JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will you be attending on February 9th?

• Yes! Protecting our rights is of the utmost importance.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • No. But I will be contributing to the event's fundraiser.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I can't make it.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • No. It's not worth my time.

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
There are those that prefer to live alone in the woods with minimal contact with others, and I don't begrudge them their lifestyle. But that's not how the majority of us live.

The thing we don't need is people in cammo, armed with AKs and ARs, pretending to be badazzes and walking into the capitol building during a legislative session. Those turning this into their personal Rambo, militia exhibition are selfishly driving people away in the name of their own little parade and pity party. That does nothing to help convince the public that we're responsible citizens standing up for our rights.

I have to agree with that. It always comes back to the same ol' adage; "just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD". o_O

I will be there, neatly and warmly dressed. With a professional looking sign! I may or may not carry a long gun. I did change my opinion from the previous rally's, and I think that a 2A rally is an appropriate place for OC. Just be a gentleman, it's not so hard. I once acted like a gentleman for three whole hours!
Bring a friend, or spouse and the kids. I invite members from SW Washington to come down and help.

BTW, everybody has expressed they're opinion on OC/no OC. People are GOING to carry! Let's just all let it go and turn our energy towards our goals. Division in the ranks is so very counter productive!

Last Edited:
I went the last time. It was pretty cool.

As far as the poll goes is there a button for "Yes I would like to go but don't want to have my legs swept by mall ninjas that don't know how to carry a rifle pointed at the ground"?

I never open carry, but I plan on doing so at this event - a pistol in a OWB holster. I think that makes the point without being too brazen ;) It will actually be my first time OCing in public.

I agree that dressing up in camo & slinging the ye ole AK over the shoulder sure looks cool, but it does us no favors for the more moderate voter who is unsure about firearms...

I agree that dressing up in camo & slinging the ye ole AK over the shoulder sure looks cool, but it does us no favors for the more moderate voter who is unsure about firearms...
While wee all can do what we want, but when I see this activity, then read the news, they local news/media seems to twist it from gun right supports to gun fanatics show up ready for war. Not exactly the image I like to get on the news.

Keep in mind, it's only legal to carry loaded on capitol grounds if you have a valid CHL.

Actually, if you look at the Salem City Code in Chapter 95, section 095, you will see that this is illegal to do in all public places within the Salem city limits now. You thus now have to have a CHL in order to carry a loaded weapon in the city of Salem.

I fully agree with earlier comments that carrying large prominent signs with appropriate messages on them opposing gun control would be the much better tactic.

Otherwise, the liberal news media is going to have a field day at the rally, with their cameras focused on the folks carrying AK-47's and AR-15's.

I've yet to see any news organization not go for sensationalism when covering a story. So the smart thing to do is to not give them that opportunity to distort what the event is all about, and assist them in engaging in their usual fear-mongering.

While wee all can do what we want, but when I see this activity, then read the news, they local news/media seems to twist it from gun right supports to gun fanatics show up ready for war. Not exactly the image I like to get on the news.

Yep, that is exactly what many in the news media did at the last rally in Salem.

I sure hope that those idiots that entered the Capitol with rifles will not be back. Photos of them were plastered on many news websites and video of them showed up on many local TV news programs. They certainly did gun owners no good thing by pulling that stunt.

12242072-standard.jpg

In contrast, this is how the people protesting in Salem IN FAVOR of an assault weapons ban looked in news coverage:

gun-rally660.jpg

We're already seeing the backlash from the jerks in the photos above. The first Oregon bill introduced for this session would prohibit carry into a courthouse, even though the judge has that authority now. We also saw the introduction of a bill last session that would prohibit carry anywhere there is a meeting of any number of legislators. That would include town hall meetings, as well as a restaurant where two legislators were meeting over lunch. Expect both to see some amendments or come back to life in another form.

Don't get me wrong, we don't need to be spineless pacifists, but we also don't need to come across as chest thumping smart azzes that are pointing out that we'll do as we dang well please, and the hell with the rest of you. Just use your brain and see the bigger picture.

We're all mad at this, or at least should be. If you're not red faced with steam coming out your ears at some point, then you're not taking this seriously. It has nothing to do with saving the children and everything about controlling the population. Get mad, get pizzed, and then sit down and develop a VIABLE plan to combat this.

Actually, if you look at the Salem City Code in Chapter 95, section 095, you will see that this is illegal to do in all public places within the Salem city limits now. You thus now have to have a CHL in order to carry a loaded weapon in the city of Salem.

I fully agree with earlier comments that carrying large prominent signs with appropriate messages on them opposing gun control would be the much better tactic.

Otherwise, the liberal news media is going to have a field day at the rally, with their cameras focused on the folks carrying AK-47's and AR-15's.

I've yet to see any news organization not go for sensationalism when covering a story. So the smart thing to do is to not give them that opportunity to distort what the event is all about, and assist them in engaging in their usual fear-mongering.
You don't need to have a chl to legally carry concealed and loaded in Salem or any other city or county in the State of Oregon.

There are 13 other exemptions statewide that legally allows one to carry concealed and loaded. Most don't pertain to every day Oregonians but there are numerous shooting ranges and Year Round fishing ponds in every city. Carry a fishing license and a pole in your car and if you state you are going to or from a fishing trip, then it's covered under one of the 14 exemptions alongside the chl.

The 1 exemption that thousands of Oregonians can use without any extra paperwork & permission from the state is if they simply say they are going to or from a shooting range. But if you're one of the many Oregonians that like to fish or hunt, you can use that fishing or hunting license to carry concealed if you state you are coming or going from one of those expeditions.

Its on the state to prove that you were not going to throw a cast in at the local year round pond after the gun rally. Having the tackle & pole would be enough. There's never been an Oregonian prosecuted while using any 1 of the 14 legal defenses covered under ors 166...

Granted none of this matters unless you actually have contact with law enforcement asking about your business. You are more likely to come across someone from the public wanting to know your business, than an officer. And if something is concealed then there is no issue to be known.

Last Edited:
You don't need to have a chl to legally carry concealed and loaded in Salem or any other city or county in the State of Oregon.

There are 13 other exemptions statewide that legally allows one to carry concealed and loaded. Most don't pertain to every day Oregonians but there are numerous shooting ranges and Year Round fishing ponds in every city. Carry a fishing license and a pole in your car and if you state you are going to or from a fishing trip, then it's covered under one of the 14 exemptions alongside the chl.

The 1 exemption that thousands of Oregonians can use without any extra paperwork & permission from the state is if they simply say they are going to or from a shooting range. But if you're one of the many Oregonians that like to fish or hunt, you can use that fishing or hunting license to carry concealed if you state you are coming or going from one of those expeditions.

Its on the state to prove that you were not going to throw a cast in at the local year round pond after the gun rally. Having the tackle & pole would be enough. There's never been an Oregonian prosecuted while using any 1 of the 14 legal defenses covered under ors 166...

Granted none of this matters unless you actually have contact with law enforcement asking about your business. You are more likely to come across someone from the public wanting to know your business, than an officer. And if something is concealed then there is no issue to be known.

It would be incredibly poor judgement for anyone to try to carry a firearm concealed and loaded without having a CHL.

It would be incredibly poor judgement for anyone to try to carry a firearm concealed and loaded without having a CHL.

Lots n lots of Oregonians do it (legally) every year while fishing/hunting and target shooting. I would wager there are far more target shooters, hunters & fishermen (or women) that carry concealed without ever getting a chl than those that actually give the State additional money & info, that it's not entitled to. This was established and the accepted practice for most outdoorsmen around the State long before the chl ever came about.

If it ends up a small turnout, we will have the same fiasco take place that Washington did on 2014 with I-594.
Just a forewarning.
If this is to be preemptive it needs to be at a nuclear level.

40K people on the forum, and 22 on this poll question is not very impressive.
Now if that were 22,000... yes that would work. :) That would give them the brown shorts.

Last Edited:
If it ends up a small turnout, we will have the same fiasco take place that Washington did on 2014 with I-594.
Just a forewarning.
If this is to be preemptive it needs to be at a nuclear level.

40K people on the forum, and 22 on this poll question is not very impressive.
Now if that were 22,000... yes that would work. :) That would give them the brown shorts.

The question is, how do you get people to turn out? I'm making plans to go, and I'll encourage others too. Perhaps people will be more motivated in Oregon after seeing what failing to be involved did in Washington. Failure to act, failure to vote, failure to get out and do something allowed gun-grabbers in Washington to dictate to gun owners how THEY think gun owners should do things. Hopefully Oregon gun-owners are much smarter than that.

Lots n lots of Oregonians do it (legally) every year while fishing/hunting and target shooting. I would wager there are far more target shooters, hunters & fishermen (or women) that carry concealed without ever getting a chl than those that actually give the State additional money & info, that it's not entitled to. This was established and the accepted practice for most outdoorsmen around the State long before the chl ever came about.

For you to advocate this in a discussion about the Salem rally is both reckless and irresponsible of you.

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR