JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Boy oh boy the sage rate thread turned into scary law talk real quick :rolleyes: How bout this fellas, who cares who's breaking a rule here and there anyway? We're all out there having fun!!!

Back to the point....

I myself don't have to worry about all that though, my grandfather lives on 40 acres outside of Prineville. Also his rear property line backs up to hundreds of BLM acres going all the way to the reservoir. I was out there a couple weeks ago and it was damn cold. I didn't see a single sage rat, zip, most of their "hot spots" looked pretty unused as well. I didn't even spot any cottontails. Still have a couple months I'd say before they get real active in eastern Oregon.

But when things really pick up we like to roll around on the 4wheelers, 12/18g on the rack, if you roll around in little patterns fairly slow they will start popping up to check you out. They almost never look while your walking of course. But that motor brings em out, so when I spot one in range I just kick it in N, stand up and take the shot. Works Great!! Now cotton tails on the other hand you have to get crafty. Sometimes when we're shooting sage rats the neighbors two beagles make their way over, cuz they know it's rabbit hunting time soon. They are a big help out there in the sage brush.

Good Times in the Desert! :s0155:

thanks...

i picked up a 17hmr and i cant wait to see the pink mist....

8643564469_0d9304efc2_c.jpg

First time out for sage rats around the Prosser-Grandview area. Buddy knows some of the vineyard owners and they do have a rat problem. Decent conditions for early shooting, a bit breezy but temp in the mid 60's and sunshine so they were out. We tagged quite a few with our M&P15-22's and my other buddy's 10.5" AMT Lightning (kind of a Ruger MK I ripoff that ceased production when Ruger won a patent infringement lawsuit against AMT). The areas we were shooting are fairly close to some houses, so it is rimfire only. After cruising the rows for the short range targets, we moved to the "high ground" and busted out our .17HMR's. That spot adjoined a road and orchard and gave us some decent opportunities out to 175 yards or so. Difficult to connect at that range with some fairly gusty winds, but accounted for a dozen or so between 90 and 125 yards. Even launched a couple of them 2 feet or so into the air. Best "aerials" I have produced with a rimfire. I have been know to launch close range gophers in Montana up to 10 feet in the air, however the target rarely maintains structural integrity when contacted with a 40 gr V-Max, Ballistic Tip, or Sierra Hollow Point at close range with a muzzle velocity over 3600 fps. The Montana gophers will have to wait until late May or early June, since they tend to need nice sunny weather to really be out in force, and the High Line is currently still having some snow showers. Have to say I was favorably impressed with the .17 HMR performance even at 100 yards or longer. Really anchors the critters. Looking forward to breaking out the .223 when the time comes, though. Missed last summer, was too busy at work to take the time off. Will be going this summer for sure. Might even make two trips, since one of my friends daughter is getting married in July. Hopefully the gophers will still be out and about. :D

I was just in Christmas Valley and Fort Rock last Thursday. The fields in Christmas valley are getting too tall. We drove around for a couple hours and only saw about a dozen rats and about the same in Fort Rock. The wind was calm and temp was around 70. They should have been everywhere.

Just driving bavk now from Christmas Valley. Only saw a small handful of Sage Rats all weekend. Popped a few dozen J ack Rabbits though.
Did you shoot rats on Dinsdale farm Property or surrounding private property?
I know Dinsdale farm are now poisoning the rats so that's gonna cut down the numbers but I'm curious about surrounding farms. At this time have arrangements to go back at the end of May for the memorial day weekend hope the grass has been cut by then but most likely not so will be tall.

None of the fields looked to have hardly any. Years in the past they have been scampering around everywhere. I quickly put away the 10/22 and pulled out the AR to pop bunnies

Did you shoot rats on Dinsdale farm Property or surrounding private property?
I know Dinsdale farm are now poisoning the rats so that's gonna cut down the numbers but I'm curious about surrounding farms. At this time have arrangements to go back at the end of May for the memorial day weekend hope the grass has been cut by then but most likely not so will be tall.

We're headed over for Memorial Day weekend too. It's my first time hunting sage rats, do I need a hunting license?

Yeah to hunting thing in oregon you need a License. I think there are a few rare occasions if it's like on your private property but don't hold me to that but in 99% of all cases a need a license

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top