here, by interjecting disobeying and ignoring the law into this discussion.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews