JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So page 27 of the game regs says land owner and AGENTS can spotlight. Huh how did that happen. But under ors498.012
1) Nothing in the wildlife laws is intended to prevent any person from taking any wildlife that is causing damage, is a public nuisance or poses a public health risk on land that the person owns or lawfully occupies.
So the game regs have nothing to do with removal of damage or nuisance animals. Period. No interpetation. Period.

So they admit that the laws are contradictory but that they will confiscate your things and try you under Game regs that have NOTHING to do with what you are doing. It would be hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt when the laws are contradictory.

My hunting partner is a lawyer nad says nothing IS strong wording and leaves nothing for interpetation. You have made my previous point in my other post that OSP officers will flat out lie to get things their way. Or how they want things.

I must admit ive done the samething, But we did it after talking with the OSP officer years ago in Crane, Or. He said as long as we were not shooting towards or around big game animals to help ourselves to any "Jack rabbits and Coyotes". But if we were to see a deer or elk to drive atleast a half mile before turning on our light again. So im confused on what's "Legal" and what's not.

So I heard back from a friend of mine today who is a Sgt. for OSP Fish and Game division. He said that the statutes are a bit contradicting to each other but by NO MEANS, PUBLIC OR PRIVATE can you cast a light of ANY KIND. Whether you are 500ft from the vehicle or not. This does not apply to the Private land OWNER, but does not cover agents even in this case. He said, and check with an Eastern Oregon Sgt. who deals with this type of thing more often, that any artificial light no matter what species of animal in NOT LEGAL whether in the vehicle or 500ft. away from it. ANY LIGHT PERIOD when in possession of a firearm is considered "casting a light while armed" and can land you a hefty fine as well as confiscation of firearms, vehicle, and three years NO HUNTING....
I admit I have done it unknowing of the law. I told him so, but you can bet I will not do it again. No sense losing your guns and hunting privileges.
I am working on getting copies of the statutes and their numbers so each of you can look deeper into it yourselves.

Please PM me the name of your SGT friend, I will be contacting the OSP about him. It sounds like your friend the Sgt needs to go back to school because he doesn't understand what the word EXCEPTION means or what an AGENT is. Maybe he wants to be president one day? It is LEGAL to spotlight from a vehicle on private land for predators AND it is legal to spotlight on public land for Bobcat, Raccoons and possums. Tell him to talk to Senior Trooper Love. Yes Love the only trooper by that name. He is out of the Bend office. This is a very sad that a SGT in the OSP is telling you FALSE information.

Now, that sounds like good common sense! first in this thread.
I must admit ive done the samething, But we did it after talking with the OSP officer years ago in Crane, Or. He said as long as we were not shooting towards or around big game animals to help ourselves to any "Jack rabbits and Coyotes". But if we were to see a deer or elk to drive atleast a half mile before turning on our light again. So im confused on what's "Legal" and what's not.

Glad I brought this up always good to clear things up.

I am gonna try and gather what info I can from the game synopsis and ORS code and go to ODF&W and try and get some BLACK AND WHITE answers instead of the gray that there seems to be a lot of. Any input will be appreciated from all. FACTUAL INPUT PLEASE....NOT OPINIONS. PM me any links or codes/statutes you have would be helpful....

I just got back from Burns last night, my son and I went and spent 8 hours slaying slaying sage rats! what a blast! 1300 rounds down range, you can sure kill a few boxes on those things!

That's great! Thanks for the range report Sandman! We're shooting with Shooters Service Unlimited in about a month. Can't wait!
I would suggest about 750-1000 rounds for each person per day that is going. My son and I were messing around some but we could have belted through 750 rounds easily had we been serious. We were there for about 7 hours. More rats than you can shoot in a day!

I had no idea about the spotlighting rules in Oregon, does anyone know off the top of their head if those rules apply to Utah or Nevada? I will have to do some research! Good information to know, I suppose!

I would suggest about 750-1000 rounds for each person per day that is going. My son and I were messing around some but we could have belted through 750 rounds easily had we been serious. We were there for about 7 hours. More rats than you can shoot in a day!

Thanks for the tip! I just picked up another 1,000 rounds just to be safe :s0155:

Anyone know any good places around the Eugene/Springfield area? I've been wanting to go all summer but don't know any places here and haven't made it out east either (where I do know some areas). I'd really appreciate it

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews